• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two people dead, seven hurt in Miami AK-47 shooting

MetalChris

imported post

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-bn-0123-miami-shooting,0,1132877.story

Andrew Ba Tran |SunSentinel.com
7:30 PM EST, January 24, 2009

MIAMI - Denise Grant, 34, was in the kitchen of her third-floor apartment across the street when she heard gunshots. "It was like ba-ba-ba-ba-bam and then blam, blam, blam," she said.

She said she dove to the floor and yelled at her four kids in the apartment to do the same. Five minutes later, when the gunshots stopped, she ventured outside. "When I opened the door, I just saw people lying down in the street, screaming," she said.

A man wielding an assault rifle had fired into a crowd of people playing an outdoor game of dice Friday night, killing two local teenagers, police said. Seven other people were wounded.

Police this evening identified the two killed as Brandon Mills, 16, and Derrick Gloster, 18.

City officials, community activists and the police chief gathered at the shooting scene - Northwest 14th Avenue and Northwest 71st Street - Saturday morning begging for witnesses to help identify the shooter, and to decry the rise in assault-weapons attacks.

"There were a lot of people out there last night, and it's understandable that some are afraid to come forward, but we will take anonymous tips," said Miami Police Chief John Timoney.

Timoney said the homicides last year from assault weapons has jumped to 29 percent of all shooting fatalities. "These are weapons of war and they don't belong on the streets of Miami or any other street in America," said Miami Mayor Manny Diaz.

According to detectives, a man with an AK-47 assault rifle fired several rounds, and then ran around a corner, continuing to fire. At the site around the corner, investigators said they found rounds from a second weapon. Police are trying to determine who fired the second weapon, and would not say what type of weapon it was.

About a hundred green markers, indicating bullet shells, were scattered across Northwest 14th Avenue, amid dried pools of blood behind yellow police tape Saturday morning. Of the seven wounded, one was in critical condition, four were in stable condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, and two had been released from the hospital police said.

Police declined to release the identities of the slain teens, only saying their ages were 16 and 18.

Andrew Jackson, 16, had been shot in the buttocks and was recovering at the hospital, his mother, Danielle Coles, 45, said Saturday. As she rushed to Jackson's side immediately after the shooting, Coles said, she heard another victim with "his face blown off" call out "don't leave me, don't leave me."

Six of the nine victims are current or former students from nearby Miami Northwestern Senior High School, Superintendent for Miami-Dade County Public Schools Alberto Carvalho said.

"Monday morning, we will have crisis management and psychologists on hand to provide help at the school," Carvalho said.

Marilyn Robertson, who was at the hospital Saturday morning, said her two sons were both struck in the hail of bullets. Will, 19, was hit five times and Earl, 20, was struck twice and scrambled under a car to hide. "I can't take no more," she said, shaking her head, crying.

Robertson said she was told her sons would probably pull through.

Michelle Coleman, 19, was on her way to the hospital to check on her brother, Donald Coleman, 20, who was on life support.

She had sent her brother down the street to the store to pick up sodas and chips for her children. Minutes later, she heard gunshots. "I was praying it wasn't him," she recalled. Coleman ran outside and found her path blocked by police.

Donald Coleman had been shot at least twice, in the chest and stomach. "He's on life support right now. They say he might not make it," she said, tearing up.

---------------

I bet that Mayor Diaz and Chief Timoney would recommend disarming the citizens...that way only the gang bangers would have access to these "weapons of war." :banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Just your normal, every day high school kids I'll bet.

Let's all blame the evil guns and not the person(s). :banghead:

Yata hey

SlackwareRobert

imported post

OC a pistol is illegal, but is ok to have an assault rifle slung on your back.
Why didn't the poice check for tax stamps when they encountered these
stand up citizens.
Anyone want to take odds, they will never be charged with those crimes.

I always was against OC at the crap tables, to much else to watch over,
but looks like you still need to CC.

As for no witnesses, who in their right mind would come forward, and
be fingered by the police who have no interest in stopping these
thugs. this falls in with there gun grabbing agenda.

They should have been complaining that the other citizens wern't armed
so they could stop the creeps.

suntzu

imported post

This will be used as a stepping stone to take the AKs.

The AK that the people can have is NOT a "weapon of war"--I hate to say this about anyone,but that police chief and mayor of Miami are idiots.

MetalChris

imported post

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbceremonybox0127sbjan27,0,3396742.story

Senate candidate: Miami shootings prove need for assault weapons ban

January 27, 2009

Meek calls for reinstating ban on assault weapons U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek said Monday that last week's shooting in Miami that left seven people injured and two dead shows the need for reinstating the federal ban on assault weapons.

"We should go back to the assault weapons ban, just for the very reason to prevent what happened," Meek said. "These AK-47s in the hands of individuals that are undesirables [is] something that should not be tolerated."

Meek is seeking the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate next year.

Meek's district includes part of south Broward and the Liberty City section of Miami where the shootings took place.
--------------
I like the choice of words, "in the hands of individuals that are undesirables." While I don't disagree that the perpetrators of this shooting were obviously "undesirables," who makes the distinction? Representative Meek? Senator Pelosi? Chucky Schumer? In my book, they are undesirables, so they should be banned from speaking, right?
/rant off

r6-rider

imported post

son of a b**** just what we need right now!!!!

ban guns? F*** that, it would of ended a hell of alot faster if the good guys with THEIR AK's ran out there and gunned this guy down instead of filing a f***ing report