• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time

RogueWarrior

imported post

OK guys and girls I opened carry for the first time today and it felt weird It felt like everyone was watching me. I went to Borders and then to Wal Mart noone said anything and I walked passed several workers and spoke to a few so I had a great day

RogueWarrior

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Congrats! :celebrate Feels pretty good, eh?

So I am curious... you've been a member for over a year now.

What took so damn long? ;)
I had to wait until I got my permanent residency and to get some spare cash :lol:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

IIRC walmart sells alcohol.

IIRC NM does not allow carry into a place that sells alcohol unless you have a permit.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

IIRC NM does not allow carry into a place that sells alcohol unless you have a permit.

Does that ordinance state a prohibition of going armed in a place that sells alcohol to go, or sells alcohol for consumption on the premises? There's a big difference?

I think we've all gone through that spell of being self-conscious when we first OC'd a few times, Aussie. Just be yourself when your're out OCing and it will subside.

RogueWarrior

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Does that ordinance state a prohibition of going armed in a place that sells alcohol to go, or sells alcohol for consumption on the premises? There's a big difference?

I think we've all gone through that spell of being self-conscious when we first OC'd a few times, Aussie. Just be yourself when your're out OCing and it will subside.

The Wal Mart I went to does not sell alcohol

Brandnew

imported post

I believe the rule of thumb is that there must be a sign posted stating that no persons under the age of 21 are allowed there. For example, you can carry in the general seating portion of a restaurant that serves alcohol, but you are not allowed in the bar section with your pistol. Though this may only be true in my state. I'm sure that different states may well look at this differently.

nova

imported post

Brandnew wrote:
I believe the rule of thumb is that there must be a sign posted stating that no persons under the age of 21 are allowed there. For example, you can carry in the general seating portion of a restaurant that serves alcohol, but you are not allowed in the bar section with your pistol. Though this may only be true in my state. I'm sure that different states may well look at this differently.
In Virginia it goes like this:

You can OC and CC in an establishment that does not sell alcohol for on-premises consumption. If the place does have a license to sell for on-premises consumption, you can not CC, but you CAN open carry.

Virginia doesn't have 'stand alone' bars, but we do have "bars" that have a restaurant attached.

Lastly, you can carry concealed (and openly) into places that have a license to sell alcohol as long as it is not for on-premises consumption, like the VA ABC stores and supermarkets for example.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
OK guys and girls I opened carry for the first time today and it felt weird It felt like everyone was watching me. I went to Borders and then to Wal Mart noone said anything and I walked passed several workers and spoke to a few so I had a great day

Congrats! Glad to hear of the positive experience!! Keep it up, like was already said on here, the feeling of all eyes in the place being on you will disipate before too long! Have fun and keep us posted!!