• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Right to Carry Act 2009

ldcarson

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While not an Open Carry issue, certainly a 2a issue. Going to be tough to pass in teh Dem controlled enviroment.

National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced

Friday, January 23, 2009

U.S. Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Rick Boucher (D-Va.), recently introduced H.R. 197-- the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009"--a bill that would provide national recognition for valid state Right-to-Carry licensees.

The bill would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if the permit holder meets certain criteria. In states that issue permits, a state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal standard would apply. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.

Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) is expected to introduce the Senate companion bill in the near future. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I'll be very surprised if it passes.

Just look at the gay marriage issue and how many states allow it. Texas doesn't and will not acknowledge it, thankfully. And as passionate as we are about that there are others that just as passionate against 2A and CC.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

And is it something we WANT passed? Do we want to cede that kind of power to the federal government, or is it better to have 50 states making their own laws?

It might end up a long time from now that this law could be the beginning of other federal laws that regulate carry, and may override state powers in areas we don't want them to.

Just something to think about... I like the idea of being able to carry in all 50 states with less hassle. There are certain states that I literally drive around on road trips just to avoid breaking the law.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, right! :?The government does not have the power to enact this.

Even if the dems allowed it to pass, The President would quickly turn it into toilet paper.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Obama has already stated that he is against CC for individuals. I am convinced that if this bill pass the House and Senate, it will get a veto by Obama, which will be veto proof.And, that will be that.

I use to think a bill like this would make things easier; now, I am not so sure. Maybe some of you out there can convince me otherwise........

2nd Amendment.......Use it.......Or, lose it!!:X

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

The sad thing is that the majority of Pro 2A people are law abiding citizens. I would hate for these un-American politicians to turn us all into criminals, but it seems like that could happen in the next four years.

Who knows... Some people will always carry no matter what the law says...

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.