Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carry badge?

Post imported post

In a recent conversation with my wife about my open carry preference, up until today has been never done, I wondered aloud about LEO's.

I have seen several off duty LEO's open carry and right next to their firearm is a badge attached to the belt.

I have seen badges that say things like "concealed carry permit holder" or similar statements. What peoplesee is a person carrying a gun on his / her hip. What they perceive is "bad guy" or "dangerous guy".

Would carrying a little belt badge help to make people more comfortable? Obviously it can not read police, but if it clearly states "concealed carry holder" most people will just equate the two items together as this is a "good guy" and move on about their day.

As long as a person doesn't say he / she is an LEO the item on their belt is just jewlery. Would doing this hurt the idea of ones right to open carry?

My name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ht=carry+badge

I believe the consensus was that it is ultimately a personal choice, however there were also many negative responses.

Post imported post

I'm sure I will catch some flame for this, but here it goes.

Wearinga CC permit badge (or whatever it's called) to me would be construed as someonewho is hoping others would think they arean officer or the law.

I feel the same way as if someone were carrying handcuffs in the open.

When I am out and about, the last thing I want people to think is thatI am an officer of the law, it doesn't matter if I am OCing or CCing.

The last thingthe OC groupneeds is for others to consider us cop wannabes.

Post imported post

no, no, and no.

Bad idea.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

very valid points. That was an idea that my wife and I came up with as well, that it could be taken as a negative by LEO's. the wannabe syndrome does no one any good. and in an emergency, like being in a store that is getting robbed, that could make the bad guy really really nervous.

Being new I did not realize there had already been a posting and conversation on this topic, so I apologize for the repeat subject.

No I am not going to wear any silly badge, or should I say "Badge? I don't need no stinking badge"!

I am going to run an errand after work today and I will be open carry all the way. This will be the first time I do it so next week I will post on how it went.

Post imported post

hawaidvr9 wrote:
    In unison we all say: "HI JAMES." "Here is your chip..."

-adamsesq

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    no, no, and no.

Bad idea.
    What about people who drive around in ex-Police cars with blacked out windows?
    If you have to fight, do not fear death. We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely! And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly. Meet him as the proud warrior that you are, and not as a sniveling coward. Nobody lives forever.

Post imported post

Wearing a CC permit badge (or whatever it's called) to me would be construed as someone who is hoping others would think they are an officer or the law.
    My thoughts exactly. It may cause less people to give you crap about OCing, if they think you are a cop, but I imagine the cops won't take it lightly, though prosecution is unlikely under the RCW criminal impersonation statutes.

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
    Now, that's funny!

But, I gotta admit, it was fun riding in Mainsail's car down I5 to Olympia to go shooting a couple of months ago. Everyone slowed up and got out of the left lane for us. He drove, but he let me run the siren and lights! We made the trip in record time.

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    no, no, and no.

Bad idea.
    Kill the blacked out window idea, if you are going to drive around in an "ex-Police car" you need to dress like the Blues Brothers.

Post imported post

My badge is called a Serpa CQC
    It holds my pistol.
    Those who read it correctly know it says I am a good guy.
    If I were a bad guy I'd hide my firearm.
    The only folks I have run into with a negative response have been phobic. A form of neurosis, this needs counseling, not a badge for me.

Don't misread the above, James
    Welcome
    And for carrying openly

Post imported post

Hammer wrote:

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    no, no, and no.

Bad idea.
    I have no clue what you're talking about sir.

The vehicle is also registered/insured by my company. I'm aware of the possible misperceptions which is why I go out of my way to not add to them.

If you need any equipment Johnny, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can get for you. I deal with emergency lighting/equipment, communications, and installations, but I can usually order other stuff... Depends on the size of the order.

In WA, the 'impersonation' law is spelled out saying if you're trying to make someone think you're a cop, you're violating the law. The 'problem' is, they can't prove/disprove intent, so while it may get thrown out, you might beat the rap but you won't beat the ride...

Wearing a badge does absolutely nothing for our cause, paints us as wannabes and vigilantes, and undermines our efforts. If someone misidentifies you as an officer, that in of itself is not good, add to the fact that people will see you as officer with gun, not good guy with gun.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

Badge? Another nail in the coffin that keeps me from spending much time here anymore...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Serious poser or easily marketed to stuff behind those badges. I've seen some of the ads for 'em and can't decide who is more likely to buy them. Confused people who think it might be a good idea, or posers who want to feel more cop like. Common sense screams though that there is no reason to go around with a badge unless you need it to show as a symbol of authority.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    Badge? Another nail in the coffin that keeps me from spending much time here anymore...
    Oh, come on Mainsail... this thread was started by someone with less than 10 posts.

Are you really basing whether you stick around on what amounts to a 'noobie' mistake?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:
    Oh, come on Mainsail... this thread was started by someone with less than 10 posts.

Are you really basing whether you stick around on what amounts to a 'noobie' mistake?
    +1 :P

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

TechnoWeenie, did you rickroll yourself in your own car?

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Johnny Law wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    no, no, and no.

Bad idea.
    I'm aware of the possible misperceptions which is why I go out of my way to not add to them.
    I've seen you in that ride, and I knew that you weren't a Cop because of the excessive volume of the music blasting from inside it!

You and Mainsail should get together and play Cop cars.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death. We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely! And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly. Meet him as the proud warrior that you are, and not as a sniveling coward. Nobody lives forever.

Post imported post

I perosnlay think it is a great idea! I do not think it should be requiered but a good idea. I would how ever stay away from the word "bage" maybe somthing about the size of a drivers licence that could be cliped on your belt next to the gun. I am afrade the word "bage" is getting to close to impersonation of an officer. Or maybe even a copy of your CWP if you have one. Or maybe somthing stamped onto the holster it self that can be read. I do not do it on purpose but often find that when I wear a novelty T-shirt that has a fire logo on it I get much fewer looks than when I wear a plain shirt. I think over the general public see's a gun and thinks bad guy or illegal but when they see a logo or "bage" they feel much more comfortable with it. Good idea, thats my opinion.
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    TechnoWeenie, did you rickroll yourself in your own car?
    Man, you beat me to the punch Tomahawk. I was just going to make a Rickroll post about that myself!

EDIT: As I said in the other thread that is quite old, I'm not an LEO and I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to pretend to be an LEO (or tacticool, or amallninja, or awannabeLEO either). I think an OC or CC badge is a bad idea, and I'll stick to either deep CC, printing CC, or OC with no badge.

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Johnny Law wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    no, no, and no.

Bad idea.
    I'm aware of the possible misperceptions which is why I go out of my way to not add to them.
    I've seen you in that ride, and I knew that you weren't a Cop because of the excessive volume of the music blasting from inside it!

You and Mainsail should get together and play Cop cars.

LOL.

Sure that was me? Were you in your POV or cruiser?

There's only a handful of places I drive slow enough to hear music outside my car, and I can count on my hands the number of times I 'jammed out' in my car...

I'm betting it was in the vicinity of Marvin & Martin

ETA: You should have also seen my vanity tags, clearly not an LE vehicle

Post imported post

fire suppressor wrote:
    I perosnlay think it is a great idea! I do not think it should be requiered but a good idea. I would how ever stay away from the word "bage" maybe somthing about the size of a drivers licence that could be cliped on your belt next to the gun. I am afrade the word "bage" is getting to close to impersonation of an officer. Or maybe even a copy of your CWP if you have one. Or maybe somthing stamped onto the holster it self that can be read. I do not do it on purpose but often find that when I wear a novelty T-shirt that has a fire logo on it I get much fewer looks than when I wear a plain shirt. I think over the general public see's a gun and thinks bad guy or illegal but when they see a logo or "bage" they feel much more comfortable with it. Good idea, thats my opinion.
    That's completely disingenuous....

You're intentionally misleading the public into believing something you're more than you are.

You're a regular guy who believes in the freedoms of this country, not a gov't agent, not a police officer, or anything else.

Such behaviour not only makes US look bad, but also does nothing to further our cause because it makes the sheeple think it's 'official' as opposed to just everyday joe blow..

Post imported post

sheeple think it's 'official' as opposed to just everyday joe blow..

Egg-Zactly, I want the "sheeple" to learn that they too can legally carry a handgun in the open (OC).

I carry a gun for self defense.

I open carry a gun to defend my 2A rights.

We will lose that right if it is not excersized by we the people, so we need to convert as many sheeple back into people as we can.

Post imported post

That's completely disingenuous....

You're intentionally misleading the public into believing something you're more than you are
    +1 to that! Fire Suppressor's position just feeds into the harmful idea that "only official people can have guns".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast