• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry badge?

hawaidvr9

imported post

In a recent conversation with my wife about my open carry preference, up until today has been never done, I wondered aloud about LEO's.

I have seen several off duty LEO's open carry and right next to their firearm is a badge attached to the belt.

I have seen badges that say things like "concealed carry permit holder" or similar statements. What peoplesee is a person carrying a gun on his / her hip. What they perceive is "bad guy" or "dangerous guy".

Would carrying a little belt badge help to make people more comfortable? Obviously it can not read police, but if it clearly states "concealed carry holder" most people will just equate the two items together as this is a "good guy" and move on about their day.

As long as a person doesn't say he / she is an LEO the item on their belt is just jewlery. Would doing this hurt the idea of ones right to open carry?

My name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

Mississippian

imported post

I'm sure I will catch some flame for this, but here it goes.

Wearinga CC permit badge (or whatever it's called) to me would be construed as someonewho is hoping others would think they arean officer or the law.

I feel the same way as if someone were carrying handcuffs in the open.

When I am out and about, the last thing I want people to think is thatI am an officer of the law, it doesn't matter if I am OCing or CCing.

The last thingthe OC groupneeds is for others to consider us cop wannabes.

hawaidvr9

imported post

very valid points. That was an idea that my wife and I came up with as well, that it could be taken as a negative by LEO's. the wannabe syndrome does no one any good. and in an emergency, like being in a store that is getting robbed, that could make the bad guy really really nervous.

Being new I did not realize there had already been a posting and conversation on this topic, so I apologize for the repeat subject.

No I am not going to wear any silly badge, or should I say "Badge? I don't need no stinking badge"!

I am going to run an errand after work today and I will be open carry all the way. This will be the first time I do it so next week I will post on how it went.

My name is James and I am a gun owner that carries.

cynicist

imported post

Wearing a CC permit badge (or whatever it's called) to me would be construed as someone who is hoping others would think they are an officer or the law.
My thoughts exactly. It may cause less people to give you crap about OCing, if they think you are a cop, but I imagine the cops won't take it lightly, though prosecution is unlikely under the RCW criminal impersonation statutes.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
What about people who drive around in ex-Police cars with blacked out windows?

Now, that's funny!

But, I gotta admit, it was fun riding in Mainsail's car down I5 to Olympia to go shooting a couple of months ago. Everyone slowed up and got out of the left lane for us. He drove, but he let me run the siren and lights! We made the trip in record time. :D

Decoligny

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
no, no, and no.

Bad idea.

Kill the blacked out window idea, if you are going to drive around in an "ex-Police car" you need to dress like the Blues Brothers.

blues-brothers.jpg

Hammer

imported post

My badge is called a Serpa CQC
It holds my pistol.
Those who read it correctly know it says I am a good guy.
If I were a bad guy I'd hide my firearm.
The only folks I have run into with a negative response have been phobic. A form of neurosis, this needs counseling, not a badge for me.

Don't misread the above, James
Welcome
And :monkeyfor carrying openly :D

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
no, no, and no.

Bad idea.

I have no clue what you're talking about sir.

5.jpg

:D

The vehicle is also registered/insured by my company. I'm aware of the possible misperceptions which is why I go out of my way to not add to them.

6.jpg

If you need any equipment Johnny, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can get for you. I deal with emergency lighting/equipment, communications, and installations, but I can usually order other stuff... Depends on the size of the order.

In WA, the 'impersonation' law is spelled out saying if you're trying to make someone think you're a cop, you're violating the law. The 'problem' is, they can't prove/disprove intent, so while it may get thrown out, you might beat the rap but you won't beat the ride...

Wearing a badge does absolutely nothing for our cause, paints us as wannabes and vigilantes, and undermines our efforts. If someone misidentifies you as an officer, that in of itself is not good, add to the fact that people will see you as officer with gun, not good guy with gun.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Serious poser or easily marketed to stuff behind those badges. I've seen some of the ads for 'em and can't decide who is more likely to buy them. Confused people who think it might be a good idea, or posers who want to feel more cop like. Common sense screams though that there is no reason to go around with a badge unless you need it to show as a symbol of authority.

just_a_car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Badge? Another nail in the coffin that keeps me from spending much time here anymore...:cry:
Oh, come on Mainsail... this thread was started by someone with less than 10 posts.

Are you really basing whether you stick around on what amounts to a 'noobie' mistake?

Johnny Law

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Johnny Law wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
no, no, and no.

Bad idea.

I'm aware of the possible misperceptions which is why I go out of my way to not add to them.
I've seen you in that ride, and I knew that you weren't a Cop because of the excessive volume of the music blasting from inside it!

You and Mainsail should get together and play Cop cars.

fire suppressor

imported post

I perosnlay think it is a great idea! I do not think it should be requiered but a good idea. I would how ever stay away from the word "bage" maybe somthing about the size of a drivers licence that could be cliped on your belt next to the gun. I am afrade the word "bage" is getting to close to impersonation of an officer. Or maybe even a copy of your CWP if you have one. Or maybe somthing stamped onto the holster it self that can be read. I do not do it on purpose but often find that when I wear a novelty T-shirt that has a fire logo on it I get much fewer looks than when I wear a plain shirt. I think over the general public see's a gun and thinks bad guy or illegal but when they see a logo or "bage" they feel much more comfortable with it. Good idea, thats my opinion.