• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The VCU Dilemma

kenny

imported post

essayons wrote:
glockfan wrote:
One option you have is TRANI himself giving you his permission to carry. I wonder how many times he has given it? :lol: ZERO?

Trani is no longer president of VCU, and see my 3rd post in this thread regarding permission to carry.
Someone knows not of what they speak.

http://www.vcu.edu/president/

essayons

imported post

kenny wrote:
essayons wrote:
glockfan wrote:
One option you have is TRANI himself giving you his permission to carry. I wonder how many times he has given it? :lol: ZERO?

Trani is no longer president of VCU, and see my 3rd post in this thread regarding permission to carry.
Someone knows not of what they speak.

http://www.vcu.edu/president/
I stand corrected.

However he is no longer performing the duties of president, not since July 2008 when he underwent quintuple bypass surgery. He won't officially be stepping down in June to ensure a smooth transition to the next president. The Board of Visitors has been searching for a replacement, and the smart money is on Tim Kaine.

http://www.business.vcu.edu/node/192

Runcible

imported post

I live a few blocks from the VCU campus and should be receiving my Concealed Handgun Permit in the mail within the next few days. I don't like that VCU tries to ban CHP holders from carrying on campus, but I'm absolutely willing to respect that rule. I have no other connection to VCU other than living nearby.

The real problem for me - and essayon describes this in his initial post - is that there are many areas in my neighborhood that are within the outline of VCU's urban "campus" but are also public thoroughfares or house private businesses.

Examples:

• VCU owns commercial retail space on Broad St. that it rents out to tenants - Qdoba, Game Stop, Five Guys, etc. Are those private businesses covered by the VCU prohibition, because the buildings are owned by VCU and contain student housing on upper stories?
  • Park Ave. is a pedestrian mall for about three blocks as it passes by VCU buildings. Is that the VCU campus or is it still a public street? What about the sidewalks next to VCU buildings on public streets?
I am very eager to remain in full compliance with the rule. I just can't find any clarity on what the rule actually covers and it's frustrating.

nova

imported post

Runcible wrote:
I just can't find any clarity on what the rule actually covers and it's frustrating.
horray for gun laws! :?

kenny

imported post

Streets and sidewalks belong to the city. You need to look at the word campus. A building leased to a business is not a campus. Apartments that are rented to individuals that are students do not make them dorms. You may be talking about Ramz Hall as it is called. They are apartments not dorms.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Runcible wrote:
I live a few blocks from the VCU campus and should be receiving my Concealed Handgun Permit in the mail within the next few days. I don't like that VCU tries to ban CHP holders from carrying on campus, but I'm absolutely willing to respect that rule. I have no other connection to VCU other than living nearby.

The real problem for me - and essayon describes this in his initial post - is that there are many areas in my neighborhood that are within the outline of VCU's urban "campus" but are also public thoroughfares or house private businesses.

Examples:

• VCU owns commercial retail space on Broad St. that it rents out to tenants - Qdoba, Game Stop, Five Guys, etc. Are those private businesses covered by the VCU prohibition, because the buildings are owned by VCU and contain student housing on upper stories?
  • Park Ave. is a pedestrian mall for about three blocks as it passes by VCU buildings. Is that the VCU campus or is it still a public street? What about the sidewalks next to VCU buildings on public streets?
I am very eager to remain in full compliance with the rule. I just can't find any clarity on what the rule actually covers and it's frustrating.

As long as you are not a VCU student or employee, no worries.

skispcs

imported post

That one sentence in the AG opinion about when the university can deny permit holders, classrooms, dorms, events, etc always makes me laugh.

I attend classes in a relatively new building. It has NO classrooms, only offices and meeting rooms. The school purposely designed the building to have no classrooms so that it would not have an impact on their classroom utilization ratio.

They have to report the classroom utilization ratio to the state and a low number would "look" bad so there are no classrooms.

I guess that a non-student could carry there....

kenny

imported post

Runcible,

You are reading way too much into the situation. A city street is a city street. Do they repair and maintain the street. I don't think so.

Perhaps you should have asked your instructor to cover this in the class you your took. Oh, wait, let me guess you took the on-line course?

essayons

imported post

kenny wrote:
Runcible,

You are reading way too much into the situation. A city street is a city street. Do they repair and maintain the street. I don't think so.

Perhaps you should have asked your instructor to cover this in the class you your took. Oh, wait, let me guess you took the on-line course?
Actually, yes, VCU repairs, maintains, cleans, polices, and provides parking enforcement on the streets and sidewalks that run through its campus. I'm not sure of the exact details of their arrangement with the City of Richmond, but VCU also provides nearly all of the maintenance of Monroe Park (a city park).

Runcible

imported post

kenny wrote:
Runcible,

You're kind of a dick, huh? I brushed off your last snide remark but you should probably learn to mind your manners.

On the upside I've been on this forum for just a few hours and I've already identified at least one of the trolls.

wylde007

imported post

essayons wrote:
Actually, yes, VCU repairs, maintains, cleans, polices, and provides parking enforcement on the streets and sidewalks that run through its campus. I'm not sure of the exact details of their arrangement with the City of Richmond, but VCU also provides nearly all of the maintenance of Monroe Park (a city park).
VCU mills and repaves public streets?

Not to be argumentative (well, maybe a wee bit :) ) but I find that highly unlikely.

Runcible

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
essayons wrote:
VCU mills and repaves public streets?

Not to be argumentative (well, maybe a wee bit :) ) but I find that highly unlikely.
As I mentioned, some of the streets have been converted into a pedestrian mall, and VCU does have maintenance responsibility for them. VCU also has its own parking enforcement unit and its own police force - it's almost like a city within a city.

And that works OK in Rome because the Vatican has walls. VCU doesn't have walls, thus my initial line of inquiry.

wylde007

imported post

Runcible wrote:
As I mentioned, some of the streets have been converted into a pedestrian mall, and VCU does have maintenance responsibility for them. VCU also has its own parking enforcement unit and its own police force - it's almost like a city within a city.
I've been to VCU and I know the Richmond area... so-so, I guess.

A "pedestrian" mall is quite different from a public street. Numerous posts here have alluded to the extent of an undertaking the labeling VCU streets/campus areas as "VCU Campus Property" would be.

Portions of Broad Street are do not become VCU property simply because they pass by a VCU building.

Spectre

imported post

Ok if I'm reading this right (I'm horrible at translating legaleze). Since I am not a student nor am I faculty or staff at VCU, or any college for that matter, I can carry my firearms OC or CC and not be in breach of law?

wylde007

imported post

Runcible wrote:
And that works OK in Rome because the Vatican has walls. VCU doesn't have walls, thus my initial line of inquiry.
Also, Vatican City is an independent, sovereign nation (state).

VCU is not.