• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help keep National Parks safe

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

Folks,

You probably already know that the new Interior Secretary is Ken Salazar. He has been quoted as supporting the current pro-self defense regulation in National Parks and Wildlife refuges. However,

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2009/2009-01-23-092.asp

On the controversial DOI regulation passed late last year that allows members of the public to carry concealed and loaded firearms in national parks, Salazar told a National Park Service employee concerned about assaults on park rangers that he would "take a look at it."

>From the audience, Einar Olson from the National Park Service said the national parks get 275 million visitors a year and park rangers and officers are already the most assaulted of all law enforcement officers.

Salazar responded that he has used a gun since he was a child and feels a sense of comfort when he has a gun with him. "I'm a defender of the 2nd Amendment," he said, noting that the regulation is a subject of litigation. "We'll take a look at it. I don't have an answer for you at this time," he said.

[line]

We need to let the new Secretary know we mean business and want that regulation to stick.

We need to start by contacting our Senators Webb & Warner to get moving. Tell them you'd like them to contact Secretary Salazar to let him know we want that regulation to remain in effect.

Senator Webb's contact is Nelson_Jones@webb.senate.gov

Here is a copy of one email sent his way:

Good morning Nelson,

I noticed this article contained some information about the National Parks weapons regulations. This indicates to me that Secretary Salazar needs to hear from us. A quick call from Senator Webb reminding the Secretary that the majority of comments from the public - verifiable on regulations.gov - FAVORED changing the old regulation, and their law enforcement budget requests have gone up consistently just like the crime in National Parks.

I don't have a contact in Warner's office yet. Let's let Senator Webb know he needs to get on the stick to make sure the parks stay safe for citizens.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here is the "official" mailing address. Like everything else in Washington, it'll take time for an e-mail adress.

B40C DIRKSEN SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
DC Phone: 202-224-2023
DC Fax: 202-224-6295

Warner's Senate Web page.

http://tinyurl.com/ddw8rr

TFred

imported post

On the controversial DOI regulation passed late last year that allows members of the public to carry concealed and loaded firearms in national parks, Salazar told a National Park Service employee concerned about assaults on park rangers that he would "take a look at it."

>From the audience, Einar Olson from the National Park Service said the national parks get 275 million visitors a year and park rangers and officers are already the most assaulted of all law enforcement officers.
And yet once again, we need to be sure to frame this issue in the proper context.

A person who would assault a Park Ranger is not going to obey a "no guns" policy.

What we need to ask this Park Ranger (or more appropriately, suggest that our Senators ask Secretary Salazar) is:

"Why do you want criminals to be the only ones who are armed in your parks? Wouldn't you prefer there to be at least a chance that an armed, law abiding citizen might come to your aid if such an assault were to happen?"

TFred

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

TFred wrote:

And yet once again, we need to be sure to frame this issue in the proper context.

A person who would assault a Park Ranger is not going to obey a "no guns" policy.

What we need to ask this Park Ranger (or more appropriately, suggest that our Senators ask Secretary Salazar) is:

"Why do you want criminals to be the only ones who are armed in your parks? Wouldn't you prefer there to be at least a chance that an armed, law abiding citizen might come to your aid if such an assault were to happen?"

TFred

No, what we need to do is focus on the mission; keeping the Parks safe.

Do that by contacting Sens. Webb & Warner as previously discussed. Don't waste keystrokes complaining about Parks personnel, some of whom are beyond hope. You will never convince "true believers" and this ranger is one. He will respondthat "no, I want to be the only one with a gun". That is their current mindset and it won't change until these old timers retire and move on.

Stay focusedby keeping the pressure on the elected folks to make sure this regulation stays.