Thread: Cant carry in a hospital? Police annex?

Post imported post

So i was visiting my sister inlaw at the hospital and was carrying concealed. I stoped in the emergency room to submit some insurence info for a emergency room visit last month and saw this sign.

There was another sign outside stating that thelobby of the emergency room was a police annex.
    Code:
     TITLE 18
    Code:
     CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
    Code:
     CHAPTER 33
    Code:
     FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND
    Code:
     OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS
    Code:
     18-3302C. PROHIBITED CONDUCT. Any person obtaining a license under the
    Code:
    provisions of section 18-3302, Idaho Code, shall not:
    Code:
     (1) Carry a concealed weapon in a courthouse, juvenile detention facility
    Code:
    or jail, public or private school, except as provided in subsection (4)(f) of
    Code:
    section 18-3302D, Idaho Code; or
    Code:
     (2) Provide information on the application for a permit to carry a
    Code:
    concealed weapon knowing the same to be untrue. Any person violating the
    Code:
    provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

As i see it the hospital meets non of this criteria. so this sign is not valid.

Post imported post

Ya, I'd agree. Not legally binding, but being private property, they may be able to ask you to leave. Wonder what would happen if you had an emergency; they have a legal obligation to treat emergency's, though I think if you just went in for some scheduled thing, they might be able to ask you to leave. I don't know, are hospitals around here public buildings (tax paid) or mostly privately ran?

In any case, I think it's beyond their ability to prosecute you for any firearms violations. Trespassing at the most.

Post imported post

sent an email to the Idaho Falls Police Dept. and the Idaho AG

Saw this sign yesterday. Here is a link I took a picture of it.
    Sign at EIRMC

I was just wondering the legality of it. I understand that the lobby of the Emergency room is a police annex. But according to section 18-3302
    the hospital does not seem to qualify as a gun free zone.

Any info you can provide would be helpful
    thank you for your time.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Police annex has nothing to do with it cause you CAN carry in a police annex, just not in a courthouse... I've OCed into the Barrister location (Sheriff's office) to renew my DL and CWP... no issues cause it's legal.

Now if the medical center is PRIVATE they can make any rule they want!

Post imported post

talked to police officer in erimc annex or lets say my wife talked to them she is a trauma nurse there he told her they dont care if you conceal carry if you have permit . but wasnt sure because hospital didnt alow open carry .wasnt sure about there status. coyoto 1

Post imported post

Same crap is going on in Rexburg. They have the sign outside all the entrances about some old County ordinance. Im pretty sure its not a legal statute now, since the state came out with last summer's law.... I just dont want to be the Ginnie pig that has to go to court to prove it.

I saw the same sign at EIRMC, in the ER. I think its a bunch of crap. Keep us updated on what IFPD says. Come to think of it, I saw the same sign at the Po.Sta. But it was when I went to get my CWP, and that was B4 the State statue. It was also at the library, but that one was removed last summer.

Also, SSFry99, we outta meet up sometime; since were the only members within 200 miles.
    -represent..

Jon.

Post imported post

Talked with IFPD they said its just a private property issue written up to be a scare tactic. and even so they would have to verbally have to ask you to leave. so basically there is no real risk of being prosecuted.

I'm off at my national guard drill this weekend, but yea we ought to meet for an IF open carry.

Post imported post

we really need to have a open carry get together in the falls would love to get sometrhing started .