• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2528: Gun Buybacks

TFred

imported post

I know we can't have a thread for each and every bill submitted... I just happened to see this one, and wanted to throw it out there for all to see... especially after the few threads we've had here on these silly gun buyback programs!

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+ful+HB2528

Basically, A) no location may hold a gun buyback program, unless they have specifically passed an ordinance authorizing them to do so, and B) any guns collected from such a buyback must be auctioned off to FFLs.

The firearm types excepted in the two other sections of code are machine guns and illegally altered long guns (sawed off shotguns or rifles).

This isn't a real high priority issue, obviously there are bigger fish to fry, but this is what I would call "common sense gun legislation!"

TFred

[align=center] HOUSE BILL NO. 2528

Offered January 16, 2009

A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 15.2-915.5, relating to disposition of firearms.

----------

Patron-- Cole

----------
[/align][align=center]Referred to Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
[/align][align=center] ----------
[/align]
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 15.2-915.5 as follows:

§ 15.2-915.5. Disposition of firearms acquired by localities.

A. No locality, or agent of such locality, may participate in any program in which individuals are given a thing of value provided by another individual or other entity in exchange for surrendering a firearm to the locality, or agent of such locality, unless the governing body of the locality has enacted an ordinance, pursuant to § 15.2-1425, authorizing the participation of the locality, or agent of such locality, in such program.

B. Any ordinance enacted pursuant to this section shall require that any firearm received, except a firearm of the type defined in § 18.2-288 or 18.2-299, shall be sold by public auction, or sealed bids, to a person licensed as a dealer pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq. Notice of the date, time, and place of sale shall be given by advertisement in at least two newspapers published and having general circulation in the Commonwealth, at least one of which shall have general circulation in the locality in which the property to be sold is located. At least 30 days shall elapse between publication of the notice and the auction or the date on which sealed bids will be opened.

nova

imported post

We need this! Violence against guns must stop! I hate to think how many collector items and war pieces have been destroyed due to these "buybacks" (they never owned the guns so why is it a buy-BACK?)

wylde007

imported post

Thundar wrote:
If it passes I will get my FFL license.
Isn't it funny that our "President" hasn't produced enough valid documentation to do so much?

:banghead:
moz-screenshot-8.jpg