Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Open Carry Meet

Post imported post

Info here:

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009...arry-meet.html

San Diego Open Carry MEET!

To all concerned patriots and free women and menof able mind and body,

You are cordially invited to represent Calguns.net, Opencarry.org and your beloved Constitution at yet another San Diego Open Carry Outing!

Let us see some support out there! Here are the details.

When: Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:30AM
    Where: The main lifeguard tower at the end of Grand Avenue, on the boardwalk between the showers and the big pelican. You can't miss the pelican!

Details...

1) The really cool and pro-2nd Amendment detective from the first San Diego Open Carry Lunch at El Indio will be attending our outing in plain clothes. From what I know he is a good man and he knows the restaurants in the area so we will have fun and good food as well.

2) The film crew that will be filming us is not a news station or anything official, it is actually a married couple that are friends with Chris (gir007) and will probably be making a documentary video for us. From what I hear they are really cool people and are doing this for free so for those that can chip in for their lunch it would be much appreciated.

3) Dressing the part... This is, above all else, a chance to create good public relations with those less knowledgeable about firearms and firearm laws and to dispell the common myths that hold gun owners in a bad light. As such, it has been imparted to me by those wiser in such matters (Liberty1) that dressing the part is essential. Therefore, it is requested that those attending this outing be nicely attired. Slacks, collared shirts and nice yet comfortable shoes come to mind, among other things. One might say that the old adage of "Dress to Impress" will be in play.

School zones, other rules, etc.

1) There are no school zones in the area we are gathering and walking but there are two in the area that will be of concern for those parking, packing and walking from farther distances, so plan your routes appropriately. Here are the names and addresses for the two applicable schools so that you might plan.

St Paul's Lutheran School (K-12)

1376 Felspar St
    San Diego, CA 92109

Pioneer Day School (K-12)
    4240 Gresham Street
    Pacific Beach, CA 92109

2) I may be wrong on this (correct me if I am) but I do not believe that we can go onto the beach while we are strapped since it is a "park." However, it might be fun to stand on the boardwalk wall and have a cool photo taken, HAHA!

3) As usual, make sure nothing can cover your holster, print out a few information pamphlets and carry your voice recorder!

For all those that are new at this...

For all those that are new, fairly new and are trying this out for the first time, this is a GREAT opportunity to "cut your teeth" on the Open Carry Movement, meet fellow California gun owners, Calguns.net and Opencarry.com members and other citizens of like mind. Please do not be afraid to contact me with any questions regarding this outing or to attend, the more the merrier!

For those interested, my email address is
    pullnshoot25@hotmail.com and my Calguns.net handle is pullnshoot25.

I am looking forward to this outing!

CARRY ON!

Sincerely,

Chris (gir007), Sam (elsensei) and Nathan (pullnshoot25)

Post imported post

Damn, you're fast! I just posted a thread on this just a minute ago! HAHAHH!

Post imported post

HEY! I wrote free MEN, not WOMEN! Not that women can't come as men includes both men and women by virtue of "men" being in both names, but come on now! LOL.

Speaking of which, I am trying to get one of my female coworkers to go with me.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it.

I don't mean to derail the thread at all, but I feel the need to comment... I disagree with the dress code. I want to dispel the myth that only the 'upper crust' should be entitled to this right. I have gone to great pains to look 'normal' - jeans, T-shirt, 2-day stubble growth, etc on all my open carry outings.

It's not my party, and this is just my opinion:

People should be welcomed as they are, not as you want them to be. They should feel welcomed and comfortable. Some people don't like 'dressing up.' In fact, I know several people that don't even own a pair of slacks, and all their collared shirts are flannel or denim.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

Excellent, I'll pencil it in on my calender.
    Thank you for organizing this.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    It's not my party, and this is just my opinion:

People should be welcomed as they are, not as you want them to be. They should feel welcomed and comfortable. Some people don't like 'dressing up.' In fact, I know several people that don't even own a pair of slacks, and all their collared shirts are flannel or denim.
    Agreed! But individuals should consider that we will soon be thrust into a battle for the hearts and minds (not just in the court rooms where you Do dress your best for every advantage). Appealing to the greatest number while in public is essential to that especially when we struggle to even gain the majoritysupport of gun owners, huntersand concealed carry backers.

Nothing short of the future of the Republic is at stake in defending and spreading this Right. Let us use every peaceful tool at our disposal.

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    HEY! I wrote free MEN, not WOMEN! Not that women can't come as men includes both men and women by virtue of "men" being in both names, but come on now! LOL.

Speaking of which, I am trying to get one of my female coworkers to go with me.

I claim editorial license! :P

Lets appeal to the greatest audience that will entertain our ideas without the possibility of distancing about 50% of the population from us right off the bat IMO

I strongly believe (and I'm sure you'll agree)that women would benefit from defensive arms carry even more so then men due to them disproportionately being targeted by stronger assailants for brutal crimes like rape.

photo by oleg volk:

Post imported post

Post imported post

I encourage women to come as well! I am trying to get my female coworker to go with me that is pro-OC, she just has to figure out her schedule and whatnot. I might try and get one other girl to go but we will see...

I see what you are saying though. I will add the term "women" in the next invite.

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    I encourage women to come as well! I am trying to get my female coworker to go with me that is pro-OC, she just has to figure out her schedule and whatnot. I might try and get one other girl to go but we will see...

I see what you are saying though. I will add the term "women" in the next invite.
    You can't edit your blog? :?

Post imported post

3) Dressing the part (UPDATED 1-26)... This is, above all else, a chance to create good public relations with those less knowledgeable about firearms and firearm laws and to dispell the common myths that hold gun owners in a bad light. As such, it has been imparted to me by those wiser in such matters (Liberty1) that dressing the part is essential. Therefore, it is requested that those attending this outing be nicely attired. (CHANGE HERE)--> Since slacks to a beach function is almost silly, I say that we dress in what is comfortable but also looks nice, as open carrying is already hard enough as it is, we shouldn't have to dress up the occasion as well.

A suggestion though is to not have t-shirts that could be used against us in a stereotype, e.g. smiley face with bloody hole in the head, etc. While fun amongst gun owners, it is not the best PR with those not in the gun community so lets keep it clean cut.

Post imported post

Edited for you, cato.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well, I don't know about you guys but I don't plan on wearing anything but my gun.

Figure that would be a more clear statement.

Take my home, my car, my clothes....but I will fight for my gun! Haha

Post imported post

HAHAHAH!

Post imported post

bump

Post imported post

Invite updated with some more info. Also, please RSVP if you are attending!

Post imported post

ok im new to this!
    But i want to come i live in So Orange County!

Post imported post

Am I the only one extremely angry about all this 12031(e) talk and the "bad case law" argument by Gene on CG?

It is ridiculous to follow the law yet be treated like criminals.

At worst, we're going to have a line of people standing in full view of all passers-by, with a bunch of guns being looked at by several police officers. That is NOT the kind of impression we want to make, yet we could be forced to make it.

We do not win the right to keep and bear firearms in the courts, we win it with public opinion and politics. If the government works hard to keep public opinion negative, we will lose.

I will not be making a scene but count me as "order required."

Post imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:
    Am I the only one extremely angry about all this 12031(e) talk and the "bad case law" argument by Gene on CG?

At worst, we're going to have a line of people standing in full view of all passers-by, with a bunch of guns being looked at by several police officers. That is NOT the kind of impression we want to make, yet we could be forced to make it.

We do not win the right to keep and bear firearms in the courts, we win it with public opinion and politics. If the government works hard to keep public opinion negative, we will lose.

I understand your sentiment, the challenge shall come soon.

You are correct and I will will be advising everyone that attends to do the same.

GIVE THEM NOTHING!

Post imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:

I withdrew from making comments about this on CG.

The idea that this went from something that was generally supported by our police liason to "place you hands on your head while we clear your weapon and do a quick wants and warrants check" nearly put me into apoplexy. This unwanted and unnecessary involvement tranformed this exersize of liberty into a search for 'possible criminals' and would make a display of the misplaced suspicion that the authorities have for lawful and openly armed people. If police are suspicious of open carriers, then so it goes for the general public.

Repetition is the only remedy to counteract such a perception- not in highly populated meets, but in twos and threes at regular casual events. This SD meet will be a great place to break the ice and initiate new diciples of exposed carry... I hope these folks take the time to find 'partners'or 'wingmen' to go out on other occasions, even if it is only to grab a cup of coffee.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

They have changed their position slightly. They will let us retain control and demonstrate the unloaded situation of the gun without surrendering control of the weapon.

This will help eliminate the risk of a serial number check and a wants/warrants.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Theseus wrote:
    They have changed their position slightly. They will let us retain control and demonstrate the unloaded situation of the gun without surrendering control of the weapon.

This will help eliminate the risk of a serial number check and a wants/warrants.
    I'm surprised they're going to let mere subjects handle their firearms in the presence of the ruling class!

But seriously, until the laws and mentality among CA LE changes, I won't handle my firearm in public, except when at the gun counter at the sporting goods store, or when engaged in target shooting or hunting. Most other states, if the officer said they were OK with it, I would. Not in CA - not yet.

Once that firearm is out of the holster, you're opened up to all sorts of antics. Did the camera stay on you the whole time, or did an officer 'accidently' step in front of the camera man to block the shot? Now it's a bunch of cops' word against a bunch of 'gun nuts' as to whether you pointed your gun in an unsafe direction.

The bottom line is I don't trust people who have a reputation for abusing power and who are all-to-eager to perform the maximum infringements they can get away with. Trust has to be earned, IMO. Nobody gets a free pass, not even the cops. My experience (5 years working with LE, plus the incident last year) has proven me right.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    The bottom line is I don't trust people who have a reputation for abusing power and who are all-to-eager to perform the maximum infringements they can get away with. Trust has to be earned, IMO. Nobody gets a free pass, not even the cops. My experience (5 years working with LE, plus the incident last year) has proven me right.
    Do you have a specific case against the San Diego Police department that you would like to share or are you simply extending your paranoia to all Law Enforcement?

State Researcher

Post imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Do you have a specific case against the San Diego Police department that you would like to share or are you simply extending your paranoia to all Law Enforcement?
    I take exception to your characterizing my distrust for LE as "paranoia." That they are eager to search and seize our persons and property is, IMO, abundantly apparent from what I've been reading on the CG thread about the event. The coordinating officers are trying to line up the serfs for unwarranted search/seizure, FFS.

As for the 'reputation' part - yes, there is at least one case. I am not at liberty to share any details. Let's just say that I think this is among the worst abuses of power I've heard of against an open carry activist. I'm afraid you'll have to take my word on it for now, as we have to play our cards close to our chests. Beyond this, I imagine the person(s) involved would share more details if they wanted it to be made public.

As I stated in my previous post, I base my distrust on two factors. (1) I don't trust ANYBODY until they earn my trust. (2) Wearing a badge isn't an exemption for earning trust. I have experience dealing with LE, probably upward of 250 cops in three counties and twelve cities over a period of five years. The list of incidents is varied and long - I'll just share that I found roughly 90% of them are abusive or negligent in their duties.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

well I think the whole thing about LEO wanting to check our weapons for serial numbers and wants/warrants is absolutely bull@#$% in my opinion. I thought that Penal Code 12031(e) states something to the extend that once a law enforcement officer ask to verify that your weapon is in fact unloaded, that they MUST return the weapon back to you immediately and let you go about your lawful business. Where does it say they HAVE to check the serial numbers unless I am mistaking, that's where this Penal Code supposedly protects you, doesn't it? I know I am wrong on this but would really like this to be clarified by our meeting moderator if this is possible.

Qoute (e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are
    authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on
    any public street in an incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory. Refusal to allow a peace officer
    to inspect a firearm pursuant to this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section.

Qoute (Field personnel should be made aware of the current state of the law as set forth above and cautioned that this
    is not behavior warranting arrest, but that they are legally entitled under §12031(e) to demand inspection of any
    such firearms in order to ascertain that the weapon is unloaded. If the firearm is unloaded, it should be returned
    and the subject released to go about his/her lawful business. Of course, if the firearm is loaded – as defined above
    – then an arrest is appropriate. Any refusal to allow inspection of the firearm constitutes cause for immediate
    arrest for a violation of §12031.)

It does NOT state anywhere in PC 12031 that law enforcement may "detain" our weapon for the purpose of checking serial numbers. Sorry if I sound so bold or unprofessional, but as far as I am concerned, if they "detain" my weapon to verify my weapons serial numbers, that constituts as unlawfully "detaining" me.
    So, if we go to this meeting and the SWAT Team is waiting for us to verify serial numbers, then guess what could happen, a lot of unhappy folks being unlawfully detained.
    If LE can't trust the law abiding citizen...(cough cough) then who is going to trust them? As abusive as they get with their powers, it gets pretty outrageous sometimes. Please don't get me wrong, I am all for LE and would back those guys up, but I have seen some of them really abuse their authority. We'll save that rant for another day. I just hope that this meeting will go smooth without delay or incidents.
    On a more serious note, anyone live out in San Diego East County Area, I'd like to go but would seriously consider the idea of carpooling if anyone has no objections. I live in El Cajon and could meet you somewhere. Please let me know.

Thanks....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast