• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego Open Carry Meet

cato

imported post

Info here:

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009/01/san-diego-open-carry-meet.html

San Diego Open Carry MEET!

To all concerned patriots and free women and menof able mind and body,

You are cordially invited to represent Calguns.net, Opencarry.org and your beloved Constitution at yet another San Diego Open Carry Outing!

Let us see some support out there! Here are the details.

When: Saturday, Feb 28, 2009 at 9:30AM
Where: The main lifeguard tower at the end of Grand Avenue, on the boardwalk between the showers and the big pelican. You can't miss the pelican!

Details...

1) The really cool and pro-2nd Amendment detective from the first San Diego Open Carry Lunch at El Indio will be attending our outing in plain clothes. From what I know he is a good man and he knows the restaurants in the area so we will have fun and good food as well.

2) The film crew that will be filming us is not a news station or anything official, it is actually a married couple that are friends with Chris (gir007) and will probably be making a documentary video for us. From what I hear they are really cool people and are doing this for free so for those that can chip in for their lunch it would be much appreciated.

3) Dressing the part... This is, above all else, a chance to create good public relations with those less knowledgeable about firearms and firearm laws and to dispell the common myths that hold gun owners in a bad light. As such, it has been imparted to me by those wiser in such matters (Liberty1) that dressing the part is essential. Therefore, it is requested that those attending this outing be nicely attired. Slacks, collared shirts and nice yet comfortable shoes come to mind, among other things. One might say that the old adage of "Dress to Impress" will be in play.

School zones, other rules, etc.

1) There are no school zones in the area we are gathering and walking but there are two in the area that will be of concern for those parking, packing and walking from farther distances, so plan your routes appropriately. Here are the names and addresses for the two applicable schools so that you might plan.

[align=left]St Paul's Lutheran School (K-12)[/align]

[align=left]1376 Felspar St
San Diego, CA 92109

Pioneer Day School (K-12)
4240 Gresham Street
Pacific Beach, CA 92109

2) I may be wrong on this (correct me if I am) but I do not believe that we can go onto the beach while we are strapped since it is a "park." However, it might be fun to stand on the boardwalk wall and have a cool photo taken, HAHA!

3) As usual, make sure nothing can cover your holster, print out a few information pamphlets and carry your voice recorder!

For all those that are new at this...

For all those that are new, fairly new and are trying this out for the first time, this is a GREAT opportunity to "cut your teeth" on the Open Carry Movement, meet fellow California gun owners, Calguns.net and Opencarry.com members and other citizens of like mind. Please do not be afraid to contact me with any questions regarding this outing or to attend, the more the merrier!

For those interested, my email address is [email]pullnshoot25@hotmail.com[/email] and my Calguns.net handle is pullnshoot25.

I am looking forward to this outing!

CARRY ON!

Sincerely,

Chris (gir007), Sam (elsensei) and Nathan (pullnshoot25)
[/align]
http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009/01/san-diego-open-carry-meet.html

pullnshoot25

imported post

HEY! I wrote free MEN, not WOMEN! Not that women can't come as men includes both men and women by virtue of "men" being in both names, but come on now! LOL.

Speaking of which, I am trying to get one of my female coworkers to go with me. :)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it.

I don't mean to derail the thread at all, but I feel the need to comment... I disagree with the dress code. I want to dispel the myth that only the 'upper crust' should be entitled to this right. I have gone to great pains to look 'normal' - jeans, T-shirt, 2-day stubble growth, etc on all my open carry outings.

It's not my party, and this is just my opinion:

People should be welcomed as they are, not as you want them to be. They should feel welcomed and comfortable. Some people don't like 'dressing up.' In fact, I know several people that don't even own a pair of slacks, and all their collared shirts are flannel or denim.

cato

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
It's not my party, and this is just my opinion:

People should be welcomed as they are, not as you want them to be. They should feel welcomed and comfortable. Some people don't like 'dressing up.' In fact, I know several people that don't even own a pair of slacks, and all their collared shirts are flannel or denim.

Agreed! But individuals should consider that we will soon be thrust into a battle for the hearts and minds (not just in the court rooms where you Do dress your best for every advantage). Appealing to the greatest number while in public is essential to that especially when we struggle to even gain the majoritysupport of gun owners, huntersand concealed carry backers.

Nothing short of the future of the Republic is at stake in defending and spreading this Right. Let us use every peaceful tool at our disposal. :)

cato

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
HEY! I wrote free MEN, not WOMEN! Not that women can't come as men includes both men and women by virtue of "men" being in both names, but come on now! LOL.

Speaking of which, I am trying to get one of my female coworkers to go with me. :)

I claim editorial license! :p

Lets appeal to the greatest audience that will entertain our ideas without the possibility of distancing about 50% of the population from us right off the bat IMO ;)

I strongly believe (and I'm sure you'll agree)that women would benefit from defensive arms carry even more so then men due to them disproportionately being targeted by stronger assailants for brutal crimes like rape.

photo by oleg volk:

pullnshoot25

imported post

I encourage women to come as well! I am trying to get my female coworker to go with me that is pro-OC, she just has to figure out her schedule and whatnot. I might try and get one other girl to go but we will see...

I see what you are saying though. I will add the term "women" in the next invite. :)

cato

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
I encourage women to come as well! I am trying to get my female coworker to go with me that is pro-OC, she just has to figure out her schedule and whatnot. I might try and get one other girl to go but we will see...

I see what you are saying though. I will add the term "women" in the next invite. :)
You can't edit your blog? :?

cato

imported post

3) Dressing the part (UPDATED 1-26)... This is, above all else, a chance to create good public relations with those less knowledgeable about firearms and firearm laws and to dispell the common myths that hold gun owners in a bad light. As such, it has been imparted to me by those wiser in such matters (Liberty1) that dressing the part is essential. Therefore, it is requested that those attending this outing be nicely attired. (CHANGE HERE)--> Since slacks to a beach function is almost silly, I say that we dress in what is comfortable but also looks nice, as open carrying is already hard enough as it is, we shouldn't have to dress up the occasion as well.

A suggestion though is to not have t-shirts that could be used against us in a stereotype, e.g. smiley face with bloody hole in the head, etc. While fun amongst gun owners, it is not the best PR with those not in the gun community so lets keep it clean cut.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I don't know about you guys but I don't plan on wearing anything but my gun.

Figure that would be a more clear statement.

Take my home, my car, my clothes....but I will fight for my gun! Haha

SOneThreeCoupe

imported post

Am I the only one extremely angry about all this 12031(e) talk and the "bad case law" argument by Gene on CG?

It is ridiculous to follow the law yet be treated like criminals.

At worst, we're going to have a line of people standing in full view of all passers-by, with a bunch of guns being looked at by several police officers. That is NOT the kind of impression we want to make, yet we could be forced to make it.

We do not win the right to keep and bear firearms in the courts, we win it with public opinion and politics. If the government works hard to keep public opinion negative, we will lose.

I will not be making a scene but count me as "order required."

pullnshoot25

imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:
Am I the only one extremely angry about all this 12031(e) talk and the "bad case law" argument by Gene on CG?

At worst, we're going to have a line of people standing in full view of all passers-by, with a bunch of guns being looked at by several police officers. That is NOT the kind of impression we want to make, yet we could be forced to make it.

We do not win the right to keep and bear firearms in the courts, we win it with public opinion and politics. If the government works hard to keep public opinion negative, we will lose.

I understand your sentiment, the challenge shall come soon.

You are correct and I will will be advising everyone that attends to do the same.

GIVE THEM NOTHING!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

SOneThreeCoupe wrote:

I withdrew from making comments about this on CG.

The idea that this went from something that was generally supported by our police liason to "place you hands on your head while we clear your weapon and do a quick wants and warrants check" nearly put me into apoplexy. This unwanted and unnecessary involvement tranformed this exersize of liberty into a search for 'possible criminals' and would make a display of the misplaced suspicion that the authorities have for lawful and openly armed people. If police are suspicious of open carriers, then so it goes for the general public.

Repetition is the only remedy to counteract such a perception- not in highly populated meets, but in twos and threes at regular casual events. This SD meet will be a great place to break the ice and initiate new diciples of exposed carry... I hope these folks take the time to find 'partners'or 'wingmen' to go out on other occasions, even if it is only to grab a cup of coffee.