Thread: City of Crossville wanting to ban firearms on public property

Post imported post

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4317

while this story directly mentions CC, it will affect OC as well in the city of Crossville.

everyone should flood the city with complaints about this ordinance and let them know that the the people still have a voice in this country. The politicians are wanting to make us a nation of victims.

Post imported post

I,m not sure this can apply to permit holders but if it does and passes it will be a snowball effect forevery city in tn

Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws except those ordinances that were in effect at the time preemption was passed.

NOTE: Almost all states allow local regulation of the discharge of firearms

Post imported post

It's true that 39-17-1314 preempts local governments from passing laws that regulate firearms.

However 39-17-1359 does allow local governments to post their property just like private property owners.

So at some point the city attorney or state AG may tell Crossville they can't pass an ordnance to prohibit carry, but if the city really wants to prohibit carry on it's property all it really has to do is post signs per 39-17-1359 unfortunately.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

are we talking about bldgs its kinda hard to post open public streets isn't it

Post imported post

From what I've read my take is they are trying to ban carry on city owned property like city hall, police dept, water treatment building, park etc.... not in the entire city or on the streets.

But 39-17-1359 does allow the owner of the property to post the entire premises as off limits, not just buildings.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Fallguy wrote:
    From what I've read my take is they are trying to ban carry on city owned property like city hall, police dept, water treatment building, park etc.... not in the entire city or on the streets.

But 39-17-1359 does allow the owner of the property to post the entire premises as off limits, not just buildings.
    It still comes down to them trying to tell us that if we just will "give up" our rights--they will protect us....

like the criminals will obey any laws passed.

Post imported post

I'm in no way trying to say what they are attempting to do is right.

I don't think any place should be off limits actually, but ESPECIALLY not publicly owned government property.

I'm just pointing out that unfortunately that even without passing any local ordnance, state law already allows them to accomplish what there end goal seems to be.

However I still suggest contacting the Crossville government and strongly protesting and attempt to redistrict carry in the city.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

It's really up to the residents of Crossville to protest this proposed ordinance, isn't it?