• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arkansas Open Carry Bill Effort in the News!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.asuherald.com/media/storage/paper898/news/2009/01/26/Opinion/Our-View-3597590.shtml

Our View
Concealed carry law may carry consequences
The Herald editorial Staff
1/26/09

The carrying of guns has gotten a lot of talk in Arkansas. Two pieces of legislation are bringing guns into debate. One involves lifting the ban on open carry of weapons in Arkansas and the other involves allowing guns on college campuses in the state.

Rep. Randy Stewart has proposed a bill that would allow licensed individuals to carry concealed weapons on college campuses provided those weapons are secured in their vehicles in the parking lot.

There are several reasons to take issue with this bill.

For one thing, what good is a gun in your car going to do you if you are in the library or the Student Union?

Besides if some sort of incident were to occur, guns on campus could just aggravate the problem. Someone with a gun in their car may decide to be a hero, but wind up creating more problems, for themselves, their peers and law enforcement officials.

In the event of a problem, call police officials and let them handle it. That is why they are here.

Another problem with allowing guns on campus in vehicles is that cars get broken into. One smashed window and whoever will can take what they find and run.

Then it isn't the licensed individual with the gun, it's some maniac who breaks into cars and steals stuff.

Also should an argument or disagreement occur, an available and accessible gun entered into the equation may lead to an escalation of violence. A person may react with bullets rather than words or even fists.

Concealed carry weapons by licensed individuals are restricted from many places. Jails, courthouses, state offices, churches and other places of worship, police stations, polling places and more. College campuses are another place that should stay that way.

gruntpain1775

imported post

I responded to this knucklehead. My comments are in the comments section..see repsonse posted by Tim Huett.

Tex

imported post

These gutless,soulless, pansies never cease to provoke my ire. When will they finally
realize that not all people are afraid of their own shadows, and are willing to make a difference. you don't hear the stories often enough, but when you do, those people are called "Hero". A hero doesn't wear a cape, or fly, or see through buildings, he (or she), simply stands up for what is right, and does something about it.

Glock toter

imported post

Yeah, whoever wrote that crap is definately clueless. I bet they'd sure be happy you had a gun on you, if the SHTF. Sometimes, it takes something happening to these kind of people or a family member or friend of their's before they see the light. Then again, some will always be blinded by their own ignorance.