• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1604 Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors

XD45PlusP

heresolong

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Sweet! Let's put some pressure on for this one folks!
Im not familiar with the process. How do we put pressure on?
Start by calling any and all of the members of the Judiciary Committee, especially if they are in your district and/or you know them. Also, call your Senator and ask him or her to introduce a Senate version of the same bill.

If your rep isn't on the Judiciary Committee, call them and ask them to talk to their colleagues on the JC and push for passage.

Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper pushing for this to be lifted. Most people are going to assume that if you have a suppressor you are an assassin. We need to get the public educated. Mention noise reduction for shooting range areas, and hearing loss reduction. Point out that you will still have to get a license from the federal government to purchase a suppressor which means that only law abiding citizens will have them.

shad0wfax

imported post

This is great news!

It looks likeLarry Crouse (one of my two representatives) is actually one of the sponsors of this bill!

I'll have to callRepresentative Matthew Shea(another of my representatives) to get him to vote for it as well. I'd assume thatMr Crousewould get him on board, but who knows?

FE427TP

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Point out that you will still have to get a license from the federal government to purchase a suppressor which means that only law abiding citizens will have them.
:cuss: there is NO license, there are background checks by the FBI and most likely your sheriff, a sheriff's signature that he believes you are not a criminal and has no reason to believe you will use it unlawfully, finger printings and wait that makes the Brady Bill look like a hand out guns for free day and a $200 tax to transfer possession into your name

heresolong

imported post

FE427TP wrote:
heresolong wrote:
Point out that you will still have to get a license from the federal government to purchase a suppressor which means that only law abiding citizens will have them.
there is NO license,
Sorry, I misspoke. I was thinking about the tax stamp and the background check. My mind converted this into "license" as I was typing.

surfj9009

imported post

Go here to find your legislator; http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

If your representative is on the House Judiciary Committee you can lean on them extra hard to see about getting the bill a hearing.

Pedersen, Jamie (D) Chair
Goodman, Roger (D) Vice Chair
Rodne, Jay (R)
Shea, Matthew (R)
Flannigan, Dennis (D)
Kelley, Troy (D)
Kirby, Steve (D)
Ormsby, Timm (D)
Roberts, Mary Helen (D)
Ross, Charles (R)
Warnick, Judy (R)

Let's do this!!!

Izzle

imported post

I currently live in an area that is covered by one of the individuals on the committee I will make sure to draft up and email.

Agent 47

imported post

Just got a response back from my representative

"I will be supporting 1604 when it comes to the House floor for a vote.

Mike Sells, State Rep
38th Legislative District"

I sent a Email to every senator and representative I could. Highlighting a recent string of communication I have had with the DOL firearms law enforcement and the ATF in reference to RCW 9.41.250's impact on police officers and the fact that, according to the ATF and DOL, this stupid law makes it illegal for cops to use silencers as well as citizens who have completed the NFA required checks to purchase them for themselves. I figure that by pointing out that RCW 9.41.250 puts law enforcement at risk of prosecution and having the written opinions of the ATF and DOL to back that up even hard core liberals can support HB1604.

and got this from rep. Dave Upthgrove

Thanks Aaron- I think it is a very common sense measure. I'm not optimistic about the prospects though, given that gun issues often become very emotional and ideological and the Legislature in recent years has been reluctant to take them up (regardless of whether they reduce or increase gun control).

I see this bill as a way to protect health- hearing- and to prevent noise conflicts...and don't view it as an ideological issue. I also think it is silly that we can own a noise suppressor but not use one...and that many other states allow their use. But...you probably know all of that.

Other than writing to your own legislators, the only other thing I can suggest is to email the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, Rep. Jamie Pedersen. Be sure to keep your correspondence brief, positive, and focusing on the specific positive aspects (like the law enforcement angle you mention), rather than an ideological argument about guns. You might also cc: Speaker Frank Chopp & Majority Leader Lynn Kessler. I think you will find Rep. Kessler to be supportive (I'm just guessing).

As Chairman of the Committee, Rep. Pedersen has the sole authority to determine which bills will be considered for a hearing and/or vote in committee. Members of leadership (like the Speaker and Majority Leader) are in communication with committee chairs as well to coordinate priorities, so that's why I suggest you include them.

That's all I can think of right now...other than getting other people to call & email their legislators too. Hope this helps,

Dave Upthegrove

I sent this Email to Rep Pedersen as well as Speaker Frank Chopp and Majority Lader Lynn Kessler.

Dear --------------, I would like to request your support on passing house bill 1604. I have been in contact with the DOL firearms unit program manager Mr. Bruce Tanaka who confirmed that the current wording of RCW 9.41.250 leaves individual police officers as well as law abiding citizens open to prosecution for using devices known as firearm sound suppressors that are otherwise perfectly legal for them to have in their possession. The problem is officers are being issued these tools for use in training and in real life situations but they risk prosecution and jail time up to one year if they actually use them! It seems this law was written to stop the use of homemade, illegal "silencers" and improvised devices. And rightly so but it has ( due to poor wording choice ) created a bit of a legal paradox in which police officers risk jail time for using the very tools that their departments issue them to do their jobs. As well as law abiding citizens who have met the NFA requirements to legally own these devices who risk the same. It is critical that HB 1604 pass to make the necessary changes to this poorly written law and protect the police officers and citizens of this state. As a constituent I request your support of this bill and greatly appreciate your assistansistance.

So it looks like one of the most important people to convince at this point is Rep Jamie Pedersen of the 43rd district. so anyone who lives in the Seattle, capital hill or wallingford area needs to Email Pedersen with support for this bill ASAP http://apps.leg.wa.gov/memberemail/MailForm.aspx?Chamber=H&District=43&Position=1

amlevin

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
So it looks like one of the most important people to convince at this point is Rep Jamie Pedersen of the 43rd district. so anyone who lives in the Seattle, capital hill or wallingford area needs to Email Pedersen with support for this bill ASAP
He would have to represent the most liberal area in the most liberal City in the entire State.

Agent 47

imported post

Got a couple more responses.

"Aaron,

I don't think we are going to get the bill through this session, but we are already working on a plan to get more bipartisan support next year. It is not uncommon for a bill to take a couple years to make it through the legislative process. I think we will have a much better opportunity in the next session. We have received quite a bit of correspondence and even a radio interview so we have at least made it an issue at this point.

CARY CONDOTTA
12th District Representative"

and.....

"Thank you for your comments and message regarding HB 1604. The bill is still in committee and has not even been heard for public testimony as of yet. For the bill to survive, it would need to pass by Wednesday, March 2nd.

I appreciate hearing from you and your concerns.

Sincerely,

Joe Schmick
State Representative"