• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Lynchburg in front of the library

some verb

imported post

Was just watching the news - somebody was shot outside the library. According to the talking head, the police wanted to stress that "no one inside the library was ever in any danger" then proceeded to talk about how there is a suspect on the loose. Right. Who needs a gun in a library, eh.

Hope the victim is ok.

Edit: here's a mostly useless link http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=9735261

I forgot to link because I went temporarily braindead when they actually said nobody inside the library was ever in any danger.

Neplusultra

imported post

some verb wrote:
Was just watching the news - somebody was shot outside the library. According to the talking head, the police wanted to stress that "no one inside the library was ever in any danger" then proceeded to talk about how there is a suspect on the loose. Right. Who needs a gun in a library, eh.

Hope the victim is ok.
I was just there a few days ago although I wasn't OCing due to faulty advice from my lawyer. I will be next time!!!!

I'm going to try and get ahold of Chief Flinchim (sp) again to get his position on carrying. I've tried a number of times without success. Supposedly the VT police were called once when I was carrying at the library but refused to respond. Hearsay, so who knows if it's actually true. Never had any trouble OCing on campus and I know official types were aware.

Edit: Just read the news report and found out the library was in Lynchburg. Your Blacksburg location threw me off.

Edit: Just read the description with "Lynchburg" as the location. Ah, got to slow down my reading speed......

some verb

imported post

No worries! At least you replied :lol:

It really was just a blatant example of an attempt to continue the sheep on their baaing way that it actually struck me in how much of an outright lie it was. The police basically said "nobody was in danger" in the same sentence as "one person is being taken to the hospital and the person who did it is out there some where, but you're all safe."

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

D'oh! Kenny you got me there. I don't go to Wachovia or BB&T because of their signs and I didn't even think of them. The local TGI Friday's has a No Concealed Weapons sign, but that is obviously not a full ban and not a legal possibility for anyone other than those with extra special "rights". **Over the last year the local Macado's was supposedly reconciled to corporate policy which respects whatever the law allows for, but since I avoided them due to VCDL's warning whenI got here, I still have never gone.

Perhaps I should've said I have seen them no-where other than the few banks already known to hate people exercising their rights. :banghead:

**I suppose it is possible that there are other places that have a No Guns sign around here, but I have not seen them in the many places that I go. If there are places that I have been and I am unaware of it is because that they are not proud enough of their Come Do Me Harm Zone to make it easily seen.

:)
**Edited to correct.

kenny

imported post

I was not aware of Friday's. There are too many drunks for me there. At least know I have two reasons now. I just thought about River Ridge, I believe they are posted as well.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If River Ridge is posted it sure isn't plainly posted at the entries. I don't much care for Friday's either, never had much reason to go whether I was concerned with their firearm policies or not. Buffalo Wild Wings is another place you may have trouble, but they don't post since they supposedly don't mind carrying during lunch time when they don't have all the people there that they serve until drunkenness. Do a search for Lynchburg Buffalo Wild Wings and you'll see my issue in May, 2008.

curtiswr

imported post

The only posting that I've ever seen in River Ridge is in the hallway leading to the restrooms in the middle of the mall. It's the entrance between JC Penney and what was Value City the last time I was there. More of a receiving/office entrance than anything. It wasn't posted on the entrance, but on a rules list in the hall.

Think the door is labeled as being Entrance 8....

kenny

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
The only posting that I've ever seen in River Ridge is in the hallway leading to the restrooms in the middle of the mall. It's the entrance between JC Penney and what was Value City the last time I was there. More of a receiving/office entrance than anything. It wasn't posted on the entrance, but on a rules list in the hall.

Think the door is labeled as being Entrance 8....
That's the door I use all the time. I know management is the same that is at Valley View. So I just assumed. I'm friendly with management and I might just shake the bushes on the issue.