• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Alabama gun laws

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I live in Ohio, and will be driving to NE Alabama in early February to attend a weekend training session. The session will cover tactical shooting techniques, so I'll be bringing my MBR and a bunch of ammo.

In Ohio there's a law that says it's illegal to have loaded rifle magazines in a vehicle. Is there a similar law in Alabama? Are there any "non-obvious" firearm laws in Alabama I should be aware of before traveling there?

Thanks

Dianosis

imported post

This info is best of my knowledge:

No rule for having loaded weapon, and you do not have to notify an officer unless he asks.

However,I did check Carry License Reciprocity State By State at the following site: http://carryconcealed.org/reciprocity.html

It dosen't appear a concealed permit from Ohio is valid in Alabama, here are the states it lists:

AK, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MO, NH, NC, ND, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, WY

This info was as of 06 so not sure if it's changed or not. May be worth a phone call or 2 to find out for sure.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Without a permit you can still carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in your vehicle.

You also do not have to tell a police officer you are armed, even if he asks. You have the right to remain silent and/or not answer questions (except for your name/address during a terry stop). Whether this would be the smartest thing to do or not is another question.

acrimsontide

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:

You also do not have to tell a police officer you are armed, even if he asks. You have the right to remain silent and/or not answer questions (except for your name/address during a terry stop). Whether this would be the smartest thing to do or not is another question.
I couldn't find the link however I think there are some game laws which restrict having a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle. I just can't remember the details but be sure to check it out before carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle. If I come up with the link, I'll post it.

kurtmax_0

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:

I couldn't find the link however I think there are some game laws which restrict having a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle. I just can't remember the details but be sure to check it out before carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle. If I come up with the link, I'll post it.
Not in Alabama. At least not in the criminal firearm code. There may be something related to hunting but then... it would be related to hunting.

49er

imported post

Here's an AG Opinion that cites applicable hunting laws on the subject of firearms on wildlife management areas and renders an opinion:

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/oldopinions/9400062.pdf

The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources has it's own brand of gun control. There are DCNR regulations that are often mistaken for state law concerning loaded firearms in vehicles. Although the AG Opinion above states that even the
subject law does not apply on public roads, game wardens often set up check points to search for loaded firearms in vehicles on roads passing thru wildlife management areas to enforce their own gun control regulations:

Alabama Game and Fish Regulations:

http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/regulations/2008-09%20Complete%20Reg%20Book%20rev%2011-18-08.pdf

page 86

220-2-.21 Possession of Firearms or Bow and Arrow in any
Wildlife Management Area, Refuge or Sanctuary
Prohibited
No person shall take, carry, or possess any firearms or bow of any
description whatsoever in any wildlife management area in this State
during the closed season on game birds, game and/or fur-bearing animals,
except on an open designated target range and except a person may
possess a bow and arrow only during special bow season allowed for the
taking of rough fish. No person shall at any time take, carry or possess
any firearms or bows of any description whatsoever in or on any wildlife
refuge or wildlife sanctuary located in or on any national forest area in this
State, or on or in any state or federal sanctuary except by special permit or
when bow and arrows may be legally possessed during special bow season
provided for the taking of rough fish on such areas by regulations of the
Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, provided, however,
that this rule shall not apply to the possession of firearms by State
Conservation Officers, state or county enforcement officers, or federal
agents, when they are on active duty in the performance of their duties in
the enforcement of the laws of this State.

220-2-.55 Wildlife Management Areas, Community Hunting Areas,
Public Hunting Areas, and Refuges of Alabama
(1) It shall be unlawful on ALL WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREAS,
COMMUNITY HUNTING AREAS, PUBLIC HUNTING AREAS,
AND REFUGE AREAS, all of which are established as "wildlife
management areas" by Rule 220-2-.22 and all of which are
hereinafter sometimes collectively referred to herein as "AREAS" or
"AREA":

(h) For any person to carry in or on a vehicle, any of the following: any
firearms (including pistols) with ammunition in the magazine,
breech or clip attached to firearms, or black powder weapons with
primer, cap or flash powder in place, or cocked crossbows.

In other words, if you choose to exercise your constitutional right to hunt as
recognized by our Alabama Constitution, you are expected to surrender your
right to bear arms in defense of yourself in many cases according to the DCNR
regulations. I believe the term for that is "unconstitutional conditions".