• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BG attempting robbery shot by shop owner.

Dahwg

imported post

More details here: http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/crime/277607

Apparent robber shot dead at store
By Alex Dalenberg
ARIZONA DAILY STAR
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.27.2009

An employee at a South Side convenience store shot and killed one of two men trying to rob the store Monday and was himself wounded in the brief shootout, police said.
Two men walked into the Grand Market, in the 6200 block of South Sixth Avenue, sometime before 5:30 p.m., said Sgt. Mark Robinson, a Tucson Police Department spokesman.

They shot at an employee, a man in his early 50s, who fired back, Robinson said.

The employee shot one of the would-be-robbers, an 18-year-old, who ran outside into the parking lot where he collapsed and died. The other robber ran away, and police are still looking for him, Robinson said.

The employee was also shot. He was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Robinson said.
Witnesses described the missing suspect as in his mid-20s to early 30s. He was wearing a black-and-white football jersey and a red bandanna, Robinson said.

Margarita Grajeda lives in the area and drops into the Grand Market from time to time.

Grajeda wasn't surprised that someone could get shot trying to rob the market. She said the store had been robbed before, and it was only a matter of time before someone at the store was forced to shoot.

"I knew somebody was going to get shot someday," she said.
As for the store owners, she said she hoped they were all right.

r6-rider

imported post

good the employee didnt get serious injuries but still sucks he got shot.

18 and dead... sad. im 18 struggling with money, bills, life, etc but im not out robbing people so i cant say im very sympathetic but still 18 is a very young age to die at. but better him dead then an innocent

rscottie

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
I guess the 18 year old was OC'ing, since he isn't allowed to CC.
Funny the article didn't mention this.:banghead:
That is because the 18 y.o. was the robber, was not carrying openly for lawful purposesand now he is dead. He picked the wrong shopkeeper to rob and the shopkeeper saved the taxpayers all the costs of his future crime.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
good the employee didnt get serious injuries but still sucks he got shot.

18 and dead... sad. im 18 struggling with money, bills, life, etc but im not out robbing people so i cant say im very sympathetic but still 18 is a very young age to die at. but better him dead then an innocent

The difference between you and the dead BG, is that you were raised right, he wasn't.

Your right, 18 is a young age to pissones life away. Some have done it allot younger. People that don't value thier own life, will risk it foolishly

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
This poor man is probably going to have legal bills out the wazoo now :(

Not according to AZ 13-413

13-413. No civil liability for justified conduct

No person in this state shall be subject to civil liability for engaging in conduct otherwise justified pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13

Check under Chapter 4 from the above link concerning "Justification".

The store keep is immune from civil liability because he acted in justifiable self defense.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
And if they sue in a federal court?

I think a civil suit has to be started in the lower courts (State). And since the Arizona courts won't hear a complaint of wrongful injury or death of someone that was committing a crime, the compliant is dead in the water.

I believe you are thinnking about Fed Appeals courts. They hear "appeals" concerning judgments made in the lower courts.

IANAL so if anyone wants to step in here and explain this better, have at it.