• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.357 ammo???

Nate245

imported post

I was wondering if anyone knows of a place to get .357 ammo? I am in AZ most of my life is in Goodyear I can go all the way downtown does anyone know of a good place to get ammo that will fire well and can be trusted? I THOUGHT that I was getting good ammo but I ended up getting Glaser ammo and I am hearing things about it that wish I was not. what is a good Self-defense ammo? something that I can know will stop or more a BG. Thanks to all and happy OCing!

ChpprPilot136

imported post

what? lol.
I am assuming that your .357 is a magnum not a sig or any other variant. A .357 mag will stop a BG (or more) very quickly, even with relatively poor shot placement. But you better not miss cause sheetrock don't stop 'em all that well. Inside a house (or were collateral damage needs to be kept at a minimum) go with Speer Gold dot hollow point .38 special +P's or Magsafe ammo (though i have never used Magsafe myself). If you really want knock down power and range load up with the magnums! I only shoot the .357 mag's myself, but i don't use my GP100 w/ 6" barrel for bedside protection. Its for coyote's at 100 yards.

As far as were to buy them on the west side, I can't be of much help as i am new to the area myself. hopefully someone else might enlighten you on that. Can you make it the the east side? or just downtown?

r6-rider

imported post

lol .357 anything will stop anyone. i always buy winchester, they seem to make good ammo. and i just pick it up at wal mart. good "self defense" ammo would be hollow points (JHP)

Nate245

imported post

I can go east yes. As for walmart they are all sold out. I did get a chance to get 1 box of JHP .38 +p I shot 5 cause I just got the gun and wanted to see how she does not bad I must say! It is a Taurus 605 and Yes its a Mag sorry I forget about sigs:p

r6-rider

imported post

wal mart sold out:shock: but was it a SUPER wal mart haha jk

only other place i go to is Arizona Tactical Firearms (ATF) great staff they are always really cool there, i dont know much .357 would be, so id call them before hand if you do decide to drive all the way out here just to double check. they just re stocked their shelves with alot of weapons and ammo so they should have a good selection, and theyll know whats best they wont BS you

TOF

imported post

The Taurus 605 is relatively light and will recoil with athority when using full power .357 Mag loads. I own one and like it. Don't get me wrong, they can handle it and so can you. I do however reccomend that you stick with .38Spl loads for your introduction and most practice. The .38 +P rounds are adequate for defense use unless in very cold areas where thick coats are in use or as with me, you live in Black Bear country.

Cabelas should carry a selection of .38 and .357 loads and although I have not spent much time shopping in the west valley in the past few years I believe a look in the yellow pages phone book will lead you to several gun shops in your area.