• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flyer to hand out?

WBrian

imported post

Hi All,
Is there a downloadable flyer of some type that I can be handing out to people as the need arises as far as what the laws are as to OCing in VA? (CC would be good too)

I thought I had one a year ago, but I cannot find where it came from!
Thanks!
Brian

Darylvb

imported post

I've updated the Virginia Gun Right's pamphlet to reflect the additional states that honor Virginia's CHP andadded National Parks to the CHP only list.

DocDaddy

wylde007

imported post

As has been discussed elsewhere, VCU Campus no-carry is VA Administrative Code and does not encompass public streets and thoroughfares. It is restricted to University Property only.

And also recently legislated, National Parks are now OK for CC.

I only mention that one because the State Park no-carry section has a CC/CHP addendum.

That's a good piece of info to have. It looks like it was intended to be a two-sided printout made up for tri-fold.

TFred

imported post

I'm not sure who "owns" or maintains the flyer, but I have one small suggestion for configuration control purposes...

I suggest that a small date be added to the flyer, so that any printout that is found laying around at a future date can be evaluated for current relevance. This date should indicate the last time the flyer had been updated.

With no dates, it is impossible to know the age of a printed flyer, so also impossible to know if that particular printout reflects recent changes in rules or legislation.

Also, not quite as important, but it may be useful to add a date element to the file name as well, such as 0901 (year, month) appended to the end of the name part of the file. That may create issues for folks who bookmark the flyer directly at a web location, so take that suggestion under advisement.

Just a thought.

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
I'm not sure who "owns" or maintains the flyer, but I have one small suggestion for configuration control purposes...

I suggest that a small date be added to the flyer, so that any printout that is found laying around at a future date can be evaluated for current relevance. This date should indicate the last time the flyer had been updated.

With no dates, it is impossible to know the age of a printed flyer, so also impossible to know if that particular printout reflects recent changes in rules or legislation.

Also, not quite as important, but it may be useful to add a date element to the file name as well, such as 0901 (year, month) appended to the end of the name part of the file. That may create issues for folks who bookmark the flyer directly at a web location, so take that suggestion under advisement.

Just a thought.

TFred
Not sure anyone "owns" or "maintains" it. BobCav developed it about a year and a half ago. I can find the date. Adding a date is a good idea.

TFred

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Darylvb wrote:
How's this?
Be careful with that date - the flyer was made well before Jan 2009.
The idea is to add the current year and month to the flyer and the file name each time it is updated. This is so that you can see either the flyer or the file name and know with a fair amount of confidence that it does or does not reflect new information, such as the National Park concealed carry rule.

If you find a flyer on your desk with a date of October 2008, for example, you know for sure that it does not reflect the rule that was implemented in January 2009.

TFred

Bubba Ron

imported post

TFred wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
Darylvb wrote:
How's this?
The idea is to add the current year and month to the flyer and the file name each time it is updated. This is so that you can see either the flyer or the file name and know with a fair amount of confidence that it does or does not reflect new information, such as the National Park concealed carry rule.

If you find a flyer on your desk with a date of October 2008, for example, you know for sure that it does not reflect the rule that was implemented in January 2009.

TFred
No kidding ??? Do you always have to repeat an answer? The "rules" are implemented (go into effect) on July 1st - every year...

Darylvb

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
TFred wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
Darylvb wrote:
How's this?

TFred
No kidding ??? Do you always have to repeat an answer? The "rules" are implemented (go into effect) on July 1st - every year...
National Park carry 'rule' went into effect 08 Jan 2009. States that honor otherconcealed handgun permitscan go into effect anytime.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Darylvb wrote:
National Park carry 'rule' went into effect 08 Jan 2009. States that honor otherconcealed handgun permitscan go into effect anytime.
Darylvb, Do you suppose the "National Park carry rule" is addressed in the pamphlet that was produced earlier than the rule? That's the point - the pamphlet needs to be dated at the time it was created!! Also, the pamphlet in question is titled VIRGINIA GUN RIGHTS - new Virginia laws go into effect on July 1st each year.

Darylvb

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Darylvb wrote:
Darylvb, Do you suppose the "National Park carry rule" is addressed in the pamphlet that was produced earlier than the rule? That's the point - the pamphlet needs to be dated at the time it was created!! Also, the pamphlet in question is titled VIRGINIA GUN RIGHTS - new Virginia laws go into effect on July 1st each year.
You're not making any sense. Before January 08 it was illegal to conceal carry in Virginia's NationalParks. It is now legal. The pamphlet was updated to reflect this. Also two new statesnow recognized Virginia carry permits. That too was updated in the pamphlet. It is correct that Virginia laws go into effect July 1st, but that has nothing to do with the park rule or which states recognize the permit.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Darylvb wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
Darylvb wrote:
You're not making any sense. Before January 08 it was illegal to conceal carry in Virginia's NationalParks. It is now legal. The pamphlet was updated to reflect this. Also two new statesnow recognized Virginia carry permits. That too was updated in the pamphlet. It is correct that Virginia laws go into effect July 1st, but that has nothing to do with the park rule or which states recognize the permit.
You might want to fix your date - it should read "Before January 2009..." if ALL of the law changes have been updated and included, then the pamphlet should be OK. I didn't read it word for word - my bad. My point is don't change the date without ensuring ALL the information is current.