• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally back after a while

D53

imported post

So I have been away from the board for a while due to a hand injury and surgery that I had last month. I still have 1 more surgery to go to place a metal plate to reconnect my middle finger in my palm ( if your on calguns, it is all explained over there in this post

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=140787)

A long story short with no pictures, I had a piece of rebar go all the way through my left hand, and as of right now I can barely use my left hand, but it is getting better and will be pretty much 100% after my next surgery.

BUt I just wanted to say I am back on the board and back to OCing. Even though, like always, I don't look forward to having to use my pistol, I am still carrying it. Honestly with the way my hand is I can not pull the slide back and load a magazine. But right now I am OCing more for the reason to get it out in the open for the public to see and understand it. Today was my first day back out OCing and already I have talked to a couple of people, with my OC flyer in my pocket to show them and then also refering them to here and californiaopencarry.org . I am just happy to be back and looking forward to maybe a future OC group lunch or dinner.

Chris

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome back. Sorry to hear about your injury and unemployment. (Hopefully you're getting some benefits from the gestapo-enforced SDI and/or worker's comp.)

Be glad it's only your hand, though. I grew up around and worked in the construction trade, and saw some nasty injuries with rebar. One guy I know fell into a 6-ft deep footing and took a rebar through his gut - it actually didn't harm any of his internal organs, just slid between his intestines, past his kidney, and out the other side. Another guy I know fell backwards and sat on a 2-ft upright rebar - let's just say it took 'the path of least resistance.'

mjones

imported post

Many moons ago I was on the nightstocking crewfor a Von's grocery store (early 80s) The Lay's Potato Chips vendor was stacking boxes up really high in the backroom in preparation for a big super bowl sale.

For some reason he decided that standing on a stack of empty pallets would enable him to stack the boxes higher and take up less floor space. Unfortunately he made a bad decision to hop backwards onto the floor without looking. On his way to the ground a mop handle took the path of least resistance. This poor guy ended up with massive damage to internal organs; including puncturing a lung.

I've never heard a more blood-curdling scream in my life...and massive blood loss. He was incredibly lucky to survive. Complete recovery took about 3 years...I was completely astonished to see him back on the job after all that time.

Anyhow, welcome back and good luck with your recovery!

Decoligny

imported post

Have someone else lock the slide back and then you holster the unloaded weapon. This way, it is apparent to any LEO that it is unloaded, and if you need to load it, you would only need to insert a magazine and release the slide, thus saving your injured hand from unneccesary pain.

D53

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Have someone else lock the slide back and then you holster the unloaded weapon. This way, it is apparent to any LEO that it is unloaded, and if you need to load it, you would only need to insert a magazine and release the slide, thus saving your injured hand from unneccesary pain.

The only problem with that is finding a holster I can use that will function with the slide locked back. I am looking into a recoil reduction spring right now that might make a little more kick but I hopefully would be able to pullt the slide back. Also I have been sitting on my couch trying to figure out ways to lock the slide back using leverage. All in good time.

edit: Iusually carry a Glock 22, but for right now I am carrying my XD40 Tactical which for you non XD owners comes with a IMHO jankybelt holster. It is a level one, and is pretty much a 3" piece of kydex modeled for the xd frame. But I just slid the slide back andtryed to put it in the holster, and what do you know, it fit. The only thing is, I am on my way right now to look for alevel2 style retention holster. I am a huge Serpa fan, I have never had an issue with them. So we will see if it works with one of them.

As for all the get wells, Thank you, I am working on it.

r6-rider

imported post

i can lock my 1911 back and lock it into my serpa. not very comfy but it would be easy to throw a mag in it real quick and slide it forward

Decoligny

imported post

I noticed on the previews to the new Tom Cruise movie "Valkyrie" where a semiautomatic pistol is being racked by pushing the top edge of the slide against a table edge. It looks like the front sight grabs enough of the table to allow the gun to be pushed down and a round gets chambered.

Just a thought. Don't know how practical it would be.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I noticed on the previews to the new Tom Cruise movie "Valkyrie" where a semiautomatic pistol is being racked by pushing the top edge of the slide against a table edge. It looks like the front sight grabs enough of the table to allow the gun to be pushed down and a round gets chambered.

Just a thought. Don't know how practical it would be.
We were taught that trick in a pistol course I took years ago, except without a table. Part of the course was learning one-handed reloading. The instructional video showed a guy kneeling and using the heel of his boot to push back on the slide. I tried this a few times, and determined it would be impossible to do in a life-or-death self defense situation. Here as some better ways to achieve the same result:

The quality here isn't great, but here's how to rack the slide - kneeling, using the heel of your shoe.

Here's another way to rack the slide by catching the rear sight on your pants pocket. (Same principle, easier to do in a standing position... for that rare case where you aren't crouching behind cover in a self defense situation.)

AlanR

imported post

The better training schools will teach how to operate a pistol with one hand in case one becomes injured. Basically, you hook your rear sight on your belt, holster or top of a pocket and rack the slide while pressing the top back of the slide against your body. Obviously, there's the potential to violate Rule 2 here but if one of your hands or arms is out of commission things are already getting interesting. Reholster to change mags.

edit: typo

D53

imported post

Well I just tried the back of the shoe and it worked perfectly :celebrate, I was pretty shocked when it worked. I tried the back of my pants and I was only able to get half cocked. The recoil spring on this XD40 is a bit stiffer then my Glock 22, so maybe when I pick up my new Glock 22 ( had to sell the last one to pay medical bills) I will carry that one insted of the XD. Thanks for the videos.

prcE6

imported post

Hey this isn't too much of a necro-post is it???

Glad you're back in action, D53. Statistically, as the only two UOC'ers (that I know of) in Antelope, we're bound to run into each other sooner or later.

D53

imported post

Thanks, I will keep an eye out, I always do. As for me, its not too hard to miss a 5'11 140 white guy with a high and tight, big ears, and a unloaded holster gun on his right side. :cool:

cato

imported post

Youtwo need to call for a regional meet up for coffee/lunch some weekend. And post it over at calguns.net too.

San Diego now has fairly regular meet-ups with 30+ in attendance.