• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Mexico Restaurant carry

snoball

imported post

Does anyone have a status on these two bills? The House bill for restaurant carry was passed, but is there a matching Senate bill to make this into law?

The Senate bill to eliminate the 2 year refresher was also approved, but is there a House bill which is being considered so that this will happen?

Hopefully there is someone out there more savvy on the legislation. I have searched and cannot find anything other than the original two that passed....but that is not enough to make them law.

Hope these get done!!

Trainer23

imported post

I have lost my optimism. Just 2 weeks left and I can't find anything suggesting that the Senate is even considering this issue.:(

Anyone have info to the contrary?
:banghead:

snoball

imported post

The House passed a substitute HB 105 and the Senate passed SB 608 (passed 26-15), but when you go to the link for bills that have passed both houses

http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legRpt/legpassboth.aspx?year=09

it is not shown there or in the list of bills signed by the Governor. I have written the sponsors of both bills and chairs of the committeres, but I wonder if anyone on here knows the actual current status. The bills were to become law on July 1, 2009 if passed by both houses and signed by the governor, but I am concerned since they are not shown on the website. Any news? The Albuq. Journal did not list a status on this legislation.

Trainer23

imported post

Apparently the House Judiciary Committee brought HB105 back to committee and amended it. The bill was slated to go to the floor when the session ended. Never passed the House.:( It will be two years before we get another chance. :X

snoball

imported post

Lousy politicians. The committee approved the amended version, but I did not know the House did not vote on it. Thanks for the info. I will post anything the Sponsors or Chairpersons respond to me with....if they do!

RogueWarrior

imported post

This sucks but there is always next session

Three Pro-Gun Bills Fall Short in New Mexico as Legislature Adjourns Monday, March 23, 2009 Thank You to Those Who Answered the Call to Action!

Senate Bill 608 authored by State Senator George Munoz (D-4), New Mexico’s restaurant carry legislation, and Senate Bill 507 introduced by State Senator Stuart Ingle (R-27),a bill that would have eliminated the two-hour refresher course for certain Concealed Handgun Licensees. SB 608 and SB 507 each passedtwo Senate committees,the full Senate, and two House committees -- only to fail toreceive consideration by the full House due to a crowded calendar on the last day of session.

House Bill 105, introduced by State Representative John Heaton (D-55), the House version of the restaurant carry bill,passed two House committees and the full House -- only todie in the Senate Judiciary Committee, after it failed to reach a quorum on the last day it was scheduled to consider bills.

NRA-ILA will follow uplater this week to give you a list of legislators who were key to the progress we made on these important issues the first-time out. We fully intend to pursue similar measures in future legislative sessions!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Is there any way to address the law as unconstitutional within the New Mexico court system? It is my understanding that the NM law provides for the open carriage of firearms, but I know little more.

snoball

imported post

I wrote all the sponsors of the two bills and finally got responses back from two of them. Hopefully they will sponsor them again next year….if Obama doesn’t outlaw guns first. Here is what they replied:

[align=center]

RE: CCW in Restaurants- Status after legislative session

Sent By:

"Debbie Rodella" <Debbie.Rodella@nmlegis.gov>

On:

Apr 04/06/09 4:11 PM

To:

Sam Martin

[/align]
Unfortunately neither of the bills made it through the entire process. Rep. Heaton tried to bring up SB 608 on the House Floor on Saturday, the last day of the session and was not able to.

I believe HB 105 never made it out of the Senate either.

Debbie

[align=center]

Re: CCW in Restaurants- Status after legislative session

Sent By:

"Al Park" <alpark.nm@gmail.com>

On:

Apr 04/05/09 12:53 PM

To:

Sam Martin

[/align]
I am sorry to report that the bills failed for lack of time. Hopefully we can pass it next year.

Al

Edgeofhtewoods

imported post

Folks there is still time. The Governor can still sign SB 608 and SB 507 IF THEY ARE BROUGHT TO HIS DESK BY FRIDAY at 1200PM. Call Bill Hume at 505-476-2200 and POLITELY URGE him to hand carry them to the Governor.

Chuck Hudson
Edgewood NM