• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Hampton and going to OC

sasquatch308

imported post

Hey everyone, first post here, and after getting my first handgun over the weekend (HK45) will want to start OC, as I'll be waiting on my cc license and what not in the following weeks but plan on continuing OC. any other thoughts form you all that live here as I do (I'm near to Langley AFB on Big Bethal road.) and any insight and words of wisdom for me.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Taclead

imported post

Sasquach,

I live in that neighborhood and I OC frequently. Besides getting a voice recorder (which I've yet to need but I'd rather be safe), I would suggest keeping an eye out for those establishments that do not want weapons on the proprty. There aren't many, but Patrick Henry is particular about not posting but stoping you and asking you to leave if they see the weapon.

Other than that I've had nearly zero problems in this area while OC.

Taclead

Bubba Ron

imported post

sasquatch308 wrote:
Hey everyone, first post here, and after getting my first handgun over the weekend (HK45) will want to start OC, as I'll be waiting on my cc license and what not in the following weeks but plan on continuing OC. any other thoughts form you all that live here as I do (I'm near to Langley AFB on Big Bethal road.) and any insight and words of wisdom for me.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Welcome to OCDO!!! You sure did pick a great gun for your first one. If you are going to open carry, I'd suggest a hi-quality retention holster - my wife and I use the Blackhawk Serpa CQCs but I'm not sure they make one for the HK45 yet - my wife carries an HK USP Compact .40 in one so they do make them for some HK's.

You'll see that we do Open Carry Dining Outs here in Tidewater, in fact the next one should be on the Peninsula. Look for the topic titled something like "Tidewater (month) OC Dining Out" or close to that. We try to do 2 a month.

If you haven't already, join VCDL http://www.vcdl.org they are the absolute best grassroots organization for our 2nd Amendment rights in Virginia.

22crew

imported post

welcome sasquatch. im in the same boat as you. looking for my first handgun and also going to be getting my concealed carry also soon hopefully. not sure if im ready to OC yet but anyway. were almost neighbors, i live in bethel manor. well welcome.

22crew

Virginian683

imported post

I'm from Hampton and I've OC'd there half a dozen times (I'm not there so often for the time being) without incident. Although it does seem that I get better than normal service for some reason. :)

Only thing that ever happened was once in a KFC some teens came in and I heard one of them say "Look he's got a gun." Then they went on to talking about movies.

I'm also White and try to dress smartly. (Yes, it matters.)

Eeyore

imported post

Sasquatch,

Welcome!

Like you, I live off Big Bethel. I mostly CC, but OC into restaurants that serve alcohol. Maybe more often now that I have a larger weapon and a good retention holster. :)

Anyway, the only place I've run into a problem was Abbey Road Pub in VA Beach. You can read thru the "Open Carry in Hampton Roads" thread on this forum, and of course attend one of the monthly dinners with Bubba Ron, Dutch Uncle,et al. (You might even meet a "celebrity" like Danbus or Chet!)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Another "Welcome to OCDO."

If you guys are going to OC in Hampton, you should be OK. However, you need to do a search for "Danbus" to get some idea of the shennanigans going on in Norfolk - thus the recommendations for voice recorders (also do a search for that term - lots of info).

+1 on hooking up with the Hampton Roads OC Dinner bunches (both of them). Good fellowship, and good info exchanged along with good eats.

+infinity on joining VCDL www.vcdl.org if you are not yet members. You can join on-line, or meet some of the folks at one of the local gun shows and fill out the application there. (Little-known secret - if you work the VCDL table at a gun show you get in free. Back in the day you could get a vendor discount too - but those are just legends nowdays :()

Just about everybody will tell you trhat the first few times OCing it felt like they had a humongus wart on their hip that everybody was staring at. After a while that feeling goes away and you can start enjoying the :what:and :?and :cool:looks from folks. When you start to lean to one side if you do not put it on in the morning you will know you have "arrived". Unless you are wearing the holster and forget to put something in it - right Grapeshot?:p

stay safe.

skidmark

my19nme

imported post

Hey everyone, First post and really enjoy all the reading and information I've came across so far. Will do the OC for the first time tonight. A little apprehensive but, gotta do it. Thanks to all that post, this is wealth of information for all and now i'm hooked on reading and will definately try to attend an OC Diner in the future. Thanks again to all.....:)

Bubba Ron

imported post

my19nme wrote:
Hey everyone, First post and really enjoy all the reading and information I've came across so far. Will do the OC for the first time tonight. A little apprehensive but, gotta do it. Thanks to all that post, this is wealth of information for all and now i'm hooked on reading and will definately try to attend an OC Diner in the future. Thanks again to all.....:)
Welcome to OCDO !!!! If you're in the Tidewater area, we have a dining out on Wednesday - look for the topic "Tidewater February OC Dining Out" on this site and join us if you can.

Also, take a look at www.vcdl.org if you're not a member, please consider joining....at a minimum, sign up for the free email VA-Alerts...there's a link for it on the VCDL website.

my19nme

imported post

Bubba Ron, Thanks for the reply. Sent out my VCDL Membership this morning. I finally OC'd last night. Went to the Office Max on VB Blvd, Party City on VB Blvd and the Carvel Cake placeon VB Blvd. Had one guy look at me puzzled and other than that was a great feeling:celebrate. The wife is fine with it and things went well. Can't guarentee the dinning out in York County but if one comes into the VB area, I'll be there. Thanks again..:)

Bubba Ron

imported post

Good to hear you joined VCDL, you won't be disappointed!!

The County Grille is a great place to eat and it's not too far from VB. It's off Exit 258-B (Route 17-N)on I-64, then about a mile down the road on the left. When you see the county line sign, start looking to the left, the County Grille is in a small strip mall and if you miss the first light I think you can still use the next light to get there.

Edited to add: No pressure here, it's just great to have new folks join us, and enjoy our civil rights!!

ravonaf

imported post

I OC'd in Newport News last night for the first time. Granted it was only from my home to the CWC class I was taking. It was different, that's for sure.

Penturner

imported post

my19nme wrote:
Bubba Ron, Thanks for the reply. Sent out my VCDL Membership this morning. I finally OC'd last night. Went to the Office Max on VB Blvd, Party City on VB Blvd and the Carvel Cake placeon VB Blvd. Had one guy look at me puzzled and other than that was a great feeling:celebrate. The wife is fine with it and things went well. Can't guarentee the dinning out in York County but if one comes into the VB area, I'll be there. Thanks again..:)

Hey there, It sounds like we're neighbors. I live about 3/4 mile from Carvel. I've O/C'd all over the area without issue. Oops! Except for one visit to Best Buy, the mgr there didn't like guns.

Penturner

my19nme

imported post

Hey Penturner, I actually live in the bayside area, OC'd all over the place yesterday, no issues at all. I hope that a lot more people in VB start OC'ing more. I''ve lived here for 26 years and have never seen an OCer! Strange or is it that I believe in it and subconciously I just don,t notice? Anyway, thanks for the note and all have a great day:exclaim: