Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pistol or rifle?

Post imported post

im currently trying to sell my pistol to get an assault rifle before the supposed "ban" but then i cannot carry since that is my only firearm right now. i feel like im in a gamble here, if i buy an AR right now its at a high price but i might not get the chance to get one again, but if obama doesnt get the ban going prices will drop

Post imported post

Is this ban on assault rifles a sure bet, or is it complete speculation? I'm debating weather or not to buy one at the next gun show.

Post imported post

Bout all I can offer you in advice, is don't set yourself up to be an only one gun guy, that'd be likeowning a one pedal bike, when the terrain is in your favor it would serve you fair, but when you really need to get up the next hill, the competition will out do you..

Post imported post

oh believe me i know, im all about having as many weapons as possible but the funds just arent there right now. only reason i am considering this is because i dont want to be kicking myself later for not getting one before the ban. i know pistols will always be there

Post imported post

Hold onto your pistol.

Save up a few bucks out of every paycheck for your rifle. Don't worry about any "ban" until some congressman gets a bill passed and Mr O signs it.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    oh believe me i know, im all about having as many weapons as possible but the funds just arent there right now. only reason i am considering this is because i dont want to be kicking myself later for not getting one before the ban. i know pistols will always be there
    Assault weapons will always be there also, they won't just evaporate into thin air..

Post imported post

i know, they will just cost alot more. i would save and get one but im deploying in march so i wont have the opportunity to buy one til next year

Post imported post

PAY ADVANCE!!??

Post imported post

didnt think about that. sounds like its a good option though for my situation

Post imported post

I agree with everyone who said hang on to the pistol, save up some money and get the rifle later. You'll hear about any bans long before they're enacted, and there is bound to be a good long fight over it at the first mention. No worries.

Post imported post

Keep the pistol and just save up for a long gun. If there is a ban and you don't have enough cash to buy an AR or AK, look at pistol caliber carbines. They aren't a bad comprimise in my opinion.

Post imported post

I'd say forget the AR, get an AK instead. A heck of a lot less money so you can get it before the ban comes down the pipe.......and if you can do it F2F (if that's legal in your state), that'd be even better, so the feds don't know you have it.

Post imported post

You say you are being deployed in March so I assume you are in the military. Buy a stripped lower receiver. That's considered the gun since it has the serial #. It will be a pre-ban gun. You can get the rest of the parts later. Since it is a pre-ban gun, you can build it anyway you like. Keep the pistol.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Keep the handgun. As said by Compmanio365, get a cheaper AK if you can before deployment. You'll have one of each. You should have some bucks saved up later, after your tour. If AR's aren't available in a year you should be able to find stripped or complete lowers for sale.

Post imported post

I know this is leading a bit off topic, but I too want an... dare I say it... "assault rifle". I feel dirty calling it such. But anyway, who makes a good new AK? Should I get one of those Saiga conversions? Or should I find an old surplus Romanian AK?

Post imported post

Squid13 wrote:
    I know this is leading a bit off topic, but I too want an... dare I say it... "assault rifle". I feel dirty calling it such. But anyway, who makes a good new AK? Should I get one of those Saiga conversions? Or should I find an old surplus Romanian AK?
    Get whatever is cheapest. Just see it up close first, make sure the gas block isn't messed up and the front sight isn't canted. Other than that, you can't go wrong. I have a WASR-10, which a lot of people seem to knock, but it goes bang every time, haven't cleaned it yet, and it shoots pretty well to where I'm aiming. And you don't have to dremel the dang thing to take 30 rd mags.

The Saiga is sure a nice rifle, made by the Russians themselves, but it only takes 10 rd mags from the factory. You have to do a dremel job on the mag well to get it to take the 30 rd mags. If you don't mind doing that however, the Saiga is definitely a step up in fit and finish though.....

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Squid13 wrote:
    Get whatever is cheapest. Just see it up close first, make sure the gas block isn't messed up and the front sight isn't canted. Other than that, you can't go wrong. I have a WASR-10, which a lot of people seem to knock, but it goes bang every time, haven't cleaned it yet, and it shoots pretty well to where I'm aiming. And you don't have to dremel the dang thing to take 30 rd mags.

The Saiga is sure a nice rifle, made by the Russians themselves, but it only takes 10 rd mags from the factory. You have to do a dremel job on the mag well to get it to take the 30 rd mags. If you don't mind doing that however, the Saiga is definitely a step up in fit and finish though.....
    Appreciate the advice. To keep it on topic, I'd also reccommend keeping the pistol. The best gun for self deffense is the one you have on you.

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    I have a WASR-10, which a lot of people seem to knock, but it goes bang every time, haven't cleaned it yet, and it shoots pretty well to where I'm aiming. And you don't have to dremel the dang thing to take 30 rd mags.
    There are a LOT of shards of steel that Century likes to leave in a WASR after their inbred, drunk monkeys make their guns. You should really think about cleaning the thing. I agree it's a good deal, just so long as the sight isn't messed up.

But what I wouldn't do is sacrifice a pistol to get a rifle. You can't carry a rifle everywhere you go, especially not if there is a ban on carrying and you have to resort to CC. And frankly, if they do a California or worse style ban nation wide, I don't think gun laws will be worth taking seriously any more. That's not to say that I ever encourage anyone to break gun laws, but certainly it's not something I can speak out against if the second amendment gets completely set aside.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Our "family gift" at Christmas was a pre-ban Chinese Norinco AK. It's pretty awesome.

I'll say this too - if I had bought it before the election it would have cost a lot less! They're going for about double now.

We also own a couple of SKS's I'm pretty pleased with. They cost a lot less.

Beware of some of the new AK copies. Get a trusted 3rd party opinion before purchase. Some of them aren't very well made.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

I don't want to be too ... Um ... Explicit, but if the time comes when you really NEED a rifle after ban, you can get one from the nearest bad guy by using your handgun.

In the meantime, it is unlikely that the supply will go away overnight. But if you want to get started before prices go any higher, picking up the lower now and getting the parts later is a very good idea. The upper parts will not go up as much in price as the lowers will.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Buy a stripped AR lower. Many are going for approx $200 now. Finish it at your leisure, buy a lower parts kit when you can, buy a butt stock when you can, buy a complete upper when you can or put your own upper together as you can.

Then you have your pistol and a rifle/carbine.

There are several websites that have instructions for putting an AR15 together. AR15.com is only one of them.

Post imported post

m-aparts is a good site for AR parts and kits.

There is also the Ebay of firearms, but you take your chances there just like with Ebay.

Post imported post

I have enough hunting rifles and am not into the so-called "assault rifles" but what I have always wanted and put off until now, is an M1 Garand. If I remember right, the Clinton administration was having the surplus ones melted down and I expect no less from the Obama administration.

So I went through the stepsof ordering one from the Civilian Marksmanship Program right after the election. I ordered a Service Grade rifle and it came the other day. The bore is in very good condition and the stock is new. The finish has no rust and very little in the way of blemishes. I am very pleased with the condition and I can't wait to shoot it...but finding ammunition is a problem.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
    ...SNIP
    but finding ammunition is a problem.
    Any FMJ .30-06 ammo will work just fine. At most gun shows there will be someone selling surplus clips to hold the ammo. Loading the clips is not hard, but you ought to get at least a dozen of them. Load the clips up the night before a range trip and off you go.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
    I have enough hunting rifles and am not into the so-called "assault rifles" but what I have always wanted and put off until now, is an M1 Garand. If I remember right, the Clinton administration was having the surplus ones melted down and I expect no less from the Obama administration.

So I went through the stepsof ordering one from the Civilian Marksmanship Program right after the election. I ordered a Service Grade rifle and it came the other day. The bore is in very good condition and the stock is new. The finish has no rust and very little in the way of blemishes. I am very pleased with the condition and I can't wait to shoot it...but finding ammunition is a problem.
    You can purchase the ammo in en bloc clips from CMP also. Usually for a pretty good price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast