• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pistol or rifle?

r6-rider

imported post

im currently trying to sell my pistol to get an assault rifle before the supposed "ban" but then i cannot carry since that is my only firearm right now. i feel like im in a gamble here, if i buy an AR right now its at a high price but i might not get the chance to get one again, but if obama doesnt get the ban going prices will drop

hunter45

imported post

Is this ban on assault rifles a sure bet, or is it complete speculation? I'm debating weather or not to buy one at the next gun show.

Carnivore

imported post

Bout all I can offer you in advice, is don't set yourself up to be an only one gun guy, that'd be likeowning a one pedal bike, when the terrain is in your favor it would serve you fair, but when you really need to get up the next hill, the competition will out do you..

r6-rider

imported post

oh believe me i know, im all about having as many weapons as possible but the funds just arent there right now. only reason i am considering this is because i dont want to be kicking myself later for not getting one before the ban. i know pistols will always be there

sraacke

imported post

Hold onto your pistol.

Save up a few bucks out of every paycheck for your rifle. Don't worry about any "ban" until some congressman gets a bill passed and Mr O signs it.

Carnivore

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
oh believe me i know, im all about having as many weapons as possible but the funds just arent there right now. only reason i am considering this is because i dont want to be kicking myself later for not getting one before the ban. i know pistols will always be there
Assault weapons will always be there also, they won't just evaporate into thin air..

r6-rider

imported post

i know, they will just cost alot more. i would save and get one but im deploying in march so i wont have the opportunity to buy one til next year

r6-rider

imported post

didnt think about that. sounds like its a good option though for my situation

Pamiam

imported post

I agree with everyone who said hang on to the pistol, save up some money and get the rifle later. You'll hear about any bans long before they're enacted, and there is bound to be a good long fight over it at the first mention. No worries.

eyesopened

imported post

Keep the pistol and just save up for a long gun. If there is a ban and you don't have enough cash to buy an AR or AK, look at pistol caliber carbines. They aren't a bad comprimise in my opinion.

compmanio365

imported post

I'd say forget the AR, get an AK instead. A heck of a lot less money so you can get it before the ban comes down the pipe.......and if you can do it F2F (if that's legal in your state), that'd be even better, so the feds don't know you have it.

rodbender

imported post

You say you are being deployed in March so I assume you are in the military. Buy a stripped lower receiver. That's considered the gun since it has the serial #. It will be a pre-ban gun. You can get the rest of the parts later. Since it is a pre-ban gun, you can build it anyway you like. Keep the pistol.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Keep the handgun. As said by Compmanio365, get a cheaper AK if you can before deployment. You'll have one of each. You should have some bucks saved up later, after your tour. If AR's aren't available in a year you should be able to find stripped or complete lowers for sale.

Squid13

imported post

I know this is leading a bit off topic, but I too want an... dare I say it... "assault rifle". I feel dirty calling it such. But anyway, who makes a good new AK? Should I get one of those Saiga conversions? Or should I find an old surplus Romanian AK?

compmanio365

imported post

Squid13 wrote:
I know this is leading a bit off topic, but I too want an... dare I say it... "assault rifle". I feel dirty calling it such. But anyway, who makes a good new AK? Should I get one of those Saiga conversions? Or should I find an old surplus Romanian AK?
Get whatever is cheapest. Just see it up close first, make sure the gas block isn't messed up and the front sight isn't canted. Other than that, you can't go wrong. I have a WASR-10, which a lot of people seem to knock, but it goes bang every time, haven't cleaned it yet, and it shoots pretty well to where I'm aiming. And you don't have to dremel the dang thing to take 30 rd mags.

The Saiga is sure a nice rifle, made by the Russians themselves, but it only takes 10 rd mags from the factory. You have to do a dremel job on the mag well to get it to take the 30 rd mags. If you don't mind doing that however, the Saiga is definitely a step up in fit and finish though.....

Squid13

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Squid13 wrote:
Get whatever is cheapest. Just see it up close first, make sure the gas block isn't messed up and the front sight isn't canted. Other than that, you can't go wrong. I have a WASR-10, which a lot of people seem to knock, but it goes bang every time, haven't cleaned it yet, and it shoots pretty well to where I'm aiming. And you don't have to dremel the dang thing to take 30 rd mags.

The Saiga is sure a nice rifle, made by the Russians themselves, but it only takes 10 rd mags from the factory. You have to do a dremel job on the mag well to get it to take the 30 rd mags. If you don't mind doing that however, the Saiga is definitely a step up in fit and finish though.....
Appreciate the advice. To keep it on topic, I'd also reccommend keeping the pistol. The best gun for self deffense is the one you have on you.

Michigander

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I have a WASR-10, which a lot of people seem to knock, but it goes bang every time, haven't cleaned it yet, and it shoots pretty well to where I'm aiming. And you don't have to dremel the dang thing to take 30 rd mags.
There are a LOT of shards of steel that Century likes to leave in a WASR after their inbred, drunk monkeys make their guns. You should really think about cleaning the thing. I agree it's a good deal, just so long as the sight isn't messed up.

But what I wouldn't do is sacrifice a pistol to get a rifle. You can't carry a rifle everywhere you go, especially not if there is a ban on carrying and you have to resort to CC. And frankly, if they do a California or worse style ban nation wide, I don't think gun laws will be worth taking seriously any more. That's not to say that I ever encourage anyone to break gun laws, but certainly it's not something I can speak out against if the second amendment gets completely set aside.

Pamiam

imported post

Our "family gift" at Christmas was a pre-ban Chinese Norinco AK. It's pretty awesome.

I'll say this too - if I had bought it before the election it would have cost a lot less! They're going for about double now.

We also own a couple of SKS's I'm pretty pleased with. They cost a lot less.

Beware of some of the new AK copies. Get a trusted 3rd party opinion before purchase. Some of them aren't very well made.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't want to be too ... Um ... Explicit, but if the time comes when you really NEED a rifle after ban, you can get one from the nearest bad guy by using your handgun.

In the meantime, it is unlikely that the supply will go away overnight. But if you want to get started before prices go any higher, picking up the lower now and getting the parts later is a very good idea. The upper parts will not go up as much in price as the lowers will.