• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any explaination for the first "rule" on back of CCL?

Dianosis

imported post

If Alabama is truely OC, why is this listed on the back of my CCL:

1. This pistol permit does not permit you to carry a gun openly.

This has bugged me since I recieved my license. If Alabama is OC (and I believe it is) why cause the confusion of adding this on every license?

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

:question:

macgulley

imported post

Dianosis wrote:

This has bugged me since I recieved my license. If Alabama is OC (and I believe it is) why cause the confusion of adding this on every license?

That is absolutely accurate. However the permit also does not prohibit your carrying openly. Technically, open carry is legal and requires no permit. I'll not speculate on the purpose of putting this on your license.

kurtmax_0

imported post

macgulley wrote:
Dianosis wrote:

That is absolutely accurate. However the permit also does not prohibit your carrying openly. Technically, open carry is legal and requires no permit. I'll not speculate on the purpose of putting this on your license.

Right. I've never seen a permit that says OC is not allowed. It's a clever play on words to convince you to conceal.

Detour

imported post

Yep even in Marshall Co. on there permit it says...This permit doesnt give you the right to carry openly.. And when an officer pointed that out to me I said you know you are right it doesnt but the second amendment does and a permit is not needed to carry open.. So this permit doesnt give me the right to carry open just to conceal and no permit is needed to ocw the second amendment gives me that right..

He had nothing to say after that.....

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I wonder if Alabama would print: " This driver's license does not permit you to ride a bicyle, nor to roller-skate" on the backs of their licenses?
It's just as technically true, isn't it?

Detour

imported post

I just think this all has to do with that the LEO doesnt want anyone haveing guns ocw in open view and easy to get to ..... maybe they think they can draw down on you faster lolI dont know....I guess if we all could carry the way they do it would make it an even playing field.... I guess if civilians can ocw it would put them on an even playing field as the LEO

I mean what bad guys would ocw in the open they would want to hide it cause im sure most are bad guys (felons) or cant legally own a weapon anyway and they sure wouldnt want to draw attention to themself......plus and this is just my opinion a man or lady that ocw and is out in public is more likely to prevent a crime or at least stop a crime from becoming more violent. It seems more of a deterrnt..

I just think ifI was a bad guy and was hell bent on robbing ,hurting or what ever andI see one person alone which looks like he has no weapon orI see one man thats has a weapon ocw I would more likely go after the one person that looks like hes unarmed.. AmI the only one that thinks this way....

kurtmax_0

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
I wonder if Alabama would print: " This driver's license does not permit you to ride a bicyle, nor to roller-skate" on the backs of their licenses?

I can't tell if you are being a troll or not.

It's pretty clear that OC is legal in Alabama, despite what it says on a Pistol Permit. Remember, each individual Sheriff make their own permit. It's not like the AG signs off on them. I doubt they even have an attorney look over them.

Detour

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Fallschirmjäger wrote:

I can't tell if you are being a troll or not.

It's pretty clear that OC is legal in Alabama, despite what it says on a Pistol Permit. Remember, each individual Sheriff make their own permit. It's not like the AG signs off on them. I doubt they even have an attorney look over them.

You are right they put what they want to on the permitand in the hopes that we dont question them or know any better and if you doquestion them they give you the run around and direct you to public relations officer then say they will check in to it and over and over in hopes you will give up..

You would think that since they are LEO they should know the law and wouldnt have to ask or find out since they are suppose to inforce the law and its kinda sad when they are trying to enforce the laws and dont even know what they really are or dont want to admit what they are if its aganist what they want you to know or do ..

I just wounder how many people have been arrested and charged for things that are legal but are told they are not and not many people have lotts of moany to fight or have the ways to really find out what the law really says and im sure the LEO are hopeing and knowing that it takes money to fight them and thats what alot of peopledont have is alot of money or maybe internet to really research things like this

To be honest with you if it wasnt for the internet and this open carry site and lots of research and phone calls I could have been looked up just because they said no you cant ocw its illegal and i wouldnt have known any different and most attorneys around heredont know that ocw is legal and dont even want to take a case like this.

It like what ever the Sheriff or a Cheif of police says is like gospel. they are starting to see that the internet is now starting to help the law abideing person like its there enemy.Knology is power and it can be used against them.. And they hate that cause now they really have to watch what they say and do.

Another thing that bothers be is how LEO will tell the public well we did this to protect the public and they put a spin on things and try and play on the publics sympathy like they are doing them a favor to protect them the (civilians or public)and its in there best intrest and in fact some times we need to be protected from them (LEO). They always seem to act like they are doing it for us and trying to protect us and that ocw will alarm the public or your scareing people

To me its the fact the LEO are telling people ocw is illegal and bad and then when some one sees a person ocw then they must be wrong cause the LEO said so. Thats what is scareing the public

Dianosis

imported post

To me its the fact the LEO are telling people ocw is illegal and bad and then when some one sees a person ocw then they must be wrong cause the LEO said so. Thats what is scareing the public
“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” -Benjamin Franklin

Detour

imported post

In my case the Sheriffs office and Police departments first said no , no ocw is illegal and cant do it so they pulled my permit then after the DA in my county told them it was legal and I got it back.... They went to now saying well you are alarming the public and scareing people and then pulled it again..And to top it all off i hadnt had one cal on me for a man with a gun all my dealings with LEO were at stores and food places where the cops were already there so since they have no calls on me and knowing that oce is legal they say well lets pull his permit and say hes alarming the public and knowing that pulling my permit cant keep me from ocw on foot he has to have the permit to get into a vehicle and they know im not walking everywhere.

If this isnt a misuse of power and an injustice then what is it..I mean in the 6 mo i was ocw i had not one call of a 10-32 ( man with a gun) not one call. They just seen a way to keep me from getting from A to B without breaking the law.

MY point is if ocw is leagl while on foot why take away my ccw permit knowingI need that to have it in my vehicle and to drive to placeis that I visit and shop, eat, fish, hang out, etc.

I guess they sat around thinking well if ocw is legal and we dont want that here in our county then what can we do and to stop it and they came up with the idea lets pull his ccw permit and make him walk everywhere if he wants to ocw.

IfI broke no ccw law (whichI did not) why else pull my ccw permit. Well it seems real simple to me what do you think. Am i wrong to think this ?? Does anyone else see it the wayI see it... and then have the nerve to say the night they took my weapon and permit the second time thatI come in captain ds with teeshirt, tommy hilfiger shorts and flip flops and the officer saidI got his attention, but I told him I didnt see anything in the Alabama gun laws about a dress code and didnt know there was a dress code to ocw didI over look anything Mr. LEO..LOL now that was really dumb to even say that to me..

What do you guys think am I missing something here??? Where am I wrong in this deal. If i was breaking the law and ocw was illegal then why take my weapon and permit and not arrest me and then 3 days later give me my weapon back but not my permit .. Seems to me if im alarming the public and broke the law why not arrest me and why give me my weapon back but not my permit. I havent heard of anyone hurting another person with a permit but lets keep it and give him hisweapon back minus 2 bullets lol.....This is whats really weird.

Again if anyone knows why a permit is kept and a weapon is not please let me know. Seems like my permit is more of an alarm, scaring peopleand adeadly weapon than my own weapon..

49er

imported post

Detour said,

" Again if anyone knows why a permit is kept and a weapon is not please let me know. Seems like my permit is more of an alarm, scaring peopleand adeadly weapon than my own weapon.."

Detour,

Our current law grants sheriffs broad discretion in deciding which citizens are
fit to be issued pistol permits/licenses. Obviously, the officer who confronted
you has convinced your sheriff that you are not fit for him to issue you a permit.

That does not keep you from bearing arms in a vehicle. Obviously, your sheriff
would rather have you carry a long gun in your vehicle for protection. You need
a different sheriff when the next election rolls around. Votes are what he needs
to stay in office, so make sure you do all you can to see he doesn't get votes and
that a man fit to replace him as sheriff does.

Here's an AG opinion that discusses the sheriff's discretion:

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/pdfopinions/2003-230.pdf

Here is the reason you got your pistol back:

Constitution of Alabama 1901

SECTION 5 Unreasonable search and seizure; search warrants. That the people shall be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and possessions from unreasonable seizure or searches, and that no warrants shall issue to search any place or to seize any person or thing without probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation.

[emphasis added: "possessions" does not appear in the Fourth Amendment to our U.S. Constitution.]

kurtmax_0

imported post

The sheriff does have discretion, but according to case law he must have a valid reason that someone shouldn't be allowed to possess a pistol. Key word here is possess, not carry. So if the Sheriff has a valid reason that Detour shouldn't possess a pistol than why does he say it's okay to carry it unconcealed?

I'm not going to cite any references here as it's been covered a bajillion times. Just search the forums.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

My two favorite lines, are #4 alcohol being served.
I asked if this means I can now serve booze if I take off my gun since i'm in a dry county.
and best of all #6 if I violate any of the above I will be arrested for illegal CC.
How does one carry OC in 'violation' of number 1 get charged with CC?

I am a little peaved at the public building sentence, but will worry about that
one when my rights get violated in said building.

But if you notice there is nothing there about carrying in a vehicle, and that
is the only reason (well schools also) I even bother with it.

Guess the best thing to do is see if the print will erase like they do with checks now.

Anyone know if they have started imbedding the microchip in drivers licences yet?
My wifes new one looked real strange to me.

Detour

imported post

ol_49er wrote:
Detour,

Our current law grants sheriffs broad discretion in deciding which citizens are
fit to be issued pistol permits/licenses. Obviously, the officer who confronted
you has convinced your sheriff that you are not fit for him to issue you a permit.

That does not keep you from bearing arms in a vehicle. Obviously, your sheriff
would rather have you carry a long gun in your vehicle for protection. You need
a different sheriff when the next election rolls around. Votes are what he needs
to stay in office, so make sure you do all you can to see he doesn't get votes and
that a man fit to replace him as sheriff does.

Here's an AG opinion that discusses the sheriff's discretion:

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/pdfopinions/2003-230.pdf

Here is the reason you got your pistol back:

SECTION 5 Unreasonable search and seizure; search warrants. That the people shall be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and possessions from unreasonable seizure or searches, and that no warrants shall issue to search any place or to seize any person or thing without probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation.

OL_49er ..I have to say thatif that LEO told the sheriff anything it had to be a lie because I was not breaking any laws and dont you think that if a man with a gun was breaking any law that he or she would or should have been arrested.

I was ocwing that night eating with my wife. The officer was already there eating when we got there. After getting our food and getting a seat I noticed my order was wrong.The LEOapproached me at the counter as Iwas swapping a baked potato for fries and he ask me ifI was a cop I saidno, he then told meI could not carry open . I then said I have some paper work in my truck and had been infromed that ocw was legal by the DA, NRA, and a Attorney but he again saidI amtelling you its illegal and that he wasnt going to argue with me about and said he didnt care what papers I had and ask me for I.D. Then he reached overand took my weapon out of my serpa holstertook my clip out , ejected the round in the chamber, activated my laser light as this was going on I ask him if we could do this outside and to please at least look at my paper work. He layed my weapon and clip on the counter looked at my ID called it in and ask if I had a permit I said yes but a permit is not needed to OCW while on foot as its not concealed and my permit was in my truck. I again ask him to please lets do this outside and to please just look at my paper work that the DA of this county told me to make sure to keep with me if an officer was to question me. Finally he said show me what you got and said but im telling you its not legal and he wasnt going to keep argueing with me about this. I said to him im not argueing with you Im just trying to get you to look at my papers and a agreementI have sayingI can and will ocw in a peacful manner as of Alabama law. After showing him my permit and him looking at maybe one of the papers he said you know what to prove my point IM keeping your weapon and permit and to get it backI would have to talk to the chief. He also said you come in here with tee-shirt aand shorts and flip flops and alarming people.I said how did I alarm people I have OCW herea few times and no one called the cops he then said well you got my attention.. I guess whenI told him I didnt see and did not know that there was a dress code in the gun laws to carry a weapon that made him mad.

Hewas the only one alarming anyone that night by disarming me in public with people around and ejecting a bullet and activating my laser light at the counter

I had proof I could possess a weapon,had a permit, an agreement showing I could OCW, a AGs opinion, DAs name and phone number on my packet, Papers and court cases from an attorney, and also some NRA stuff...My god what more doesa man need??? so why takeand keep my weapon??? andI was not arrested. Alabama code 15-5-31 states clearlyI was to either get my weapon backif possessed legally or arrested butol_49 but neither of those happen and I ask why???He was being very Firm and kinda short and smart to me. He treated me unfairly and made me feel like a criminal.

Also you are right the sheriff has broad discretion but it says clearly he has to deem ( prove )a person unsuitable..So can you answer me this?? How is swapping a potato for fries unsuitable?????

IfI was suitable to geta permitwhenI applied for one. I must have been suitable againfor them to give it back after pulling it for ocwand beingtold by the DA that ocw was legal. Then to pull it again thistime saying now your are alarming the publicforocw. Bottom line is they dont want anyone but LEO to OCW so

The first time they pulled it the chief deputy told me to my face that they were not pulling it becauseI was unsuitablebut that they wanted to check and make sure that ocw was legal.

The sheriff of any county of Alabama has to have a good reason to not give a permit..He cant just not give you one cause he dont like you or because he thinks ocw should be illegal. he has to find you unsuitable and it states that in your opion you posted . And also in the alabama gun laws 13a-11-75 and see if you see the word suitable......

§ 13A-11-75. License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person --

[align=left]Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation.
The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date ofissue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by theSecretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall bedelivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered orcertified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by anapplicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.[/align]
[align=left](Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951,[/align]
[align=left]No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)[/align]
[align=left]Notice it says upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.[/align]
[align=left]So ol_49er Please show me or tell me where im wrong here and why or how swapping a potato makes me unsuitable.. Maybe im missing something and how is taking my weapon and not being arrested not breaking Alabama codes 15-5-31 while 15-5-30 was also being violated[/align]
[align=left]And im not sure what the last part of your post means This is why you got your weapon back....[/align]

[align=left]I got my weapon back because the DA said he wasnt going to press charges. I wasnt breaking any laws.[/align]
[align=left]I didnt get my permit back because theydont want people to OCW period.[/align]