• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone ever Open Carry on a motorcycle?

Dianosis

imported post

I was just curious if anyone rides an if they ever did it carrying openly. I drive my Buell quite often an would love to OC while riding. Talk about freedom! Anyone have thoughts, comments, stories?

SFCRetired

imported post

I believe the law states that you must have a permit for carry "in" a vehicle. I see nothing about carrying "on" a vehicle. However, I would check with an attorney who is very familiar with Alabama firearms laws.

I do know that "in" a vehicle is construed by Alabama law to be concealed carry.

goosehead

imported post

I'm planning to ride my Harley to Louisiana from Virginia looks like the only state that doesn't honor my CCW will be Alabama which I plan to open carry/

acrimsontide

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
goosehead wrote:
I'm planning to ride my Harley to Louisiana from Virginia looks like the only state that doesn't honor my CCW will be Alabama which I plan to open carry/
Well, you just taught me something. I would have sworn that Alabama would honor your Virginia permit. I'd have been wrong.

Of course, I will also tell you that most LEOs here wouldn't say a word since you do have a valid Virginia permit.
Virginia does not honor Alabama's permit as Alabama's requirement for a permit does not meet Virginia's requirements. Unfortunately there is no reciprocity with Virginia.

Detour

imported post

Dianosis wrote:
I was just curious if anyone rides an if they ever did it carrying openly. I drive my Buell quite often an would love to OC while riding. Talk about freedom! Anyone have thoughts, comments, stories?

This is what I found in the Alabama code Section

Section 13A-1-2 — Definitions

(15) VEHICLE. Any "propelled vehicle," as defined in subdivision (9) of Section 13A-8-1. The term includes any propelled device by which any person or property is transported on land, water, or in the air, and includes motor vehicles, motorcycles, motorboats, and aircraft, and any vessel, whether propelled by machinery or not.

I guess that means you need a permit to carry even for a motorcycle. or at least thats how I read it.

AL Ranger

imported post

I carried openly when I lived in Virginia but I haven't had a bike in Alabama so I can't speak about here but I would have no problem OCing here.

FedFirefighter

imported post

Well, as you know since we have met before, I use my motorcyle as my main transportation, and OC while riding 90% of the time unless cold weather makes it more convienent to conceal. From what I've read, you do need a permit on a bike, but it is alot more comfortable to OC. I haven't had any problems at all doing so. I was curious about my insurance covering my new thousand dollar pistol though if I were to have an accident and slide it down the pavement under me? :cuss:

Dianosis

imported post

Since originally posting this back on Jan 27th, 2009, I have OC'd a few time on my motorcycle, using my Beretta Px4 Storm in a Fobus paddle holster. It felt secure and had no problems, but like FedFF I worry what'd happen if I went down. Would it get all scrapped up or go flying somewhere I'd never find it.

*Note: Isn't sad we are more worried what'd happen to our guns then how WE would be if we went down lol. :quirky

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

If you are on your Harley with a pistol on your side and get pulled over because the officer can see it (anti-open carry Leo), can you ignore his questions directed towards the weapon? It is considered "concealed" when on a motorcycle, so all you have to say is, "officer, it's concealed. You can't see it."

Obviously, you would be being sarcastic, but under the law, the gun "disappears" when on a motorcycle. So can you pretend the officer can't see it and ignore him on the matter?

dixieborn

imported post

Not to be a pain in the butt and split hairs here... but the statute actually states the two as separate instances: "in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person."

So just because you're on/in the vehicle doesn't make it legally considered concealed... but hey, I agree, funny concept! Don't think I'll try it...

Possmo

imported post

I just started open carrying this month. But, I ride a scooterand mytrips can take me into Phenix City as it's about four miles away. I keep a Muvi Micro DV camcorder on the front of my helmet and people seem to double take the scooter before they notice the gun. No negative reactions yet tho.

Edit...that's not me...just grabbed it off the web. :)

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

I've been OC'ing quite a bit in the last two weeks on my Yamaha Virago. Trying to resist, because I don't have insurance on it, but sometimes you just lookout the door and you have to ride.

Possmo

imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
I've been OC'ing quite a bit in the last two weeks on my Yamaha Virago. Trying to resist, because I don't have insurance on it, but sometimes you just lookout the door and you have to ride.
I know how you feel. My first ride was two weeks ago because I was procrastinating taxes/registration fees.