• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just found this

al_raff

imported post

9.04.190 Firearms. No person shall, at any time, bring into or upon the properties of the county, nor have in their possession, nor discharge a revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow, crossbow, slingshot, spring or gas propelled b-b and pellet guns, spears or javelins, or any other weapon, except in designated target range areas. (Ord. 1976-05-43 (part), 1976)

This is a code for Clark county parks that I just ran across and thought I would send a e-mail. I would like to get some help on this can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks,

Al

al_raff

imported post

I have been looking for the RCW to quote but as of yet I have not found it I will follow up later today with this, I have to run for now ( got a Meeting) but will follow this up tonite. Thanks in advance

al_raff

imported post

Thanks NavyLT,

I knew if I asked someone on this great site would give me a hand, I did use your letter and just reworded it. Now I'm off to look at the City of Vancouver's laws and see if we can get them in compliance.

Al

p.s. Here's a copy of what I sent hope its up to par.

Commissioners,

Please be advised that Clark County Code 9.04.190 regarding the possession of firearms in Clark County parks appears to be unenforceable and repealed by RCW 9.41.290. While the county may enact laws restricting the DISCHARGE of firearms in accordance with RCW 9.41.300 (2)(a), a county may only restrict the POSSESSION of firearms in a stadium or convention center operated by the county; and, further, any such restriction would not apply to concealed pistol license holders.

I would request that the Board of Commissioners please consider rewording of CCC 9.04.190 in order to conform to Revised Code of Washington 9.41.290 and 300. I would appreciate notification of the Board's considerations and results thereof, if possible. The applicable sections of the codes sited above are reproduced below for convenience.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,
Very Respectfully,
Name
Address

Phone Number

RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.
The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

9.04.190 Firearms. No person shall, at any time, bring into or upon the properties of the county, nor have in their possession, nor discharge a revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow, crossbow, slingshot, spring or gas propelled b-b and pellet guns, spears or javelins, or any other weapon, except in designated target range areas. (Ord. 1976-05-43 (part), 1976)

dt

imported post

We got Parks & Recreation to change the posted rules on the website a while back... but no specific commit. to change the signs or code. That was Vancouver Parks & Recreation, but I think they are sort of all rolled together into one agency. Or something like that.

I can PM you the contact if you like...