Thread: louisiana rs 14:94.1 where can I find it

Post imported post

If you look at the attorney generals opinion he states ."parishes and municipalties may not enact ordinances that prohibit the carrying of handguns" as provided by louisiana rs 14:94.1 where can I find that statute other than the letter I tried looking for 14:94.1 on the louisiana government site and it jumps from 14:94 to 14:95. I received a letter back from the state police public.affairs office and they said it is legal to open carry but a parish may have laws against it

Post imported post

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78738

This is all I could find. Are you sure it's RS 14:94.1?

Post imported post

if you look at the letter from the attorney general his opinion at the beginning cites 14:94.1 which he says parishes and municipalitys have no say over state law because of louisiana rs 14:94.1

Post imported post

Yeah, I read that. But I can't find that cite anywhere but in that letter. It sounds like it's supposed to be a reference to the preemption law RS 40:1796?

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97860

Post imported post

that looks like that's it thanks I am going to forward that link to the person who I received the email from
    thanks

I know this post is way old, but I found this: To enact R.S. 14:94.1

http://www.legis.state.la.us/leg_doc...T/0000DTQQ.PDF

Regular Session, 1999
    HOUSE BILL NO. 1436
    BY REPRESENTATIVE MURRAY

Line 7 (A.) has me scratching my head Kinda hard to believe that would be signed into law....at least worded like that. It reads:

A. It shall be illegal for any person to possess any type of firearm unless the firearm has a device which makes the firearm useable only by the lawful owner of the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by l_____l View Post

Regular Session, 1999
    HOUSE BILL NO. 1436
    BY REPRESENTATIVE MURRAY

Line 7 (A.) has me scratching my head Kinda hard to believe that would be signed into law....at least worded like that. It reads:

A. It shall be illegal for any person to possess any type of firearm unless the firearm has a device which makes the firearm useable only by the lawful owner of the firearm.
    Never made it out of committee.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Regular Session, 1999
    HOUSE BILL NO. 1436
    BY REPRESENTATIVE MURRAY

Would have been like having to wear a special decoder ring to make the gun fire - so when your wife or gf was threatened, she could use your gun.

BTW - Welcome to OCDO l_____l Pray tell please, how do you pronounce your screen name?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Would have been like having to wear a special decoder ring to make the gun fire - so when your wife or gf was threatened, she could use your gun.

BTW - Welcome to OCDO l_____l Pray tell please, how do you pronounce your screen name?
    Hello all....good to know it never made it out of committee! It's a shame a tree had to sacrifice it's life for the dumb wording that was written in that part of the House Bill. Although I do actually remember a gun manufacturer (forgot which one) that tried to market a safety feature that I believe was magnetically operated, where the owner wore a ring on the gun hand that when on the grip would deactivate that safety. I think it went over like a LeAd zEppLiN May have been an aftermarket.....I forget.....like the ring that would probably be forgotten at home on the wrong day

Anyhow, small world Grapeshot. I too am from the Commonwealth of Virginia! Born at what is now called Retreat Hospital and 1st residence was in the 2200 block of Grove Ave. in "The Fan". As for my name l_____l ...it's like call me anything you want but late for dinner Actually, name here is Pace.

Take care

Laws get renumbered sometimes. I think the provision you're looking for is currently in RS 40:1796.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=97860

Edit: Just like 99vengeur said a couple years ahead of me...
    Last edited by Seigi; 11-07-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Hello all....good to know it never made it out of committee! It's a shame a tree had to sacrifice it's life for the dumb wording that was written in that part of the House Bill. Although I do actually remember a gun manufacturer (forgot which one) that tried to market a safety feature that I believe was magnetically operated, where the owner wore a ring on the gun hand that when on the grip would deactivate that safety. I think it went over like a LeAd zEppLiN May have been an aftermarket.....I forget.....like the ring that would probably be forgotten at home on the wrong day

Anyhow, small world Grapeshot. I too am from the Commonwealth of Virginia! Born at what is now called Retreat Hospital and 1st residence was in the 2200 block of Grove Ave. in "The Fan". As for my name l_____l ...it's like call me anything you want but late for dinner Actually, name here is Pace.

Take care
    We have a number of ex-Virginians in Louisiana now.

Check out LOCAL when you get a chance, great group of guns rights activists in your state.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

We have a number of ex-Virginians in Louisiana now.

Check out LOCAL when you get a chance, great group of guns rights activists in your state.
    Which makes me wonder... what do so many (ex-)Virginians see in Louisiana that they like?

P.S. born and raised in the New Orleans area, so I am allowed to poke fun at my home state.

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    Which makes me wonder... what do so many (ex-)Virginians see in Louisiana that they like?

P.S. born and raised in the New Orleans area, so I am allowed to poke fun at my home state.
    Right back atcha -

We find 'em, train 'em and send them down there to spread the good word!

I's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.

Right back atcha -

We find 'em, train 'em and send them down there to spread the good word!

I's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
    Good greif. We need more like the VCDL guys to come down and help fight the good fight. Several of us have been working hard on educating the public and, frankly, are starting to feel tired and frustrated. I remember when we had our first LOCAL meeting in LaPlace at the Shoneys. We were looking around the meeting room saying, "Well this will do for now but soon we are going to out grow this space." A couple years later and we are lucky to get 10 people to make it to a meeting. Speedy is trying to arrange another Shreveport meetup soon. LOCAL is still pretty small. We probably have a couple dozen paid members throughout the entire state. It would be great to grow and be able to do more.

For ME, I was returning home. I was born in Texas but moved to Louisiana before the age of 5 and it has been home ever since.

Louisiana offers great hunting, Fishing and pretty good gun laws overall. We have a lot of real good, friendly people here and some of the best food you will ever put in your mouth! Our politics are... well, let's say "entertaining" and leave it at that.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Good greif. We need more like the VCDL guys to come down and help fight the good fight. Several of us have been working hard on educating the public and, frankly, are starting to feel tired and frustrated. I remember when we had our first LOCAL meeting in LaPlace at the Shoneys. We were looking around the meeting room saying, "Well this will do for now but soon we are going to out grow this space." A couple years later and we are lucky to get 10 people to make it to a meeting. Speedy is trying to arrange another Shreveport meetup soon. LOCAL is still pretty small. We probably have a couple dozen paid members throughout the entire state. It would be great to grow and be able to do more.
    VCDL was originally founded in Oct. of 1994 as the Northern Virginia Defense League and was more regional in scope - that was 17 years ago. That's quite a bit of a head start! Don't be so discouraged and hard on yourself. Some things take time - generate publicity. I have long advocated that there is no such thing as bad publicity. Do you do anything like the Va-Alert or Defender? Speedy can tell you about them.

Have you considered family memberships? Reduced rate for the spouse and for $5-10 more all minor children - might generate some increased membership numbers. Become very visible to your legislators, the media and the general public. The more visible exposure you have, the more the membership will grow, albeit slowly at first. It will pick up - smile a lot and have fun too.

Keep a seat available for me in about 8 years when I retire, the wife and I will be moving to the Baton Rouge area then. I be happy to take my 2nd Amendment rights and transfer them from Michigan down to Louisiana

Lived in New Orleans for 4 years in the 80 and its still home for me. Only moved back to Michigan because of a divorce. Never moved back because the NEW wife parents were still alive and she was extremely attached to them. Now that they are gone, only thing keeping us up here is her job and retirement!

see ya in 2019!!!!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Grapeshot,
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. We are super busy down here at the moment. Work on the webpage is happening, I'm working on a rewrite of our trifold pamphlet and we are going to have an informational table set up at, not a gunshow...nope, a PowWow. Yep, a real Native American Powwow. We ran into the La Indian Heratage Associaton having it's meeting at the Shoneys on the same night we were meeting there. I handed out some trifolds, introductions were made and next thing you know we have an offer to put a table at their event. WOOHOO. Elections are coming up and we are busy with other projects to include mailers to new heads of Law Enforcement agencies and other groups. Busy Busy.
    Onnie, we will be here if at all possible. Hopefully a lot bigger and busier. We'll save a place at the table for you. Also, I just noticed in your Sig line your mention of playing a Klingon at Unversal. I'm a ST fan and even closlely follow the fan films that James Cawley and his group have been putting out titled Star Trek: New Voyages (<-Google it). It would be nice to have another Treker in the group.

More to come very soon. Stay tuned.

Steve Raacke,
    LOCAL Secretary
    Last edited by sraacke; 11-05-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Grapeshot,
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. We are super busy down here at the moment. Work on the webpage is happening, I'm working on a rewrite of our trifold pamphlet and we are going to have an informational table set up at, not a gunshow...nope, a PowWow. Yep, a real Native American Powwow. We ran into the La Indian Heratage Associaton having it's meeting at the Shoneys on the same night we were meeting there. I handed out some trifolds, introductions were made and next thing you know we have an offer to put a table at their event. WOOHOO. Elections are coming up and we are busy with other projects to include mailers to new heads of Law Enforcement agencies and other groups. Busy Busy.
    Onnie, we will be here if at all possible. Hopefully a lot bigger and busier. We'll save a place at the table for you. Also, I just noticed in your Sig line your mention of playing a Klingon at Unversal. I'm a ST fan and even closlely follow the fan films that James Cawley and his group have been putting out titled Star Trek: New Voyages (<-Google it). It would be nice to have another Treker in the group.

More to come very soon. Stay tuned.

Steve Raacke,
    LOCAL Secretary
    Makes me sorry I missed the meeting! Isn't it ironic that when so many in the gun community want to call us Ocers "cowboys," that it's the Indians who are being most friendly to us?

XD-Gem, Sorry you couldn't make the meeting. The minutes are posted in the Members section along with this thread detailing our meeting of the LIHA group and efforts to get ready to attend their powwow-> http://laopencarry.freeforums.org/lo...wwow-t954.html
    I discussed my interest in Star Trek and other fan films in this thread-> http://laopencarry.freeforums.org/st...ries-t957.html
    Elections are coming up. I hope to see you at the next meeting.