• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan coming to visit Son in Portland Oregon

LaVere

imported post

I find it sad and angery. That I'm coming to visit and I have to leave my guns at home.

I have a Michigan CPL/CCW. And Michigan has open carry no license needed 18 year and older. Provided you can have a gun. (Read no felonies ). We also have a state preemption law. That is enforced by the state. Some local cities, parks and county parks et al have tried to pass no gun laws and have been slapped down. Well sometime we have to remind them :p But the law is clearly on the state/our side and proven several times recently in court.

I think working at the state level would be the way to go for CCW and preemption law. How can anyone keep track of this city has this law next city has another law.
It is just hard enough to keep track of State laws.

I love your state I'll come and leave money and return to Michigan. :D

Orygunner

imported post

No, you can bring your guns, you just can't carry them LOADED within the city of Portland (and a few other Oregon cities and towns) without an Oregon CHL.

Of course, what goodis an unloaded gun besides a well-machined bludgeoning device?

Even though they're allowed by ORS 166.173, I don't see how these city bans on loaded firearms in public places could possibly stand up against our state Constitution, Section 1 Article 27:

Section 27. Right to bear arms; military subordinate to civil power. The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defence [sic] of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power[.]

How can one defend themselves with an UNLOADED firearm?

...Orygunner...

LanceOregon

imported post

LaVere wrote:
I find it sad and angery. That I'm coming to visit and I have to leave my guns at home.

I have a Michigan CPL/CCW. And Michigan has open carry no license needed 18 year and older. Provided you can have a gun. (Read no felonies ). We also have a state preemption law. That is enforced by the state. Some local cities, parks and county parks et al have tried to pass no gun laws and have been slapped down. Well sometime we have to remind them :p But the law is clearly on the state/our side and proven several times recently in court.

I think working at the state level would be the way to go for CCW and preemption law. How can anyone keep track of this city has this law next city has another law.

All you say may be true, but at least Portland has a Mayor that has sex with teenage interns working at the State Legislature. I doubt you have anything at all like that in Michigan.

Oops, I forgot that Detroit is in Michigan!! Strike my earlier comment.

You will feel right at home here! :celebrate

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LaVere,

You're exactly one of the cases I need to file against an Oregon Sheriff for refusing to issue a CHL to a non-contigious resident.

LaVere

imported post

Email from my son stated that I can bring my gun to Portland, Or and I cna give or sell it to him one on one with no problems. Then it is up to him to register it if it needs to be registered in Or. No FFL needed as it is a person to person sale. Does this sound correct. Where can I call to get correct infromation.

Cremator75

imported post

I can't cite it now, but I read in the OR law some where that FTF sales were legal including gifts to family members as long as they were aloud to own the gun.

Gray Peterson

imported post

NavyLT is correct. You must comply with both Federal Law and Oregon law both at the same time in order to not be guilty of a felony offense.

Orygunner

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
NavyLT is correct. You must comply with both Federal Law and Oregon law both at the same time in order to not be guilty of a felony offense.

Let me add to that:

You must comply with both Federal Law and Oregon Law both at the same time and not get caught in order to not be guilty of this unconstitutional, victimless crime.

I am not a lawyer, but I'll tell you what I personally would do. I'd give him the gun, never mention to anyone where it went, and he never mentions where it came from.

There's no registration or licensing in Oregon, and Oregon law has no restriction that I can find on private transfers or sales as long as the receiving party is legally allowed to own and possess a firearm. All you would be running afoul of is Federal law, and as far as I'm concerned, just because it's a crime, doesn't mean it's wrong.

And you both have the right to remain silent if asked "Where did he get that firearm?"

...It's only wrong if it interferes with someone elses rights, and it's only illegal if you get caught, IMHO... ;)
...Orygunner...

LaVere

imported post

LanceOregon wrote:
LaVere wrote:

All you say may be true, but at least Portland has a Mayor that has sex with teenage interns working at the State Legislature. I doubt you have anything at all like that in Michigan.

Oops, I forgot that Detroit is in Michigan!! Strike my earlier comment.

You will feel right at home here! :celebrate

Detroit is not a part of Michigan

People north of the red line say Michigan is north of the red line.
Most of people say Michigan is really north of the blue line.
UPPERS pronounced "U-pers" long U sound Say nothing south of the
green line is Michigan.

We all agree that in all zones there are pockets Michigan in Counties, cities, villages or just cross roads areas.

Michigan humor :D

3249818993_abafea822e.jpg

Is Portland a part of Oregon or California? :D

I just heard on the news the EX Mayor is out of jail today. Oh good now he can run for Senator

Gray Peterson

imported post

Spending $60 or so total on shipping, or just $30 or so for an FFL transfer dealer in Portland, is better than defending yourself on a federal felony charge costing you thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars and if you lose, nothing short of a presidential pardon to get you your gun rights back.

Orygunner

imported post

I resent being required to ask permission from the government (background check) or paying someone else money just for me to exercise my inalienable right to keep and bear arms.

If you want to bow down to those that would be tyrants, go ahead and go through an FFL for the transfer. Why take the risk of being fined & imprisoned for just giving your son a firearm?

If you want to exercise your rights as a free man, go give him the gun and then you and him both keep your mouths shut about where it came from and where it went.

I wonder what the legal ramifications would be if you "lost" the firearm while visiting your son and then he "found" it?

...The preceeding is not legal advice, only a personal opinion...
...Orygunner...

Orygunner

imported post

Lonnie, why do I get the mental picture that you're the angel sitting on one of LaVerve's shoulders, and I'm the devil sitting on the other? :D

...Orygunner...

Gray Peterson

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Lonnie, why do I get the mental picture that you're the angel sitting on one of LaVerve's shoulders, and I'm the devil sitting on the other? :D

...Orygunner...
Speak of the devil, I had the same thought.

KBCraig

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:

Let me add to that:

You must comply with both Federal Law and Oregon Law both at the same time and not get caught in order to not be guilty of this unconstitutional, victimless crime.

I am not a lawyer, but I'll tell you what I personally would do. I'd give him the gun, never mention to anyone where it went, and he never mentions where it came from.

There's no registration or licensing in Oregon, and Oregon law has no restriction that I can find on private transfers or sales as long as the receiving party is legally allowed to own and possess a firearm.
The problem is that Michigan does have de facto registration, in the form of the "safety check". If Dad bought the gun new from a Michigan FFL, it would take about 30 minutes of investigation to build a reasonable case that he unlawfully performed an interstate transfer to Son in Oregon.

If the gun was bought used from an FFL, it's unlikely that it could be effectively traced. If it was bought used from a private party, it couldn't be traced at all.

It would take a bizarre sequence of events to put the interstate transfer into question, but stranger things have happened.