• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marine Amputee Acquitted On Gun Possession Charges

Repeater

imported post

Marine Amputee Acquitted On Gun Possession Charges

After being deadlocked twice, a D.C. Superior Court jury yesterday acquitted a Marine amputee on felony charges of gun possession stemming from an arrest while he was on the way to Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

In the 2006 incident, Cpl. Melroy H. Cort, 24, and his wife, Samantha, were en route from their home in Columbus, Ohio, to Walter Reed. Cort's legs had been amputated above the knees when he was wounded by a makeshift bomb in Ramadi during his third tour of duty in Iraq.

The couple's car got a flat tire, forcing them to pull over at a car repair shop in the 5000 block of Georgia Avenue NW. While there, Cort said, he reached into the glove compartment, removed a 9mm pistol and put it in his jacket pocket.

A witness who noticed Cort handling the gun called police, who arrested and handcuffed Cort while he was sitting in his wheelchair. He was charged with three counts of carrying a pistol without a license, possession of an unregistered firearm and possession of ammunition. He spent the night in the D.C. jail before returning to Walter Reed.

He was assigned a public defender, who encouraged him to plead guilty. But Cort refused, because a felony on his record could cost him his military benefits. So he decided to represent himself.

"I had to fight for myself," he said yesterday. "I wasn't going to plead guilty and lose everything."

During his trial, which began Friday before Judge Lynn Leibovitz, the two arresting officers testified that Cort had thrown up his hands and told them he had a gun in his pocket when they approached him.

Cort, who said he had a permit to carry the gun in Ohio, said he had it with him because he had moved out of his house in anticipation of an extended stay at Walter Reed.

He said his commanding officer had advised him to take the gun to the armory on Walter Reed's base as soon as he arrived.

Cort said 12 rounds of ammunition were in his car trunk, but police said the ammunition was in the gun's clip.

Although acquitting him of the gun charges, the jury found Cort guilty of possessing ammunition, a misdemeanor. He was sentenced to time already spent in the D.C. jail

tito887

imported post

Is this the type of case that should be taken to an appeals court? He does have a carry permit that is state issued. Or does he have to be convicted of the crime of possession?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tito887 wrote:
Is this the type of case that should be taken to an appeals court? He does have a carry permit that is state issued. Or does he have to be convicted of the crime of possession?

I think we are better off grinding our teeth at the prosecution's three trials and the conviction. Better than giving the government more opportunity to consider expanding its power into being able to overturn a jury verdict.

Unless there was a procedural violation by the government, I'm guessing we're all better off letting this one lie, and continuingto work to recoverrights that were stolen.

suntzu

imported post

It should be a felony to be a politician, or a gun hating liberal who hides behind everyone else and depend on others for their protection and for their freedom--those "people" who think that by stripping the people of their rights and turning them into victims that they are making society safer should all be parachuted into Iraq or Waziristan along the Afghan/Pakistan border and given a gun and told to fight for their freedom and that a plane would be back in 18 months for them.

KBCraig

imported post

FOPA could apply, depending on the circumstances. He was en route from one location where he was authorized to have the gun (Ohio), to another (Walter Reed).

FOPA wouldn't apply if the gun were loaded, but there are conflicting statements about that. There is also the question of it not being in a locked case short of the destination, which could be answered under the doctrine of competing harms: the risk of having it stolen from the car would be a greater harm than breaking the law against posession.