• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying to job interview?

Walleye

imported post

OK, so at the end of the week I have a job interview coming up - suit and tie time, best behavior, etc. but with one hesitation - do I carry my sidearm with me, or lock it up?

Yeah, I know the chances of getting shot at during that period are slim, but I'd just as soon not take the risk. I will almost certainly be carrying concealed up til maybe lunch time due to wearing the suit, etc.

So, assuming it's legal to carry into the building (it may not be), do I want to risk a potential employer knowing about it and lock it up, or do I bite the bullet and be honest about it?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Walleye wrote:
OK, so at the end of the week I have a job interview coming up - suit and tie time, best behavior, etc. but with one hesitation - do I carry my sidearm with me, or lock it up?

Yeah, I know the chances of getting shot at during that period are slim, but I'd just as soon not take the risk. I will almost certainly be carrying concealed up til maybe lunch time due to wearing the suit, etc.

So, assuming it's legal to carry into the building (it may not be), do I want to risk a potential employer knowing about it and lock it up, or do I bite the bullet and be honest about it?

Is this interview at a location listed under 21-4201?

If it is not listed and is not posted per K.S.A. 75-7c10 and not prohibited per federal law, then you should be OK with CC.

Disclaimer: IANAL

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf

ETA: Good luck with your job interview...I could use a few of those right now.

bobcat

imported post

These are times when it may bethe better part of valorto just deep conceal your BUG and leave your regular rig locked in a compartment inside your locked vehicle. You can resume std carry when done with the interview...

That way you are free to remove your coat without your expressed concern for exposing one of your self defense methods...

And discretely finding out your potential employer's position firearms would be most advisable...

my .02

bugly

imported post

I have found that many employers will welcome a new employee that can present a concealed weapons license, for one thing, it proves you have no criminal record, as you've had a FBI background check, and second, it proves you are honest and up-front. They're going to ask you for a copy of your State ID and SSN, so show 'em your CPL too. If they don't accept your application, do you really want to work for someone like that?

Walleye

imported post

@RollTideXD

I wish I'd thought to make a mention of that when I talked to the potential employer on the phone, but phone communications are a pain in the butt for me; I'm expecting to get into contact with him by e-mail so maybe I can bring it up then.

@SpringerXDacp

I still have to find out if the location is posted or not. The job is not state or federal, and it would involve security systems, so I'm not sure how they feel about carrying.

The last few jobs I applied for I didn't even get interviewed for, so I was fortunate to even get one this time around. It's not a sure thing yet, but thanks for the support.

@bobcat

Yeah, about that BUG thing... I only have two pistols, and neither are BUG-capable. :uhoh:
The only choices are sidearm or not, hence the dilemma.

@bugly

This is strictly a small business with very few people working for them, and no application has been sent yet. I'd like to get on the subject but there's no sure footing either way.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Walleye,

It probably depends on how bad you need this specific job. You won't know how the company and / or the interviewers feel about firearms until well into the interview. Carrying could very well put you in the 'do not call back' list and you will never know it. The firearm may not even be their stated reason for declining to offer you a job, especially if the company has no formal policy but the interviewer feels uneasy around firearms. For example, the company that I am working a contract at right now has no formal policy against carrying, but I know that if certain people saw me here carrying I would be released almost immediately. So, I conceal in and out of the building and lock the firearm up inside my office.

I also have a job interview this week, and I will not be carrying into the interview. I'll be leaving it in the car. There are too many people that view firearms with trepidation due to ignorance and brainwashing for me to risk not getting the offer over carrying. Regardless of the formal policy, I will continue to conceal / deep conceal if I get the job.

I would also be hesitant about showing your CPL. Most people don't have any idea what it takes to get a permit, and until you have a relationship with everyone and they know what a stable, good person you are, it may invite those less educated about firearms to be apprehensive about you working there.

Of course, if you know the interviewer / owner, and they are shooting buddies, all this is moot. :D

Good luck with the interview.

Regards,

Pol

bugly

imported post

Walleye wrote:
@RollTideXD

I wish I'd thought to make a mention of that when I talked to the potential employer on the phone, but phone communications are a pain in the butt for me; I'm expecting to get into contact with him by e-mail so maybe I can bring it up then.

@SpringerXDacp

I still have to find out if the location is posted or not. The job is not state or federal, and it would involve security systems, so I'm not sure how they feel about carrying.

The last few jobs I applied for I didn't even get interviewed for, so I was fortunate to even get one this time around. It's not a sure thing yet, but thanks for the support.

@bobcat

Yeah, about that BUG thing... I only have two pistols, and neither are BUG-capable. :uhoh:
The only choices are sidearm or not, hence the dilemma.

@bugly

This is strictly a small business with very few people working for them, and no application has been sent yet. I'd like to get on the subject but there's no sure footing either way.

I also work for a very small company. I used to work for a warehousing comp. that forbid carrying, but also had a lot of criminal activity internally... hmmmm.

The company I work for now didn't even take an app. from me, I was hired on my reputation. Funny enough, my employer is pro-gun, carries a glock and has no problem with the "added security" built in by my carrying to work.

Good luck on the job, man. Hope it comes to ya.

Walleye

imported post

Thanks for the comments everyone, I think for this instance I'll just have to run the risk of getting mugged to and from the interview. Getting a job now is hard and I can't afford to miss an opportunity regardless of the employers' point of view.

r6-rider

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Getting a job now is hard and I can't afford to miss an opportunity regardless of the employers' point of view.
you ever consider joining the army... i promise they wont turn you away for wanting to carry a gun;)

Walleye

imported post

Yeah, about that... The Army kinda said something about being deaf as a instant disqualification for service. I tried to convince them that artillery would be ideal for me but they would have none of that. :cry:

:uhoh:

Dustin

imported post

RollTideXD wrote:
I would try tofind out how the employer feels about firearms first, but plan on leaving it in your car, at least for the interview.

+1

I work to provide my family with food on their plates. Sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles.

Having it in the car should suffice.

r6-rider

imported post

LOL too bad i dont work at meps, id almost have to let you in if you said you were going artillery but couldnt hear. thatd be a blessing

Walleye

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
LOL too bad i dont work at meps, id almost have to let you in if you said you were going artillery but couldnt hear. thatd be a blessing
I've talked to a few guys who are in or have been in the military, and they all agree that if I got in, it'd be either tanks or artillery for me.

:lol:

True story though, my grandfather was hard of hearing but managed to pass the physical and boot camp during WW2.

bugly

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
r6-rider wrote:
Walleye wrote:
Getting a job now is hard and I can't afford to miss an opportunity regardless of the employers' point of view.
you ever consider joining the army... i promise they wont turn you away for wanting to carry a gun;)
Actually, they might. It's against a local Army regulation for any Army personnel stationed in Alaska to carry a concealed handgun off duty, anywhere in Alaska. The Army required me to carry in Iraq -- Barney Fife style, gun in holster, ammo in pocket. :banghead:
man, the military has changed since i was in, we were required to carry 24/7 @ my last duty station and it was cocked and locked, even in civ. clothes as long as we were on post (Pan-Mun-Jom, Korea).

Walleye

imported post

My plan was to CC if possible but that's still a risk due to printing, flashing, etc.

I went to the interview unarmed although I still had my holster on my belt. I don't think I'll be getting the job though as they were looking for someone with a different skill set.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Walleye wrote:
My plan was to CC if possible but that's still a risk due to printing, flashing, etc.

I went to the interview unarmed although I still had my holster on my belt. I don't think I'll be getting the job though as they were looking for someone with a different skill set.

Let me guess, they wanted someone that could hear really good.

I'm one of the luckiest peckerwoods here, probably. My employer is a C&R holder and has a large collection of WWI/II small arms. When he and his wife areaway, I'm the armed security. And when they are both here, we're all the armed security.

You might say that my job sitewould beextremely hazardous to a criminals health. :D

Walleye

imported post

They were looking for someone to mount security cameras and that sort of thing; I could do it but it's not what I'm looking for - I spent the last two years learning how to build and maintain networks. Of course, this isn't a time to be picky about the job market, but I really doubt they need me there, regardless of what I'll be doing.