• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First day Oc'ing

Jarod44588

imported post

Today was the first day i decided to OC after getting my new handgun. Im 18 so i was kinda nervous about what people would think about a teenager carrying a firearm. So wheni finally got the grapes to walk into a store, i went into Big lots for some batteries. As soon as i walked in the clerk at the counter kinda glanced at me then just continued with her customer. After about 10 minutes of trying to find a pack of AA's, i went to check out. No one i walked by even gave me a second glance. The lady at the counter saw what i was packing, not a word about it. SHe was exceptionally friendly, we joked around the credit card thing being all colour coded, then i left. From there i went to taco bell, and after nearly getting hit by a truck who decided to blow a stop sign, i parked and went inside. The man at the counter looked to be in early 20's noticed my gun, and said "is that a .38 on your hip"? I proceeded by telling him it was a 9mm, and that im not aware of any automatic being in the .38 caliber. (im sure somone will correct me, but ive never heard of one) so i ordered, got my food, then left. My next stop was the glorious wal mart. I had a craving for doughnuts so i went to get a few things. As i walked around no one even bothered to look down other than 3 (who i presume are little gangster fellows) looked down and sorta migrated toward the exit, haha. As i was checking out the cashier (in her 60's or 70's) looks at my sidearm, and she looked very intimidated, now im not a scary looking guy, not big or buff or anything, so im sure that she was nervous about the gun. I just gave her my items, scanned my card, and she said thank you, i said thank you, end of that. On my way home i decided to go to Big 5 sporting goods. So as i walk in guess who i see? the SAME EXACT 3 "gangster thugs" as i saw in wal mart. A true kodak moment when they saw me. I walked to the firearms section, looked at some decent rifles, then walked towards the exit (the guns are the only reason i even go in that store) and as im passing the clothing a man about 65 or so, stares me down like no other. I mean this guy had some kind of tracking mechanism inside his eyeballs or something. So i leave and proceed to mi casa. An all around great experience.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, you are going to be corrected. :p

There are a few 1911 style models chambered for .38 Super. May be some others style semi-auto's in .38 caliper.

Next time you run into someone like the old timer that stared at you, simply nod to them, smile,and say, "Good day to you, Sir/Madame" , and continue on. That's how it would have been done back in the days of the "Old Wild Wild West". Folks was very polite back then. ;)

Jarod44588

imported post

Oh see i learned something new. Are they hard to find or something cuz i have looked at hundreds of handguns when i was trying to find the one i have. I carry a 9mm compact so its not too scary looking (not the intended purpose anyway) And yea, i believe ill do that sometime, i wish i had some OC pamphlets or something to hand people. Gives reasons why we carry, and why more guns=more security. But untill then.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I found Colts and Kimbers in .38 Super and a S&W in .38 Spec. on gunbroker just now. They're all designed after the 1911 frame and not compact . Pricey, too. US Firearms makes a 1911 style in .38 Sup , also. still pricey.

Jarod44588

imported post

oh i just checked, found quite a few. Nice looking guns really, im glad i know more than i did before now. I bet the guy thought i was dumb, carrying a weapon and actually saying something to imply i knew what i was talking about. Oh well :?:banghead:

r6-rider

imported post

"I mean this guy had some kind of tracking mechanism inside his eyeballs or something"

i think protector said it in another thread, if people are so intimidated by weapons WHY THE **** DO THEY MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT?!?!?! honestly it doesnt make sense, "wow hes carrying a gun, im scared, i think ill go confront him about it":banghead:

lol anyways good job on bustin your cherry, it was wierd for me to carry for the first month but after that you stop caring when you get funny looks. where abouts are you?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've found that quite often people ask calibre or somethin' else about the gun and have not the foggiest idea what they're sayin'. They'll just 'parrot' somethin'.

Those who'll stare (in Arizona) are usually totally ignorant of the AZ Constitutional provisions for RTKBA.... and are generally from CA or IL... or someplace back east where they've been falsely indoctirinatedtheir entirelives.

I hadda go to a Doc the other day... 'n I'm sittin' in the waiting area with my 1911 on my hip. 'Time comesI gotta 'weigh in'... I unbuckle the gun belt 'n lay it next to the scale. Many EYEBALLS are suddenly aware that: 'That really IS a gun on his hip!"

So... I get weighed (188 lbs) w/o the gun belt... I do a quick figure of total weight... clothes, boots... 'n figure I'm at around 180. I'm 5'11" so that's good. The gunbelt gets buckled back on. My previous 'problem' is found to be cured... so off I go.... past the 'EYEBALLS' again.

Some advice... Never finger the weapon... Don't put your hands on it in public. Don't fiddle with the holster... It's just 'there'...

Jarod44588

imported post

Yeah the out-of-towners are usually the ones to cause many problems.

And i know what your saying, my holster was kinda irritating me becasue of where it was on my belt, but i knew the second i touch it im going to more than likely have an issue, so i waited till i got safely into my car. People need to really understand the difference between PULLING A GUN and ADJUSTING A BELT or HOLSTER.

Jarod44588

imported post

It really is that way. Im 18, but i seriously look like im 15 or 16. So im just waiting for my first encounter with police.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Then make damn sure that piece is OUT where it's easily observed. No question as to 'concealed' or not.

r6-rider

imported post

chances are if its obviously open, cops wont think twice about it. most cops down here are pretty smart they dont see a "guy with a gun" its a guy open carrying who doesnt care that they see it which means he probly doesnt have anything to hide

Jarod44588

imported post

I make sure that they can easily see it in the open. I wear loose shirts, so im sure to tuck my shirt in under the holster, and yeah, who is seriously going to think your up to no good openly carrying in plain view in a nice holster? Hopefully no one.

Jarod44588

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
"I mean this guy had some kind of tracking mechanism inside his eyeballs or something"

i think protector said it in another thread, if people are so intimidated by weapons WHY THE **** DO THEY MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT?!?!?! honestly it doesnt make sense, "wow hes carrying a gun, im scared, i think ill go confront him about it":banghead:

lol anyways good job on bustin your cherry, it was wierd for me to carry for the first month but after that you stop caring when you get funny looks. where abouts are you?
I am actually located in Show low. Its a fairly small town about 120 miles from phoenix.

gmalfavon1

imported post

oh my god am I gonna get some looks haha I'm 17 and gonna start carrying in a bout 4 months I could only imagine the look on peoples faces like omg this Mexican is probably up to no good let's get outta here before he decides to rob the store haha oh well just ignorant people:(

Jarod44588

imported post

You will. no doubt about it. But if people look at you wierd for carrying, which is in the constitution, they should also look at you for speaking or having your own religion.
as for me, i got some looks, you will too, but theres nothing anyone can do about it.

Jarod44588

imported post

:pwell thank you. Ive always wanted to be a LEO. I try to pay attention and give as much detail as i possibly can. :what:

Michigander

imported post

You'll find that being young will get you more attention as an OCer, but it's still not a big deal. The cops all know you're legal, so aside from once in a while getting kicked out of stores and getting funny looks and responses from some people (Californians mostly) there's no real difference between walking around OCing and not. Just do it every day, and it will become a matter of feeling naked if you aren't packin. ;)