Thread: WA To Resume Issuing Alien Firearms Licenses

Post imported post

http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=286

SAF COURT ACTION PROMPTS RESUMPTION OF WA ALIEN FIREARMS LICENSE PROGRAM For Immediate Release: 1/27/2009 BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation and National Rifle Association this week have won a preliminary injunction against the Washington State Department of Licensing that requires the state to resume processing applications by legal resident aliens for alien firearms licenses.
    The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington in Seattle also ordered that license renewals and applications sought by three individual Washington residents participating in the lawsuit also be processed. Washington is the only state in the union that requires an alien firearms license be possessed by resident aliens in order for them to have a firearm. SAF and NRA said the state law discriminates against legal resident aliens who own firearms by violating their Second Amendment rights under the equal protections affirmed by the 14th Amendment.
    “We are delighted that the court has ordered a resumption of the licensing procedure, which was suspended by the state over what amounts to bureaucratic red tape,” said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. “The State Legislature has had ample opportunity to fix what amounts to a glitch in a law that should never have existed in the first place. The people affected by the alien firearms license requirement are residents here; they are part of our community and have abided by the law.
    “One of the plaintiffs works in a Bellevue gun store,” he continued. “Without a renewal of his firearms license, he would not simply lose his firearms, he would lose his job.”
    The state stopped processing applications and renewals of alien firearms licenses because of a problem in running background checks. The result was that many resident aliens who had previously been issued licenses, and now possess firearms for sport, hunting and personal protection, could not get those licenses renewed. Upon expiration, these people would become “criminals on paper,” Gottlieb said, because they would be in possession of firearms without the license.
    “Once again, as has happened in New Orleans, San Francisco and elsewhere, teamwork between SAF and the NRA has paid off in a sensible solution to a problem that should not exist,” Gottlieb stated. “We are confident in a final judgment and we hope this sends a signal to the Washington Legislature to fix this problem.”
    The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nations oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and an amicus brief and fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.
    -END-

Post imported post

This is great news! I have several friends who are green card holders. Now the next step would be to get rid of this ridiculous AFL once and for all. No other state requires a "license" for aliens.

Post imported post

Wonderful news, finally!

- BORG

Post imported post

One more step ahead for FREEDOM
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

I let a few folks know here at work and I think they are leaving early today....LOL

Post imported post

EOD wrote:
    http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=286

SAF COURT ACTION PROMPTS RESUMPTION OF WA ALIEN FIREARMS LICENSE PROGRAM For Immediate Release
    Thats a great news!!!....I am one of the proud OCer who is going to benefit from this, I am a legal immigrant from India and practice my rights openly...:celebrate

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Satsrigal Manu....no idea if thats how you spell it welcome to the board .

Where do you live? I Have lots of Indian freinds up here in the Bellingham area. Look forward to future discussions.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

My wife is in need of a AFL (Canadian Citizen) and called the County SO. They stated that they are still unable to issue them right now, but they will be up and running next week. So it is moving along.

State Researcher

Post imported post

This is a good ruling, and it also is another ruling that establishes the 2nd with the 14th, and we need all of those we can get.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

EOD wrote:
    My wife is in need of a AFL (Canadian Citizen) and called the County SO. They stated that they are still unable to issue them right now, but they will be up and running next week. So it is moving along.
    I'm not sure what county you are in, but the King County Sheriff has been accepting AFL applications since Thursday.

I overheard the guy at the front desk say that they had 3 or 4 AFL applicant's on Thursday morning alone.

Post imported post

Good news.