Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: ban vehicles to end drunken driving

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vinton, ,
    Posts
    37

    Post imported post


    Ban vehicles to end drunken driving

    The most recent statistics on DUI
    deaths in the United States indicate
    that about 14,000 people die each
    year. This is out of control. We need
    to consider an immediate ban on all
    vehicle sales in the United States. By
    banning all vehicle sales and confis-
    cating any vehicles currently regis-
    tered, we will stop the DUI problem
    immediately. People can either walk,
    ride bikes or use public transporta-
    tion. This will also help eliminate
    our dependence on oil and eliminate
    a lot of pollution.
    If the previous statement sounds
    absurd, welcome to the world of law-
    abiding gun owners who are under
    a barrage of gun laws to limit or
    eliminate their right to legally own
    firearms.
    If you want to solve the DUI prob-
    lem, go after the drivers of vehicles,
    not the vehicles they drive. If you
    want to eliminate gun crimes, go
    after the criminals, not law-abiding
    gun-owning citizens.

    I tried to type this exactly as in the paper. Hope I didn't make any mistakes.

    I was in a hurry this morning and didn't fine it quickly so I just typed it. Anyway, this is the link from "TFred", Thanks......

    http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/192620

    Last article on page....

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    What paper did this appear in?
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  3. #3
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    And if they aren't completely banned, we need to require that all transfers of ownership be done through a licensed dealer.

  4. #4
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Good thing I will be 21 this year so I can go through an FFL

  5. #5
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Don't forget a background check.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  6. #6
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    What paper did this appear in?
    As indicated in the subtitle, the Roanoke Times.

  7. #7
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/192620

    Last letter at the bottom of the page.

    TFred


  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    It's interesting that the legislation that would allow CHP holders to carry in restaurants would require us to notify an 'authorized person,' but the restaurant will gladly serve alcohol to an entire party of adults without asking who the designated driver will be, and then think that they are fulfilling a moral obligation when they cut you off AFTER you are obviously drunk.

    Wonderful.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    1+
    I will be stealing that and sending it to my elected officials.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Agent19 wrote:
    Glock27Bill wrote:
    1+
    I will be stealing that and sending it to my elected officials.
    Don't give them any ideas.

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    doctork wrote:
    Ban vehicles to end drunken driving

    The most recent statistics on DUI
    deaths in the United States indicate
    that about 14,000 people die each
    year. This is out of control. We need
    to consider an immediate ban on all
    vehicle sales in the United States. By
    banning all vehicle sales and confis-
    cating any vehicles currently regis-
    tered, we will stop the DUI problem
    immediately. People can either walk,
    ride bikes or use public transporta-
    tion. This will also help eliminate
    our dependence on oil and eliminate
    a lot of pollution.
    If the previous statement sounds
    absurd, welcome to the world of law-
    abiding gun owners who are under
    a barrage of gun laws to limit or
    eliminate their right to legally own
    firearms.
    If you want to solve the DUI prob-
    lem, go after the drivers of vehicles,
    not the vehicles they drive. If you
    want to eliminate gun crimes, go
    after the criminals, not law-abiding
    gun-owning citizens.

    I tried to type this exactly as in the paper. Hope I didn't make any mistakes.
    Link?? if you find link, you can copy text them too.

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    doctork wrote:
    Ban vehicles to end drunken driving

    The most recent statistics on DUI
    deaths in the United States indicate
    that about 14,000 people die each
    year. This is out of control. We need
    to consider an immediate ban on all
    vehicle sales in the United States. By
    banning all vehicle sales and confis-
    cating any vehicles currently regis-
    tered, we will stop the DUI problem
    immediately. People can either walk,
    ride bikes or use public transporta-
    tion. This will also help eliminate
    our dependence on oil and eliminate
    a lot of pollution.
    If the previous statement sounds
    absurd, welcome to the world of law-
    abiding gun owners who are under
    a barrage of gun laws to limit or
    eliminate their right to legally own
    firearms.
    If you want to solve the DUI prob-
    lem, go after the drivers of vehicles,
    not the vehicles they drive. If you
    want to eliminate gun crimes, go
    after the criminals, not law-abiding
    gun-owning citizens.

    I tried to type this exactly as in the paper. Hope I didn't make any mistakes.
    Link?? if you find link, you can copy text them too.
    I posted the link a little while ago:

    TFred wrote:
    http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/192620

    Last letter at the bottom of the page.

    TFred
    It probably would be good for the OP to edit and put it in the first post.

    TFred

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    zoom6zoom wrote:
    And if they aren't completely banned, we need to require that all transfers of ownership be done through a licensed dealer.
    We already have to do that, the Highway Department or whatever it is called. We also have to register them but that hasn't really slowed down the number of wrecks caused by DUI drivers.

  14. #14
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    And, just as with firearms "registration" it doesn't guarantee that someone who is not legally permitted to own or drive a vehicle will not do so.

    I can't remember how many drivers I've witnessed in traffic court whose licenses had been suspended or revoked and drove anyway.

    CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY THE LAW.


    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  15. #15
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    And if they aren't completely banned, we need to require that all transfers of ownership be done through a licensed dealer.
    We already have to do that, the Highway Department or whatever it is called. We also have to register them but that hasn't really slowed down the number of wrecks caused by DUI drivers.
    Just a small clarification, you do not have to utilize a licensed dealer to sell/buy/trade a car. You do have to register the transaction with the DMV afterwards.

    Of course, the right to keep and drive automobiles is not protected by the Constitution.

    [Question though: I am not sure how this is handled if you "junk" the car, selling it to a junk yard or other disposal entity. Must DMV be informed of this also, even if the car is not ever to be driven again? I suppose you must inform them of the sale to remove yourself from the tax roll, but what if the buyer is "Joe down by the corner, for cash"?]

    TFred


  16. #16
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    You transfer the title to the new "owner", the junkyard.

    There is a DMV form for junking an automobile. Also titles can be branded "junk" or "parts only".
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  17. #17
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    zoom6zoom wrote:
    And if they aren't completely banned, we need to require that all transfers of ownership be done through a licensed dealer.
    We already have to do that, the Highway Department or whatever it is called. We also have to register them but that hasn't really slowed down the number of wrecks caused by DUI drivers.
    You do not have to register them or record the transfer of motor vehicles in Virginia.

    You only have to do all that if you want to drive them on public roads. If you privately buy a truck for farm use and it is never driven off the farm, you do not need to do anything at the DMV.

    This is a classic anti argument "You have to register your cars..." "You have to have a driver's license..." "...before you can drive or own a car."

    Those statements are not true. Only if you want to drive legally on public roads. Notice the word legally. Many do not drive legally or with cars that are legally registered.

    Not that car ownership and driving are one of the rights listed in the Bill of Rights, or that I think you should have to register guns to carry in public.

  18. #18
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    possumboy wrote:
    You do not have to register them or record the transfer of motor vehicles in Virginia.
    If you own a vehicle that is titled in VA and you are paying taxes on it, wouldn't you want to let the gummint know that you don't own said asset anymore and would they please stop sending you a tax bill?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  19. #19
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    possumboy wrote:
    You do not have to register them or record the transfer of motor vehicles in Virginia.
    If you own a vehicle that is titled in VA and you are paying taxes on it, wouldn't you want to let the gummint know that you don't own said asset anymore and would they please stop sending you a tax bill?

    All you have to do is provide a bill of sale to stop paying taxes. That applies to the person selling it if they had it registered. Not the person who purchased it.

    I've done this and know numerous people that have done this for farm use vehicles.

    Heck, growing up, I had a VW gardern and only the ones that went on the road were registered.


  20. #20
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    possumboy wrote:
    All you have to do is provide a bill of sale to stop paying taxes. That applies to the person selling it if they had it registered. Not the person who purchased it.
    No, I agree. The new owner doesn't have to record the registration. You do have to proactively have it removed from the rolls as being "yours".

    The person who purchased it can then do as he pleases, to be sure.

    Don't forget to tell your insurance company rep, another government-mandated racket.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  21. #21
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    It's interesting that the legislation that would allow CHP holders to carry in restaurants would require us to notify an 'authorized person,' but the restaurant will gladly serve alcohol to an entire party of adults without asking who the designated driver will be, and then think that they are fulfilling a moral obligation when they cut you off AFTER you are obviously drunk.

    Wonderful.
    Very well stated.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •