• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend Got Arrested For Illegal Possesion Of Firearm

Jaycob

imported post

My friend just got arrested Sunday for Illegal Possesion of a Firearm, Possesion Schedule 1(Weed) and a few other charges thats irrelevant. So my question is, if you have weed on you while carrying in your vehicle, would that be a charge for Illegal Possesion of a Firearm because you have weed on you. BTW This happened in Vernon Parish, I appreciate the help guys. Thanks

wrightme

imported post

My first comment would be to have your friend consult with an attorney, and for you to respect any and all disclosure instructions delivered.

With that said, your best step would be to check the relevant sections of law in Louisiana. Hopefully someone here can provide the link to LA online statutes relevant.

Here is the link: http://www.legis.state.la.us/ (if the charges are State and not Federal)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can't speak to the legality of it in LA, but in most states, possession of a firearm while committing another crime, is usually another tack-on offense.

Meaning if you shoplift, and you have a gun on you (but don't even brandish/use it), you've just aggravated your offense.

Hef

imported post

In most states, a lawfully-possessed firearm becomes illegal when the possessor also has illegal drugs or commits another crime (traffic violations excluded).

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jaycob wrote:
My friend just got arrested Sunday for Illegal Possesion of a Firearm, Possesion Schedule 1(Weed) and a few other charges thats irrelevant. So my question is, if you have weed on you while carrying in your vehicle, would that be a charge for Illegal Possesion of a Firearm because you have weed on you. BTW This happened in Vernon Parish, I appreciate the help guys. Thanks
of course the solution is notto do weed.

imported post

No, that is not the solution.
Let me condense this. When the feds wanted to prohibit alcohol, it required a constitutional amendment, as it was clearly understood congress had NO authority to do so. We all see how well that worked out.
Would you please point out the constitutional amendment allowing government to run amok with their "war on drugs?"

Dustin

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Would you please point out the constitutional amendment allowing government to run amok with their "war on drugs?"
Won't that any time soon. :cool:

Although I'm not one for doing drugs, I HATE the amount of money the government spends on trying to stop it.

sheepdog

imported post

...kinda like "homeland security"...the fear is fed...the department is created, the jobs are given out...the money is spent...and what is accomplished??? We don't get much bang for our buck...unless it's Gold Dot...and we're doing our own banging...how'd this end up for your friend and was it a tack-on charge or was he a convicted felon already?