• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling in CA

ChrisXD40

imported post

I travel into Ca several times a month, I have a Utah carry permit (I know I can't carry in Ca) What I carry is a XD 40, it came with high capicity magazines. What I am wondering is, if I buy a ten round mag would my gun be legal in Ca? Or because the gun was sold as a HC is it also illegal? I would carry it in a locked case. I just can't leave it in Nv or at home in Ut but I don't want to become a felon because of those two little HC letters. Thanks for any help.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I think you're okay with 10 round mags.
All of our magazine-fed firearms are "capable" of using "high capacity" magazines, but the law only affects the magazines themselves. So leave the mags at home and you're golden.

This is just my interpretation and it carries zero weight in court.

ChrisXD40

imported post

That was my thinking also, that it was the mags and not the gun. I looked on the DOJ website and my gun is not listed, but I'm not sure if that only pertains to being a resident and owning this gun or bringing it into CA period. Federal law says I can carry it in a locked box, but honestly CA scares the heck out of me when it comes to guns. From some things I have heard and read I think federal law takes a back seat to CA law??:lol:

Decoligny

imported post

It is indeed the magazine that is STANDARD capacity, not the gun itself.

You can bring the firearm in legally as long as the 10+ magazine stays outside the State. Buy a couple of 10 rounders and you can keep them full of ammo in the same container as the firearm, just not in the mag well and you will be over what is necessary to comply with the transport laws.

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
some of the best info i have found is by calling CA DOJ - (916) 322-3360
I think you got a wrong number. DOJ doesn't give out good info, just FUD.

+100,000,000

The DOJ will give you the kind of "accurate" information that will have you dismantling your gun, lockingit in a steel case, welding the case closed, encasing it in concrete, locking the concrete block in your trunk and thenmailing the key to Kim Jung Il in North Korea, all so you can't get at your gun.

Never take what they tell you at face value as the gospel truth.

Never take what anyone here tells you at face value as the gospel truth.

Look up that Penal Code for yourself. Study it. Ask Questions until you fully understand it, then study it some more, and then ask more questions.

The ONLY person you can count on for actual accurate information is yourself.