• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

mental health facility

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Does spending time at a mental health institution by requirement of a court or by voluntary admittance disqualify you for gun ownership or carrying?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
Does spending time at a mental health institution by requirement of a court or by voluntary admittance disqualify you for gun ownership or carrying?

That largely depends on what state you live in. I'd consult local laws.

In Michigan, if you have spent time in the past 7 years you cannot acquire a concealed carry permit, possibly a permit to purchase as well. I'm not versed in this section of the law as it doesn't apply to me or my kin.

Springfield45

imported post

In Pa,

Involuntary appointment to a mental institution for inpatient care and treatment under section 302,303, or 304 under the provisions of the act of July 9, 1976,
(P.L. 817, No. 143), Known as the Mental Health Procedures Act. - Will Disqualify
a person from legally obtaining a Handgun, or LTCF in Pennsylvania.

~~Springfield

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Springfield45 wrote:
In Pa,

Involuntary appointment to a mental institution for inpatient care and treatment under section 302,303, or 304 under the provisions of the act of July 9, 1976,
(P.L. 817, No. 143),  Known as the Mental Health Procedures Act. -  Will Disqualify
a person from legally obtaining a Handgun, or LTCF in Pennsylvania.

~~Springfield

forever?

Springfield45

imported post

Forever ...... I'm not sure if a court "expungement" could help with that or not....

But yes, otherwise, Forever. However, IANAL.

Edited for Spelling.
~~Springfield

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Springfield45 wrote:
Forever ......   I'm not sure if a court "expungement" could help with that or not....

But yes, otherwise, Forever.    However, IANAL.

Edited for Spelling.
~~Springfield

frickin lame

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
Springfield45 wrote:
Forever ...... I'm not sure if a court "expungement" could help with that or not....

But yes, otherwise, Forever. However, IANAL.

Edited for Spelling.
~~Springfield
frickin lame

Frickin' proof of the utter failure of pschiatry and psychology, too.

The government demonstratesit knows and understands this by the sort of law being discussed here.

Remember that the next time some legislator wants to use some sort of mental health screening or something in relation to guns. Or appropriate a few zillion for mental health research, programs, treat veterans, etc.

These quacks can't cure mental illness.They repeatedlyprove they don't know beans about mental illness, except to make labels.

If they knew and understoodmental illness, they would be able to cure it wouldn't they? If they cured people, you'd check in, get cured, check out, and thenget your rights almost automatically restored, wouldn't you?

(PS: Fair warning to argue-ers. I'm going to leave something out, something very, very obvious, to shoot back with in case anybody wants to argue with me. Look for it or risk embarrassment.)

Mjolnir

imported post

The government demonstratesit knows and understands this by the sort of law being discussed here.

Remember that the next time some legislator wants to use some sort of mental health screening or something in relation to guns. Or appropriate a few zillion for mental health research, programs, treat veterans, etc.

These quacks can't cure mental illness.They repeatedlyprove they don't know beans about mental illness, except to make labels.

If they knew and understoodmental illness, they would be able to cure it wouldn't they? If they cured people, you'd check in, get cured, check out, and thenget your rights almost automatically restored, wouldn't you?

(PS: Fair warning to argue-ers. I'm going to leave something out, something very, very obvious, to shoot back with in case anybody wants to argue with me. Look for it or risk embarrassment.)

Keep up the good work showing exactly how little you know and understand about the human mind.

But that is fine as without a doubt you have spent at lest 8-10 years of schooling studying and learning about the human mind and dealing with people who have mental illnesses.

Anybody who purchases a firearm of any kind and fills out the 4473 must answer with the truth and if you lie on the 4473 it is a federal offence that can land you in the federal prison system for 5 years mandatory.

Anybody committed to a mental instution willingly or un willingly can not own or posess firearms legally.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:

Keep up the good work showing exactly how little you know and understand about the human mind.

But that is fine as without a doubt you have spent at lest 8-10 years of schooling studying and learning about the human mind and dealing with people who have mental illnesses.

Anybody who purchases a firearm of any kind and fills out the 4473 must answer with the truth and if you lie on the 4473 it is a federal offence that can land you in the federal prison system for 5 years mandatory.

Anybody committed to a mental instution willingly or un willingly can not own or posess firearms legally.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the rightof the PEOPLE to keep and BEAR ARMS, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. U.S. CONSTIUTION

BILL OF RIGHTS
Denying Americans citizens the right to bear arms based of there mental status is like denying American citizens the right to freedom of speech or press, because you don't like what they have to say, or what comes out there mouth, or what they post in a magazine might offend you. I guess you have some what of a point there Mjolnir, but then the point all together gets trumped by our beautiful Bill Of Rights.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.military.com/veterans-report/committee-approves-second-amendment-legislation?ESRC=vr.nl

Thank goodness there's good people and good veteran organizations out there protecting the people who serve there country. Check the link above.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Stuter/stuter103.htm

And this one above has really good stuff in it if you read starting about half way down and read the entire article you'll be very impressed on what this article has to do with exactly and the the complete common sense it displays, hell if you have time read the entire article.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The term does not include a

person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary

admission to a mental institution.
The above quote comes from the link I'm listing right below this, you can read it for yourself halfway down the page under, it looks like the ATF is the one entering the information under the area of mental heath institutions. Ok here's the link
http://www.ttb.gov/rpd/tdatf391.htm

It seems it was last update August 25th of 1998

You guys let me know if you've found any other useful pro-info on this subject, will ya, I hope the information/research I've provided will help out some.

Mjolnir

imported post

Denying Americans citizens the right to bear arms based of there mental status is like denying American citizens the right to freedom of speech or press, because you don't like what they have to say, or what comes out there mouth, or what they post in a magazine might offend you. I guess you have some what of a point there Mjolnir, but then the point all together gets trumped by our beautiful Bill Of Rights

Obviously you have never been around mentally ill people and have no concept of what a broken mind can and is capable of.

Bi-polar off meds and manic is ugly, but not like a pissed off boarderline person or somebody with PTSD back from the war thinking they are still there.

Till you see it up close and in person you can spout all the crap you want. However, after seeing it and dealing with it you will realize that some people are not stable enough to have firearms and best of all, you would never allow them into your home to live with you.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
Denying Americans citizens the right to bear arms based of there mental status is like denying American citizens the right to freedom of speech or press, because you don't like what they have to say, or what comes out there mouth, or what they post in a magazine might offend you. I guess you have some what of a point there Mjolnir, but then the point all together gets trumped by our beautiful Bill Of Rights

Obviously you have never been around mentally ill people and have no concept of what a broken mind can and is capable of.

Bi-polar off meds and manic is ugly, but not like a pissed off boarderline person or somebody with PTSD back from the war thinking they are still there.

Till you see it up close and in person you can spout all the crap you want. However, after seeing it and dealing with it you will realize that some people are not stable enough to have firearms and best of all, you would never allow them into your home to live with you.

If these people are so unstable that they can't be trusted with a firearm, why are they trusted to live independently? Also, if not all people who are committed are that unstable, isn't it unfair for them all to be lumped together?

Also, some people want to restrict non-committed people for mental problems. Won't this merely prevent many people from seeking treatment?

Tucker6900

imported post

Im not sure how this applies elsewhere. My brother spent 12 hours ina MHI, and he has his CPL and numerous Hand and long guns.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:

I'm not talking about letting these American citizens with a mental problem live with me, even though I did live with a bipolar person for awhile while at times he forgot to take his meds. So there a little uncomfortable to be around, they shouldn't ever be denied the right to bear arms because of that.

Now I'm about to contradict myself in away, I don't believe mentally insane or crazy people who have been locked up in a asylum , padded rooms , straight jackets and all should ever own a firearm unless they was put there wrongfully by someone who knew a judge and then later on he/she was evaluated and considered fine and was wrongfully put in that place. But I'm still a very strong advocate, hence my username Mr.Advocate, and yes I do fight for peoples rights, regardless if others fill strongly against it. I don't think bipolar ,ADD,depression,ptsd,and a rather large list of other mental illnesses should follow under being banned from firearms, seriously! do you honestly fill those people so long as there on there meds and seeing a doctor on a regular basis should be denied the right to protect themselves and there families.

P.S. I don't just spout off about this kinda stuff either Mr.Mjolnir, I research it, and I research it alot, I look at both sides, the reasoning's and most of all the American citizens rights. Oh yeah, one more thing no one on this link is going to use a few mentally ill people going off the deep end to justify banning mentally ill citizens of this country the right to bear arms. I've heard alot of so called normally people, who legally pass all NIC and ATF checks and are fine and one day they just lost it and just start killing people also, so should we just start spending millions upon millions of dollars on conducting extremely obsessive mental evaluations on everyone who buys firearms, just for assumptions that one day a male/female is one day going to loose it. The answer to that is clearly no, lets try to use a little commonsense here. We are all human beings here and no one is perfect, you just live your life the best way you can, hope for the best for your family and everyone in general and thats all we as humans can really do. If you are a Christian you need to read over and pray the serenity prayer and really mean it.

Mjolnir

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
Im not sure how this applies elsewhere. My brother spent 12 hours ina MHI, and he has his CPL and numerous Hand and long guns.
Thats not the issue or against the federal law if you actually sit down and read the 4473 or what you are answering questions to.

In my home state you must go in front of a judge and court of law 3 times before getting sent to the state mental hospital & the judge cuts more people loose than they send.

For the VA to send you to a in patent treatment center here again you must go in front of a judge and be court ordered to a VA mental health center.

Nobody gives a crap if you are bi polar, have PTSD (I have PTSD according to the VA hospital) are ADD or are seeing a Psych Dr for treatment or what as long as you can matain a balance in your life and are not off your meds and unable to cope with your mental illness.

It is when you crash and burn that problems occure, when you self medicate with booze, pot or other substances that effect how you think and behave that we as a public have issues.

Researching is great fun and will fill you full of book knowledge, but till you live it you can not understand what it is truely like or how bad things can become. How many cutters have you delt with on a personal basis, how many people who have tried to kill themselves & have a mental illness have you delt with, how many victims of mental illness and destroyed family members have you personally seen and been involved with Mr advocate, till you have walked in there shooes and lived it you are out of your element and can not understand.