• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dallas County Sheriff response

HYRYSC

imported post

I am in the process of receiving my CCW, but wanted to find out about open carry in my AO so I emailed the sheriff's department to ask about it. Below is the response. I have alot of respect for them but was still a bit taken back by the response about open carry and panic. I will still be getting another response from the Prosecuting Attorney regarding the law to ensure that there is no ambiguity in the law.

"
There is nothing in the law that I know of that wouldprohibit you from open carring, unless it is posted on the establishment that you can't. However it does tend to be a problem for us in that it causes panic in some people. I would advise you to think about getting your CCW so you can carry concealed."

Richieg150

imported post

Go to a gun store and buy a police,boarder patrol,sherriff,ect............ball cap,or shirt,and there will be no panic.You can wear the hat,or shirt,you are not posing as a officer,and the panic stricken sheeple will just assume that since only officers open carry,you must be an officer and its ok.I have several different caps,and shirts,and have had people see my gun,look at my cap and just smile and go about their business.I was wearing a Boarder Patrol cap,had a local ask me if I had a license to carry my weapon,I told him that I didnt need one.He then asked me if I was Boarder Partol,I told him I purchased this cap in support of their efforts and it was the duty of every legal US citizen to protect and secure our boarders.We chatted some he asked for some id,looked at it,and told me to have a nice day................that encounter worked out ok.

Article1section23

imported post

Richieg150 wrote:
Go to a gun store and buy a police,boarder patrol,sherriff,ect............ball cap,or shirt,and there will be no panic.You can wear the hat,or shirt,you are not posing as a officer,and the panic stricken sheeple will just assume that since only officers open carry,you must be an officer and its ok.I have several different caps,and shirts,and have had people see my gun,look at my cap and just smile and go about their business.I was wearing a Boarder Patrol cap,had a local ask me if I had a license to carry my weapon,I told him that I didnt need one.He then asked me if I was Boarder Partol,I told him I purchased this cap in support of their efforts and it was the duty of every legal US citizen to protect and secure our boarders.We chatted some he asked for some id,looked at it,and told me to have a nice day................that encounter worked out ok.

Richieg,

That is great!....what department was that? Also, why did you hand over ID? Just wondering...your prerogative.

Richieg150

imported post

Wearing a shirt or ballcap,isnt pretending to be someone you arent.Does wearing any NFL teams cap, or shirtmake you a NFL player?The same thing could be said about military ship ballcaps,or any sports cap or shirt.My point was peoples perception either excites them or calms them.If I am wearing a particular cap and their perception is that since I have a Certain cap on its allright to open carry.....thats their perception.If I am ever hasseled by the mere wearing of a cap or shirt,I will be sure to quote the first amendment,then take any other action that may come of the encounter.

It was the local police department,and he did ask for my drivers license.

checkertaximan

imported post

I have looked in the missouri statues and so far cant find anything about wearing a shirt or hat stating POLICE , FBI ,ATF etc.. well question is, Is there a law against just wearing such a thing?:banghead:

Gordie

imported post

Of course not, that's what makes the case cited so bad. How many of the people wearing FBI, NYPD, NYFD, CIA, ARMY, AIR FORCE, NAVY, MARINES, and any number of other government agency/institution titles are actually attached to those agencies/institutions?

KBCraig

imported post

I regularly wear my Cardinals cap and "2006 World Champions" t-shirt.

Not once has anyone thought that I was really Albert Pujols. :p