• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading supplies

ChinChin

imported post

Other than supplies to be used IN my OC piece; this has little to do with OC so I apologize in advance.

Does anybody have a LOCAL (not online) vendor who they can recommend for all my reloading supply needs. Powders, primer mags, bullets, etc?

I'm in the FFX/Loudoun/Prince Willy region.

Marco

imported post

Guns & Ammo Warehouse in Manassas has the most supplies I've seen locally.
I wish you luck in finding one shop that carries everything you need.
There is also Clark Bros. in Warrenton.
There is also a small shop located on the Fairfax Rod and Gun club.

eyesopened

imported post

Gilberts in Lorton has some. I don't know if they have everything you need, but you can call them up to see what they have before heading over.

kle

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Gilberts in Lorton has some. I don't know if they have everything you need, but you can call them up to see what they have before heading over.
I was just in there last night looking specifically at their reloading stuff (yay for the weather keeping people off the roads + our prompt response in getting our plows and salt-trucks out there...and all of the rush-hour traffic heating up the roads).

They have a rather limited selection...a press or two (RCBS), a bunch of Lee dies ($40 for a set), a couple pounds of various powders ($30/lb), bunches of cast ($50ish for 500) and jacketed ($??? for 100) bullets bullets, some primers (Federal, CCI), other various doodads. I didn't buy any of it, since I was just scouting out their prices (I'll likely see what things are going for in a couple weeks when the Nation's Gun Show rolls into town again).

I think Guns & Ammo Warehouse would be better-stocked, but I haven't been in there for over half a year (and last time I wasn't looking into reloading stuff, either).

hsmith

imported post

Giblerts has a much better selection by far than G&A (Powder wise). But Gilberts is in the middle of no where ;)

I am getting ready to place an order on Midway (Once CCI #41 primers are back in stock).

There is also someone that comes to the gun show that can get you what you need (I don't know if a weeks notice is enough for them) - you might want to get a hold of them (Can't recall their name).

Whats your hangup with web vendors? hazmat fees? wanting to support local shops?

nova

imported post

I reload and buy all of my supplies locally. I bought cast bullets and powder from Gilberts (member price) and primers from Dawson's in woodbridge. After factoring in the cost for shipping from MidwayUSA, it was no more expensive to buy from these shops. I wouldn't hesitate to buy at G&A in manassas though, always nice to drop in and say hello to the staff.

alnitak

imported post

nova wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
According to that calc, my .38spl reloads only cost me $7.46 per 50rds, and my .357mag reloads only cost me $9.10 per 50rds. Now I remember why I started reloading...a box of factory ammo costs twice as much! :lol:
Of course, that doesn't take into account your time. My numbers are about the same, and I figure I'd use my time just watching sports anyway, so it's essentially free (though my wife doesn't agree...lol).

nova

imported post

I have many nights where I can't get to sleep. Rather than just lie there awake, I spend an hour reloading about 50rds. Or whenever I have nothing better to do...boom another 50rds done.

hsmith

imported post

nova wrote:
I have many nights where I can't get to sleep. Rather than just lie there awake, I spend an hour reloading about 50rds. Or whenever I have nothing better to do...boom another 50rds done.

Yeah - I realized "i sit on my ass for hours on end during the weekend watching tv" so i figured I'd waste my time doing something productive!

Now if I can just find Hordany .224 55grain bullets, I can start reloading 223!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had been putting off laying in some reloading supplies for winter, but got to it yesterday. Many of you already know that Obama-mania has hit that industry too. Midway was out of almost all the popular calibers of rifle and pistol bullets. I don't know about powder or primers 'cause I buy them locally to avoid the HAZMAT fee. I was able to get most of what I wanted from Graf and Sons, but they were also out of quite a bit. I've seen these scares come and go. I'm not saying the climate is good out there for us, but in the coming weeks and months, I'm sure there will be plenty of supplies The prices are even coming down some because of deflation in commodities prices for lead, copper, zinc, etc.

hsmith

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I had been putting off laying in some reloading supplies for winter, but got to it yesterday. Many of you already know that Obama-mania has hit that industry too. Midway was out of almost all the popular calibers of rifle and pistol bullets. I don't know about powder or primers 'cause I buy them locally to avoid the HAZMAT fee. I was able to get most of what I wanted from Graf and Sons, but they were also out of quite a bit. I've seen these scares come and go. I'm not saying the climate is good out there for us, but in the coming weeks and months, I'm sure there will be plenty of supplies The prices are even coming down some because of deflation in commodities prices for lead, copper, zinc, etc.
yeah, i want to order quite a few pounds of powder just to negate the hazmat charges, it is a pain because they don't have all the powder i want.

plus, primers are out everywhere

and bullets are quite hard to come by in bulk

:banghead:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I remember at some point during Slick Willie's regime, the rumor went out his people wanted primers to have a built-in chemical degradation process so they couldn't be stockplied. Within a week or so, you couldn't buy primers anywhere.
Shortly after the rumor was dispelled, there were plenty everywhere.

Patience, grasshoppers.....