• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BB Guns?

amentment2

imported post

'tis true that "air" promotes combustion but it is equally true the CO2 extinguishes flame at a rate greater than air promotes it.

t33j

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Armed wrote:
In general terms, the Code of Virginia describes a firearm as:  "....any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material..."   [18.2-308]
Funny thing too, gunpowder in a casing doesnt really explode - it burns at an extremely rapid rate. Sooo fast that it seems like an explosion.

There is no quantitative definition of an explosion. Burning gunpowder is just a chemical reaction. At what speed is a reaction considered an explosion? There is a continuum of reaction rates.

I would consider burning gunpowder an explosion, because I've arbitrarily decided that it reacts fast enough, and generates enough energy in a short enough period. I'll bet a jury would too.

The release of pressure (action of an explosion) generated by the reaction (of a combustible (meaning it burns - i.e. reacts with oxygen) material) meets the qualitative definition of explosion.

amentment2 wrote:
tis true that "air" promotes combustion but it is equally true the CO2 extinguishes flame at a rate greater than air promotes it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chatelier's_principle

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It's not a "firearm", but it is a "gun"; but in Virginia, a rubber band stretched between your fingers like a slingshot, with a paper wad for ammo constitutes a "gun". I was in the clerk's office of a local circuit court once, where they were having trouble with a big, heavy duty stapler. They'd cleared the jam and were shooting staples into a trash can to test it as I was standing there. I reported them to the deputy sheriff standing nearby for the crime ofpossession of a "gun" in the courthouse. That was a joke, of course, and everybody thought it was funny, though it was technically correct, and in theory, each of those three deputy clerks could have gone to jail for twelve months.