• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does the gov't make laws?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So my g/f's 8 yr old was doing homework, and wanted to quiz me on a few of his questions. He asked, I answered, then he told me what the book said:

Why does the government make laws?

My answer: The government doesn't make laws, the people do. Regardless, laws are made to prevent a person or group of people from violating the rights of others.

The book: To keep the people safe. :?

What is the difference between private property and public property?

My answer: Private property is owned by a person or a group of people. It is part of their wealth. Public property is owned by all of the people, therefore everyone has access to it. However, the people must be responsible for it so it is maintained and available to everyone.

The book: Private property is owned by a person or a group of people for their own use. Public property is owned by the government, and the people are normally granted free access to it. :?

Anyone else see a horrible pattern here?

darthmord

imported post

That is depressing...

But on the flip side, We The People are the the government's employer and we provide everything the government needs to do its job. That includes tangible property.

So the government can't really 'own' something as it belongs to The People as they working on contract for us and we provide all equipment and property as stated above. If the Government bought something, it's in support of the contract and thus property of The People.

It's amazing how right it all appears when you flip government contracting rules around to apply to the government. :D

Orygunner

imported post

I suspected as much... Our children are being brainwashed into SUBJECTS by the public school system! :shock:

Oh, wait. I already knew that. We need more Libertarian teachers!

...Orygunner...

the wheeelman

imported post

darthmord wrote:
That is depressing...

But on the flip side, We The People are the the government's employer and we provide everything the government needs to do its job. That includes tangible property.

So the government can't really 'own' something as it belongs to The People as they working on contract for us and we provide all equipment and property as stated above. If the Government bought something, it's in support of the contract and thus property of The People.

It's amazing how right it all appears when you flip government contracting rules around to apply to the government. :D

That is desturbing indeed.

Some may say we don't provide anything but rather the government takes what it needs to do it's job via the unconstitutional Federal Income Tax and illegal land grabs.

AZkopper

imported post

Disturbing, yes. Against the intentions of the Constitution and Founding Fathers, yes. But unfortunately, as far as the public property v. private property goes, it is pretty true these days.

r6-rider

imported post

v. in·doc·tri·nat·ed, in·doc·tri·nat·ing, in·doc·tri·nates
  1. To instruct in a body of doctrine or principles.
  2. To imbue with a partisan or ideological point of view: a generation of children who had been indoctrinated against the values of their parents.

Flyer22

imported post

DreQo wrote:
So my g/f's 8 yr old was doing homework, and wanted to quiz me on a few of his questions. He asked, I answered, then he told me what the book said:

My answer: The government doesn't make laws, the people do. Regardless, laws are made to prevent a person or group of people from violating the rights of others.

My answer: Private property is owned by a person or a group of people. It is part of their wealth. Public property is owned by all of the people, therefore everyone has access to it. However, the people must be responsible for it so it is maintained and available to everyone.

The book: Private property is owned by a person or a group of people for their own use. Public property is owned by the government, and the people are normally granted free access to it. :?

I can see both sides to this. For one thing, a book aimed at an 8-year-old is not really an appropriate place for discussing the philosophy of government.

The law question: You basically said the same thing as the book--if nobody's rights are violated, then everybody will be safe.

The property question: Your answer is possibly more complex than it should be, under the circumstances. Andquite honestly,the book's answer is actually more correct, since it says, "the people are normally granted free access" to public property. Nobody expects to be granted free access to public property in the form ofan ICBMsilo.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

I can see both sides to this. For one thing, a book aimed at an 8-year-old is not really an appropriate place for discussing the philosophy of government.

The law question: You basically said the same thing as the book--if nobody's rights are violated, then everybody will be safe.

The property question: Your answer is possibly more complex than it should be, under the circumstances. Andquite honestly,the book's answer is actually more correct, since it says, "the people are normally granted free access" to public property. Nobody expects to be granted free access to public property in the form ofan ICBMsilo.

I see your point with private property in reference to more dangerous, larger scale things, but I don't necessarily agree. A statement like "public property is generally free to the public to use" would have been better, as it doesn't use the word "granted".

The problem with the government keeping us "safe" is the fact that they try to keep us save from ourselves. The seatbelt laws are a perfect example. Does not wearing my seatbelt violate anyone's rights? No. Is it stupid? Well, yeah. Does being stupid violate anyone's rights? No. Therefore, there should be no law regarding the act.

We can even bring this a lot closer to home by considering the carriage of firearms. Does having a gun on me violate anyone's rights? Nope. So why the hell are there laws that make it illegal? Oh, because it "keeps the people safe"....

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Let's keep in mind that the people ARE the government in this country. Now we'll try again with that in mind...

DreQo wrote:

The book: Private property is owned by a person or a group of people for their own use. Public property is owned byall people, and the people are normally granted free access to it. :)

Much better. Remember, public property is owned by ALL people, not just you. That's why you don't have unrestricted access to all public property all the time, it isn't just yours. That'd be like buying one share of a major corporation and then busting into headquarters and demanding access to the CEO's private bathroom so you can take a dump, because you're an "owner". It just doesn't work like that. You're AN owner, not THE owner.

The laws for safety one I lol'd at though. That's just sad.

Armed

imported post

I remember a number of years ago, reading my teenaged son's high school (10th grade maybe?) American History book. There was just ONE DAMN PAGE on the American Revolution! It wasn't even a chapter... :shock:

It does not surprise me that today's youth have no appreciation for our country, the constitution, or the ideals of our founding fathers. If I had the opportunity to repeat those years with my children - I would definately homeschool.

r6-rider

imported post

id recommend home school too. i was home schooled since 5th grade, i came out way smarter (book and street wise) then almost everyone that went to public school. i had the real world experience and enough book time to ensure i knew the basics. but it does come down to how the parent teaching the kid of course. i hate how these schools dont teach kids how to think for themselves, instead its "do what the government says" which usually leads to the rebellious stage when they become teenagers