• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen Guns Concern Police

Armed

imported post

http://www.powhatantoday.com/index.php/news/article/stolen-guns-concern-police1/

Stolen guns concern police

By Michael Copley
Staff writer

Jan 28, 2009

Powhatan residents should be on the lookout for suspicious activity in their neighborhoods, this according to the Sheriff’s Department.

The latest rash of thefts, which authorities say started some time late in 2008, has targeted unlocked cars in the driveways of county subdivisions.

The Sheriff’s Department said at least 16 car owners in the Chestnut Oak, Shadow Creek, Spencer Wood and Maple Grove neighborhoods have been victims in these nighttime strikes.

But Detective Jason Tackett said the thefts are not neighborhood specific.

How you can protect yourself:
• Keep doors to homes and vehicles locked
• Remove all valuables from vehicles
• Report any suspicious activity to the Powhatan Sheriff’s Dept. at 598-5656

Authorities say the thieves are opening the doors of unlocked cars across the county and taking money, ipods, GPS systems, and most troubling to police, firearms.

“It’s bad enough peoples’ valuables are being taken,” said Ann Reynolds of the Sheriff’s Department, “but it’s the guns that scare me. Now we have to worry about more of them out there.”

At last count firearms had been stolen from three residents’ vehicles.

“This is not the old Powhatan that people who grew up here remember,” said Detective Kevin Wolfe.

Investigation into these crimes is hampered by the unlocked car doors. Without forced entry, the Sheriff’s Office says it can take a day or two for people to notice something is missing.

So authorities are asking residents to keep a close eye on the activity in their neighborhoods and immediately notify police of any unusual activity.

“The residents are usually best at spotting what or who is out of place in their neighborhood,” said Tackett.

Areas hit so far
1. Chestnut Oaks
2. Shadow Creek
3. Spencer Wood
4. Maple Grove

Armed

imported post

Armed wrote:
So authorities are asking residents to keep a close eye on the activity in their neighborhoods and immediately notify police of any unusual activity.

“The residents are usually best at spotting what or who is out of place in their neighborhood,” said Tackett.
My favorite line in the article. Do you really believe complete strangers to that area know who to target for firearms? More than likely - it's local dirtbags who know damn well what and who they're looking for.

some verb

imported post

Armed wrote:
Armed wrote:

My favorite line in the article. Do you really believe complete strangers to that area know who to target for firearms? More than likely - it's local dirtbags who know damn well what and who they're looking for.

Well, considering 16 cars have been hit, and only 3 with firearms, I'd say it's hard to pinpoint who is doing it, so it seems like reasonable advice. But, as said above, I would think there's a good chance you'd find a gun randomly hitting cars or houses in Powhatan

rchjr

imported post

What perplexes me is why the firearms are left in the vehicles overnight. Mine are either on my person or locked in the safe. Or within reach for the things that go bump in the night. I wouldn't leave anything in a vehicle that I didn't want someone else to take.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

rchjr wrote:
What perplexes me is why the firearms are left in the vehicles overnight. Mine are either on my person or locked in the safe. Or within reach for the things that go bump in the night. I wouldn't leave anything in a vehicle that I didn't want someone else to take.

You are exactly right.

Its amazing how people keep giving me "Darwin award" type stories to use as examples when I'm teaching a class.

TFred

imported post

And this is part of what just kills me about the Free Lance-Star so religiously publishing the names and streets of new CHP holders every month or so.

If they are as rabidly anti-gun as their actions and editorials indicate, why in the world do they publish a monthly guide to local criminals, listing the homes to case and burglarize, providing a reliable source for guns to steal and be put out on the street?

As it seems in all cases, the anti-gun mindset is just completely illogical.

:banghead:

TFred

darthmord

imported post

Perhaps the police should arrest the newspaper for aiding and abetting criminal activity since they are effectively giving criminals the locations of firearms they may want to steal...

Just a thought.

TFred

imported post

Ha ha ha, what a chuckle... if the New York Times (well, their management) is still walking around free on the streets, there is nothing a local paper could do that would result in criminal charges.

The First Amendment is sacred, after all.

TFred

darthmord

imported post

TFred wrote:
Ha ha ha, what a chuckle... if the New York Times (well, their management) is still walking around free on the streets, there is nothing a local paper could do that would result in criminal charges.

TFred

It's only sacred while the 2nd is there to protect it.

I have to wonder how long we'll have the 1st Amendmentif the 2nd ever gets taken away.

TFred

imported post

darthmord wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

It's only sacred while the 2nd is there to protect it.

I have to wonder how long we'll have the 1st Amendmentif the 2nd ever gets taken away.
Well that was sort of my point... as long as it's outfits like the NYT, there will be no problem. Talk Radio, on the other hand, is a great risk, even now.

The First Amendment is only sacred to those who agree with what is being said. To everyone else, it's just another obstacle to be legislated around.

TFred