• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My recent life-changing experience

tattedupboy

imported post

I realize that I don't visit this forum very often tobegin with, so I can't really say that's why I haven't been here in a while. Nevertheless, here is the story as I posted it on another forum to which I belong (and no, don't think that I'm using this to bash OC, either!).Here is the story as I have it posted on another forum to which I belong:

Hello, everyone. I'm posting this thread to tell everyone about a recent incident that effectively ended my security career.

At approximately 2345 on 16 Jan, I had just left my post at the check cashing store where I was employed. My plan was to head to my apartment, which is located just across the street, check my mail, drop off my newspaper and the tupperware container in which I had brought my lunch, and head back out to my next gig, which is as a bouncer at a nightclub.

Anyway, as I was approaching the entrance to my apartment complex, a guy wearing dark clothing was walking in my direction. As we passed each other, when he got behind me, he turned around and shot me. Even though I was wearing level III body armor underneath my shirt, the bullet hit me right above it, next to my shoulder blade. I fell to the ground in a heap, my right arm (which is my shooging arm), crumpled in a heap next to me. The perp proceeded to disarm me, and since I could not move my right arm (otherwise, I would have returned fire) I had no choice but to show him how to remove my firearm (a Glock 22) from the level III holster in which I was carrying it. After disarming me, the perp ran off; at no point did he ask for my wallet or even attempt to get it himself.

I was able to get right up, and I searched on my duty belt for my cell phone, which I was unable to locate. I was able to gather up my things and get inside and up to my apartment and used the phone in there to call 911. The police arrived first, and the respondinf officer took me downstairs to wait for the ambulance to arrive. Upon getting down there, I learned that another woman who lived in my building was sitting in her vehicle in the parking lot when the incident happened, and she also called the police. She also located my cell phone and returned it to me when I got downstairs.

I was admitted to the hospital at 0020 on 17 January, where, after a CT scan was done on me, it was determined that I get transferred. I was transferred to the hosptial's southern campus at 0630.

I just got released today. During my 11 day stay, I had the bullet, which was lodged in the front of my neck, removed, and I began physical therapy to regain the use of my right arm. So now begins a rigorous regimen of physical therapy. I'll keep everyone updated.

While I am at times bitter about the end of my career and my independence being taken away from me, I'm just happy to be alive, and happy that the guy didn't hurt me worse than he did.

compmanio365

imported post

Wow....sorry to hear about that dude. I don't think it's anything any of us could know about until we were in the same situation. Here's hoping you heal quickly and regain full use of your right arm.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Very unfortunate. I hope you're able to fully recover. This is perfect evidence that carrying a gun and even opening carrying it does not deter all crime.

I wonder if he intentionally aimed for an unprotected spot or just got lucky.

Odd encounter also. He went through all that trouble and incredible riskjust to get a second gun?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Wow, so sorry. I really hope that you're wrong and, with time and physical therapy, you'll be able to continue doing security work.
Lucky to be alive indeed.

r6-rider

imported post

wow, you just got hit by lightning...

this is the first case iv ever read that something like this has happened

Michigander

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
wow, you just got hit by lightning...

this is the first case iv ever read that something like this has happened
Not really. At least as far as I can tell, it sounds like tattedupboy is a security guard. Uniformed OCers have many times been targets of lunatic criminals. Additionally, it sounds like this was in Gary Indiana, which is not exactly known for being a safe place. I wouldn't want to OC or otherwise set foot in Gary myself.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My best wishes for a speedy recovery tattedupboy. You say this ended your security career, is that due to your personal choice or do your injuries preclude your return?

I hope your physical therapy goes well and you get some counseling. That's the stuff of nightmares.

Your posts here have been enjoyable and you sound like a good citizen. Good luck and keep us informed when you can.