• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Committee OKs guns in restaurants bill

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/committee-oks-guns-restaurants-bill

The Associated Press
© January 28, 2009 RICHMOND
Another attempt to allow concealed weapons permit holders to carry hidden guns into restaurants that serve alcohol as long as they don't drink any has cleared a Senate committee.
Gov. Tim Kaine vetoed Sen. Emmett Hanger's bill last year, and the Senate did not have the votes to overturn it. Administration officials said Kaine likely would reject it again.
Under the legislation, those who carry a concealed weapon into a restaurant and either drink alcohol or fail to inform management that they're armed could be charged with a crime.
Currently, guns can be taken into restaurants as long as they are out in the open.
The Courts of Justice Committee endorsed the bill 9-6 Wednesday.

Neplusultra

imported post

Armed wrote:
WooHoo! And now the *real* fun begins! .... :D
Doesn't sound so good to me if you have to inform the management. Senario: You inform manager. Manager calls cops says to them, "I think he has a gun on him." Cops; "Didn't he inform you?". "No". Now it's your word against his. Do you think an anti might pull something like this if given a chance?

Armed

imported post

You're right, and we need to see if we can influence that change in language. Not sure how that will come out. I do not recall in last year's bill... the 'duty to inform' that is contained in this year's bill. Did I miss that last year?

essayons

imported post

I would rather wait a year and get a bill without the "duty to inform."

"Duty to inform" seems like it would become a major PITA, and if I'm going to tell someone I have a gun, I might as well OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BTW Neplusultra - Since I'll have my digital recorder on, I really don't care what they might tell LE. Would enjoy catching such an anti giving false information to a LEO.

Having to notify them sort of reduces the reason to CC doesn't it. Guess I'll just continue to OC then I won't need to say a thing.

Having to notify them is not unlike verbal brandishing. Do you just walk up to the hostess and say. "Party of four. I have a gun."

I can imagine having to do this in all interactions with other people i.e. at Wally World customer service desk - I'd like to return these shoes. I am carrying a gun" or "Excuse me sir, that's my grocery cart. I have a gun."

I'll have to keep it straight. With a LEO there is no duty to inform, at lunch or dinner will have to inform and in a "discussion" with another person I will be acting in a threatening or intimidating manner if I inform them.
:banghead: :banghead:

Yata hey

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Submitted Bill: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+ful+SB1035

From the submitted bill:

J3. No person shall carry who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia ; however, nothing herein may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club shall inform a designated employee of the restaurant or club that he is carrying a concealed handgun. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. A person who becomes intoxicated while carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such a restaurant or club is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall prohibit any sworn apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit while actually engaged in the performance of his official duties.

EDIT: Some words are lined through in the bill's text, but that didn't convey in the "copy/paste" I performed to get it here.

In a nutshell it seems that you would have to inform, period...though it doesn't lay out a punishment for not informing?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
As I read the post (have not read the legislation), the duty to inform is only if you are drinking alcohol.
You would have a duty to inform when entering and could not legally drink alcohol.

Yata hey

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
BTW Neplusultra - Since I'll have my digital recorder on, I really don't care what they might tell LE. Would enjoy catching such an anti giving false information to a LEO.

Having to notify them sort of reduces the reason to CC doesn't it. Guess I'll just continue to OC then I won't need to say a thing.

Having to notify them is not unlike verbal brandishing. Do you just walk up to the hostess and say. "Party of four. I have a gun."

I can imagine having to do this in all interactions with other people i.e. at Wally World customer service desk - I'd like to return these shoes. I am carrying a gun" or "Excuse me sir, that's my grocery cart. I have a gun."

I'll have to keep it straight. With a LEO there is no duty to inform, at lunch or dinner will have to inform and in a "discussion" with another person I will be acting in a threatening or intimidating manner if I inform them.

Yata hey

I was thinking about that too...I'd get a shirt printed that just says "I'm ARMED" on the front as that'll be much more subtle than carrying my tiny gun openly...I'll surely take advantage of that...:?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Notice how the article is redundant "concealed weapons permit holders to carry hidden guns". Blatant editorializing.

Squid13

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:

The Associated Press
Another attempt to allow concealed weapons permit holders to carry hidden guns into restaurants that serve alcohol as long as they don't drink any has cleared a Senate committee.
Gov. Tim Kaine vetoed Sen. Emmett Hanger's bill last year, and the Senate did not have the votes to overturn it. Administration officials said Kaine likely would reject it again.
So does this mean it is law? Or did it pass a senate committee? What exactly does that mean. Can the Gov. still veto? When is it official?

essayons

imported post

Squid13 wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

The Associated Press
So does this mean it is law? Or did it pass a senate committee? What exactly does that mean. Can the Gov. still veto? When is it official?
It still must be voted upon by the senate and house and clear the governors desk to become law.

Does this bill have VCDL support?

hsmith

imported post

I mean really, if you frequent a place, all you would "technically" have to do is mail the manager/ect "I will always be carrying when I come to your restaurant" and it would satisfy the requirement ;)

Or you could have a card "This card informs you I am complying to VA Code Section XXXXX" and nothing else.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Or you could have a card "This card informs you I am complying to VA Code Section XXXXX" and nothing else.
I do like that! :lol:

Their not understanding the message should be covered under ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Yata hey

Renegade

imported post

As law abiding citizens we can inform management the same way police do during a no-knock raid.

Look at them from across the room when their back is to you and whisper under your breath, "I am informing you that I am lawfully carrying a firearm."

Who cares of they fail to hear you.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Renegade wrote:
As law abiding citizens we can inform management the same way police do during a no-knock raid.

Look at them from across the room when their back is to you and whisper under your breath, "I am informing you that I am lawfully carrying a firearm."

Who cares of they fail to hear you.

:)

Call it "whisper carry".

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
"Excuse me sir, that's my grocery cart. I have a gun."

Yata hey
"Excuse me sir, but that's my cart. And Virginia State law requires me to tell you that I have a gun"

I can't see how that would ever be a problem :^).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
"Excuse me sir, that's my grocery cart. I have a gun."

Yata hey
"Excuse me sir, but that's my cart. And Virginia State law requires me to tell you that I have a gun"

I can't see how that would ever be a problem :^).

"Excuse me, sir. It is now my grocery cart. And I too am required to notify that I have a gun. I am not required to notify you that I am the local IDPA champ, so I won't. You may, however, recover your vegetables. Just keep both hands where I can see them."

:D