Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had the need to brandish/draw/shoot?

Post imported post

Have you ever had the need to brandish/draw/shoot?

What were the circumstances? What were the results?

Post imported post

Had to "Brandish" twice, once was certainly a major threat, the other merely veiled.
    Was out with a friend in the mountains at a shooting range in Colorado. We had ALL of our weapons out just havin a "Plinkin party" Sitting at a stoplight carload of,,well not so nice fella's pulled alongside. One hung out of the passenger window with a snub nose .38 told my friend who was the driver "Hand me your wallet or I blow you up" I reached over the back seat and pulled out my 12 gauge reached it behind my buddies head and damn near touched the bastid on the nose and told him" drop the gun or I blow up your whole damn car" They smoked their wheels running a red light almost causing a pile up.
    The second time I was in my Van with my wife and two kids in back. Again at a redlight. Van had a CB in the headliner. Fella pulled alongside said "Nice CB ya got, think I'll just take it" Reached down into the "boot" of the Van told him " Well here take 240 grains of lead with it" Again,,the same reaction smokin tires into the intersection. This time there was a collision, I just drove around it. Wonder if he gave an excuse to the cops like,,a fella threatened me with a gun?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

In the summer of about 1993 I was out alone shooting on BLM land in the High Desert of SoCal. I used to go out there pretty regularly and setup a table full of toys. I would hike out to a hillside from my toys and setup targets anywhere from 300 to 500 yards out then come back for some fun. Whenever I would go out to setup or retrieve targets I would slide the table into the back of the truck which has a locking hardtop.

On this one afternoon while I was way on my hike back from setting up targets a beatup old pickup showed up with 3 guys in it. They were stumbling around and threw out a bunch of empty beer cans. They were REALLY interested in my truck and were looking all around presumably looking for me but they didn't spot me.

One of them began to attempt to open the hard top at the back of the truck. I always carry an AR and a pistol with me when I'm hiking while shooting. I took a single pistol shot (into my backstop behind me NOWHERE near them) and then brought my rifle up to my shoulder in what I guess some wouldI guess would be called a'high ready' position.

Fortunately they decided it was time to go and it didn't go any further then that.Ipacked upand left. I don't shoot alone out there anymore

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Pamiam wrote:

I have never "brandished". I have "shown" a firearm to people from time to timeto assure them that I had one, knew how to use it, and that if they did not stop what they were doing before someone got hurtI would demonstrate its operation and use as a tool in the application of deadly force. But when I drew the weapon, my intent was to fire it. Only the subsequent actions of the other person prevented me from doing so.

Now of course in Virginia, it is important that there be justification such as self defense, or reasonable cause to believe a person was about to inflict serious harm or death on someone, before you show them your weapon. Under those conditions brandishing does not apply.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I've never drawn my weapon from it's holster in public......but there has been several times when the very act of OCing has prevented me from having to do so.

Post imported post

Haven't drawn it except at the range.

I did have an encounter one night (almost midnight) while on Christmas break a few weeks back. On my way out of the Wal-Mart on North Military Highway heading to my car. A guy starts walking in the 'blind spot' of the human body (around 5 o'clock if me facing forward was 12) a few steps behind me as I passed him. He was originally standing around outside when I went in.

I was CC with my firearm in my pocket (no belt and the pants I was wearing weren't OC/CC friendly). I also had my keys there. He apparently realized what was imprinting from inside my jacket as he immediately & hurriedly veered away while glancing back at me.

I was well armed for the occasion. Firearm if necessary, metal pans in my other hand. A pan upside the head does wonders for attitude adjustments. H2H training doesn't hurt either .

Oddly, it wasn't until I was back on the road that my heart started racing and I started feeling jittery.

Post imported post

This is a very educational thread. Thank you all for your stories.

There was one time that my firearms gave me great comfort, although I was able to get out of the situation without touching/showing them. That's always the best way to go if at all possible.

I have had no need to "brandish", draw, shoot, and hope to never. But I do strive to be prepared should it ever be necessary. Stories like these help me, and others, both prepare for, and avoid, learned situations. Thank you all for sharing.

Post imported post

Back in '84, a guy tried to run a friend and me off of I-44 in the middle of the night (after apparently trying to do the same to somebody else). The guy got in front of us and started slowing down, weaving from side to side so that we couldn't get around him. I had my friend hit the dome light when he got right on our front bumper so that he could see me pointing a loaded HK93 at him through the windshield. The guy took off at the speed of light, probably ruining his engine in the process. I later heard from another friend that he'd been harassed by the same guy. He was about to shoot him with his M1911 when he took off.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've only been carrying since Sept of 08 and haven't had to use my sidearm in any way, yet.

However, I did have a rather humorousincident occur many years ago.

Back in the late 70's, I was still married. I had been down in the woods behind my house when I returned to find a strange car in the driveway. I had my SA .22LR revolver holstered in western style drop holster. I walked up the side of the house to the front and found my wife (X-wife now for nearly 30 yearws) setting on the porch with a young fellow that had an array of brushes on display and what appeared to be a catalog that he was trying to show my wife.

When I stepped up on the porch, my wife's back was to me and the young feller was facing me. She turned to look at me and with a preturbed (this guy won't go away) look said," this guy's selling brushes and I've already told him when he got hereI didn't need anything. Do you need anything? I'm gonna start supper." And she got up to go inside. The salesman had already spotted my low slung 6 shooter, and my hand near the stocks (like a gunslinger just before the gun fight) and I'm pretty sure he had noticed my custom HD Sportster on hte porch behind him. It was one of those "deer in the headlights" moments. (You know, like this ----> :what

So I just gave him a sort of cross lookand said in my bestJosey Wellstone, "You still here?" I ain't never seen anyone pack up so fast in my life. He picked his chin up off the floor (that he had dropped when he saw be come around the corner of the house) scooped up all them brushes, stuffed them into his carry case and quick stepped it to his car (while not taking his eye offmy gun the whole time) and lit out of the drive way as if he was competing in the Gator Nationals.

Wify heard me laughin my butt off and came out to see what had happened. She saw the dust out front and asked me what I said to the guy. (She saw him peel out of the drive way) I told her, and she just said with a smile, "You are soooooooo mean". We were still snickerin' about it while we ate supper.

Post imported post

Unholstered 3 times, pointed once.

That was all it took. Didn't have to pull the trigger. 4 crimes prevented, nobody got hurt. Statistics, where?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:

That was all it took. Didn't have to pull the trigger. 4 crimes prevented, nobody got hurt. Statistics, where?
    The anti-gunners always jump to the conclusion that "using" a firearm to stop or prevent a crime means "shooting". It would be interesting to know the percentage of the estimated 2.5 million times per year a firearm was used without firing. My guess it would be pretty small.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    ixtow wrote:

The anti-gunners always jump to the conclusion that "using" a firearm to stop or prevent a crime means "shooting". It would be interesting to know the percentage of the estimated 2.5 million times per year a firearm was used without firing. My guess it would be pretty small.
    No, they almost universally equate "using" with "KILLING", hence the spurious claim that a gun is more likely to KILL a family member than a criminal.

According to anti-gunners, you haven't actually USED a gun if there isn't a corpse. If a wouldbe assailant sees your firearm and runs, you've apparently neither used it nor defended yourself

In response I often ask, "Do you advocate the use of the martial arts for self-defense?" If they say, "yes" I just ask, "So then similarly, do you believe you haven't defended yourself with the martial arts unless someone has been beaten or choked to death?" That REALLY seems to annoy them.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Banned

Post imported post

The only time I've unholstered outside of the range or at home was... two nights ago?

My cousin, 16, was showing off his airsoft M4 and 1911 and talking about how realistic they were, I was smiling and nodding, and finally just quietly took my Glock out, dropped the mag, ejected the round, locked back the slide, and handed it over grip-first, saying "No, those are toys. They're not realistic at all. This is what a gun feels like."

I bet he's still grinning.

Now I need to find a way to get him either out here or to a range somewhere out there, because he wants to go shooting for real.

That was my best non-shooting use of a Glock.

Oh wait, I've used it as a paperweight before, I take that back.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Now THAT is a good use for a Glock!
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Aran wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Now THAT is a good use for a Glock!
    Good dog chew toys, too.

Post imported post

Nice guard dog. What was his qualifying score?LOL

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    Nice guard dog. What was his qualifying score?LOL
    Are you kidding? He would never use ballistic tupperware for that....
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Years ago not long after my wife and I were married, I was taking college classes at night. We lived in a 1-bedroom apartment in a very nice development. The buildings were all segregated so that singles and those married without children were not in the same buildings with families.. made it nice for parties and such.

There was an elderly lady who lived directly below us on the second floor who one night, had an attempted break-in while she was in her apartment! The steel fire door and frame were heavily damaged by what I would guess was a tire iron or crowbar. So my wife started keeping my hunting handgun out on the nights when I was in school. It was a 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum 6 1/2" barrel - single action, of course.

One night while I was gone she in the living room and she heard unusual sounds in the hallway; which was an enclosed hallway. You know, in apartments, you get used to the sounds and the comings and goings of your neighbors. But the sounds she was hearing were foreign to her. Also, she hear doorknobs being "tested" as the sounds stopped at each landing. When they got to the 3rd floor, my wife had my gun in her hand pointed at the door and when our doorknob was tried, she yelled that she had a gun and it was pointed at the door and the person better get out of there. She heard rapid footsteps going down the stairs and out the front door.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Had an incident where I had to brandish several years ago. I was on my way to the range in my car and had my P89 in the seat beside me. A car containing some outstanding examples of today's society pulled up next to me at the light. One of these fine young individuals leaned out the window brandishing a 6" knife and stated he wanted to "test drive" my car. I raised the pistol to clear the top of the door by around 2" and stated with a smile "hop in, let's take a ride". Never saw a '80 Caprice move that fast before...............

Post imported post

I've never had to use a firearm in a defensive situation in any manner and I hope it stays that way.

Post imported post

Post imported post

The closest I have come was 2-3 years ago and involved a very aggressive Chevy Suburban driver with a car full of early 20s somethings who from some unknown reason targeted me. The SUV was driving very erratically, cutting me off, slowing down, speeding up, brake checking, yelling, swerving towards my vehicle, making obscene gestures, etc. at me on a fairly empty rural interstate. After making reasonable efforts (ie without grossly violating the law or safety by like driving 100+ mph) to either get ahead or behind them without success over about 15-20 miles as they were determined to harass me (and no, I don't know why as when they merged on the interstate ahead of me I signaled, changed lanes and with cruise control still on passed them normally on the left and as I did the driver honked at me, flipped me off and yelled obscenities for unknown reasons), I had finally determined that they were very dangerous and I was done waiting to see if they were actually going to do something that could injure or kill me.

My t-tops were out, my sidearm was on the my passenger seat under a jacket, and after they sped up significantly, short-passed me and brake checked yet again, I fell back, put the jacket on the floor board, hit "resume" on the cruise control and passed them normally on the left yet again. As I came around this time I again saw the finger fly up, heard the cursing and then heard something like, "Holy f--- he has a gun" and then I heard the tire chirping of ABS locking up the wheels as they came to a nearly dead stop in their lane and I continued on my way never seeing them again. I never once touched my sidearm and having it on my seat like that was completely legal.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

oilfieldtrash11 wrote:
    One time actually, very recently, I had to draw my S&W .38 Special out of my jacket while pulling over to pickup my girlfriend in the middle of the night for, well..we will leave that out. Out of nowhere 2 guys approached my Jeep from the back and tried to open my driver side door. I already had my hand inside my carhart ,(which is my favorite jacket while concealing a firearm because of the sweet little velcro pocket on the inside left) and I pulled it out of the pocket, but still concealed within my jacket to see what they were doing. I realized they did not have good intentions so I decided it was time to "show" one of the assailants how clean the inside of my barrel was. It was perfect timing because he actually had a "gun" in his hand which ended up being a bb pistol and I made him drop it. They thought they were tough at first and one of those tough guys was crying while I was calling the police, holding these 2 at gunpoint. The officer said nothing to me about having a loaded firearm in my jeep, on me, or the fact that I had pulled it out to stop these two. You should have seen my girlfriend's face when she walked outside and saw me holding 2 people on the ground at gunpoint, and her dad's face when he came out front to the lights, wondering what I was doing out front in the middle of the night. haha. goodtimes, but that is why I never leave the house without a firearm.

EDIT: in all seriousness ,i may seem to think that this is funny, and that it was fun, because i just couldnt believe the situation and it was funny to watch these two wannabe tough guys break down and cry because they messed with the wrong person. at the time it was not a fun situation, and I am very fortunate that nothing worse happened and that i did not get arrested for concealing a loaded weapon. it is now a funny story.

Those Carhart jackets are very sweet indeed. I carry with mine, too.

Post imported post

Pamiam wrote:

I posted this in the Montana section on here but I'll re-post it here since the topic came up!

It’s been quite some time since this incident happened, I believethe year was 2004 or 2005, I know it was November,but the details still sit in the back of my mind like it was yesterday!

My sister and I were living together in a condo on 11th Ave. & 3rd St. W. Well, we called it a condo to make it sound more glorified. It was a nice looking duplex. At about 2300hrs she and I decided to walk to a nearby gas station so we could get something to drink, then walk uptown for a little while that night. We lived on the west side of Main Street and the gas station was on the east side. After leaving there and getting our drinks we crossed back over to the left-hand (west) side of Main and started walking north. We crossed 12th Street, then 11th. We were nearing courthouse loop (a place where the northbound lanes of the highway and the southbound split to go around the old courthouse), when a car came screaming southbound. There was no traffic on the road and this car was taking full advantage of it.

When the car hit the southbound end of Courthouse Loop the driver immediately grabbed the e-brake and pulled a u-turn right in the middle of the road, causing him to face north in the southbound lane. After sitting there for a second or two, he whipped his car around again and proceeded to head south. My sister and I (both having kinda’ big mouths) hollered at him to slow down and knock off the stupid driving. The driver and his two passengers all hollered “F*** you!” I thought by that reaction that we’d heard and seen the last of them! We continued walking up the road when we heard the distinct sound of tires squealing again! I stopped and my sister continued walking a few more steps before she stopped, which put her about 10-feet in front of me. We both turned around, putting her behind me. When we turned, the car that had performed it’s professional driving techniques for us had pulled another e-brake turn and came up on the sidewalk behind us.

With my sister behind me I knew I’d be the first person hit by the car. In the span of about 2-seconds (although it seemed like 2-hours) the car had come up on the sidewalk at us and closed nearly the ¾ of a block distance between us. When I saw the headlights bearing down on us I ripped open my coat and pulled my pistol.

Okay, this is the point where I get to do a little bit of bragging. I carried a pistol that wasn’t anything really special at the time, a Springfield XD-40. I bought a Surefire X-200 light and mounted that on the rail of the pistol. Since I was doing this shortly after the X-200 hit the market, there wasn’t a damn thing in the way of concealment holsters available for it so I had a Pancake holster custom made for it. That was expensive!!

I don’t even remember pulling the pistol, but I did. I pulled the pistol and aimed it right where I figured the driver’s head was at. Right at that point I activated the light that was mounted on the pistol, possibly temporarily blinding the driver. I think it surprised the hell out of him to see that light, but to see his intended victim in a Weaver Stance with a pistol attached to that light was what I’m bargaining as a bigger surprise! I was half-way through a trigger pull on the very first round in the chamber when the driver turned through a vacant lot, down an alley and took off! The car didn’t even have a license plate on it and only had one taillight! Two feet versus four wheels don’t really compensate

After it all happened I called the cops, but to no avail. They weren’t able to find the car or any sign of it after it happened. When an officer responded to the scene one of the questions was: “Are you sure he came up on the sidewalk at you?” I gave him a dirty look and headed straight for the two trees the car had to go between. On the sidewalk near those trees was a skid mark from the car tires. He looked at me and said something to the effect of how I was lucky! He said had I fired at the car it would more than likely have been ruled as justifiable and no charges would have been filed. Easy to say coming from a cop. One of the first questions a Prosecutor would have asked would be: “Why didn’t you step out of the way?” It’s tough to move in that kind of situation!

Suffice it to say, I think the presence of not only the light, but the weapon itself more than likely saved my life! I know this isn’t quite an Open Carry Story, but it’s a Carry Story nonetheless! I’ll never in my life be caught without a pistol on my belt!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training.

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast