Thread: Want to give a gun to someone in your fair state!

Post imported post

A close female friend of mine has moved to your fair state for the time being due to family reasons and has already had some complications. Not too long ago she woke up in the middle of oh-dark-thirty to the sound of someone tearing the screen off her bathroom window. She's scared now and wanting to get herself a handgun, I have a compact Glock 9mm that I think would be right up her alley. Is there anything legally that would prevent her from owning this pistol for her own protection?

By the way, for those of you who will more than likely ask, yes the cops were called on this incident and there was a report filed but as we all know, they're not always around when they're needed!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training.

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Post imported post

If she is legally able to own a firearm (Federal Law), and is not a "Prohibited Possessor" in AZ, then she may own and Openly Carry a firearm.

AZ has no registration requirements and no requirement for private transfer other than both parties agree on a price (or lack of a price).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

If it's an interstate transfer, probably need to involve FFL(s).

Post imported post

Has the new FFL transfer regs banned the old estate laws?
    I was amazed at how many weapons my poor old grandma owned to allow
    me to remove them out of the state. :shock:

But just pay the transfer fee, and have them overnight the piece to her for pickup.

Me, I keep ID from a few states so I will be local. But that is just me.
    It is a pain to set up, but it can be done in a few places.

Which brings up....
    What would a check show for witness protection people?
    Most are thugs who should be denied.
    Do they just flag the new identity for denial. I doubt they cross reference
    to the original crooks id.

Post imported post

Notso wrote:
    If it's an interstate transfer, probably need to involve FFL(s).
    I'm driving down there before too long so do I really need to worry about this? I mean all I want to do is give her the gun so she can have some sort of protection at home!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion, but rather default to your level of training.

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Post imported post

if its a face to face then yea just hand it over and thats done. if you were to send it by mail it has to be received by the FFL

State Researcher

Post imported post

No! Any transfer of a firearm to a person who resides in a different state must be processed through an FFL in the transferee's home state and you must ship the firearm to the FFL via a common carrier (i.e., you cannot drive tot he dealer and hand it to the dealer in person).

It would just be a lot easier for the OP to send your friend some money and tell her to go to a dealer in Arizona or buy through a private sale from an Arizona resident.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    No! Any transfer of a firearm to a person who resides in a different state must be processed through an FFL in the transferee's home state and you must ship the firearm to the FFL via a common carrier (i.e., you cannot drive tot he dealer and hand it to the dealer in person).

It would just be a lot easier for the OP to send your friend some money and tell her to go to a dealer in Arizona or buy through a private sale from an Arizona resident.
    are you sure? cause if thats true then i broke the law

but whats the difference with that and coming from out of state to lay down your collection at a gun show and sell private party?

Post imported post

Having lived here... off 'n on 'n then finally... I've had many guns that were a simple transfer of personal property between private citizens. Some 'gifts'... some barter... 'n NO 'paperwork'. There is NO gun registration in AZ. 'You wanna give her the gun... bring it down and give it to her. 'Nuff said.

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:

BS.....you can give a "gift" of a firearm here in AZ. We do not register any firearms, and no paperwork is needed to exchange hands. If the new owner is not supposed to have it, then it falls on them if they are caught with it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

usdm419 wrote:
    WVCDL wrote:

BS.....you can give a "gift" of a firearm here in AZ. We do not register any firearms, and no paperwork is needed to exchange hands. If the new owner is not supposed to have it, then it falls on them if they are caught with it.
    If both parties are Arizona residents. Otherwise, federal law (18 U.S.C. ยง 922(a)(3) and (5)) prohibits any form of interstate firearm transfer that is not processed through an FFL as I described above.

The OP claimed to be a Montana resident and inquired about how he could give a firearm to an Arizona resident. Unless there is something special about that particular gun, the easiest route would be for him (or anyone else in a similar situation) to just send the intended recipient some money and advise him/her to lawfully acquire a gun in his/her home state him/herself through either an FFL or a private sale (which is legal in most states, including AZ--but only legal as a matter of federal law if done on a purely intrastate basis).

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

He ain't shippin' it... He's bringin' it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    It doesn't matter.

Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    It doesn't matter.
    lol you dont give up do you. apparently you didnt get my joke about the gun shows either. the ONLY state iv ever seen pull this is california, they make you go through the FFL even if its person to person

i guess you could do the sale at the dealer to have them do a NCIC on them but why do that if you know the person.

think of it this way, unregistered gun, goes from this person to this person, whos going to know a sale ever even took place?

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:

think of it this way, unregistered gun, goes from this person to this person, whos going to know a sale ever even took place?
    EXACTLY!!!!

I don't care what law you're reciting, but when the firearm does not have to be registered in AZ, I don't see how anyone could get in trouble for receiving a "gift" from a friend.

Post imported post

Let's check federal law on the matter:

A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people the keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Looks like you're good to go to me!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Thread closed due to apparently purposeful encouragement of illegal activity by several of the OCDO members above.