• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

off to PA

45orbust

imported post

Hey everyone, Im a resident of Indiana with a license to carry. I will be heading to PA in the next month and i'm aware that my license is recognized there. Im sure OCing out in the Lewistown area (mifflin county) will be OK but how about when I make that 3 hour trip to Geno's in philly for a cheesesteak. When I click on PA on OCDO maps it says must have a permit to OC in Philly. Just making sure that Philly doesn't have any city wide laws or anything prohibiting me from OC'ing in philly with my IN License to carry. I think i'll be ok, what are the facts?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

If your Indiana license/permit is recognized by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (we're not a state, we're a commonwealth), then you can carry concealed anywhere you want (except those places where you can't), including Philadelphia.

Open carry requires no license/permit at all, anywhere in the Commonwealth, except in Philadelphia. There you must possess either a Pa. license, or a license/permit recognized by Pa. (which, as you say, an Indiana license/permit/whatever is).

Since cities/counties/townships/boroughs are prohibited by state law from enacting their own firearms regulation ordinances, Philadelphia has no such restrictions on open carry. Might a police officer inquire about your open carry? It's possible.