Thread: Walther P22 rear sight moving

Post imported post

Well I have had the P22 for a week now and love the pistol, but the rear sight keeps moving around throwing my bullets astray. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks!

Post imported post

I had the same problem with a Walther PPK/S. I contacted the USdistributor (S&W) and it was taken care of under warranty.

Check your owner's manual for that info and give yourdistributor a call.

Post imported post

They said to send it in to be fixed but not really sure what I should do about it. Would this be a simple cheap fix at a local dealer so that I don't have to mail my P22 away? Thanks

Post imported post

Well, if you have a BUG, send it in, especially if your manufacturer is covering the work under warranty. That preserves the warranty coverage.

That said, I suppose you could locktite or something like that.

Question: Does your P22 rear sight have a lock-screw or is it simply a wedge of metal in a slot on the slide?

If it's like my PPK/S, it's a wedge of metal in a slot. My problem was, if I tipped my gun to one side, the rear sight would fall OFF :shock:.

Like I said, it was recommended by a couple of folks at Bob's to either see their gunsmith or to contact the manufacturer (I was also told the gunsmith would suggest this as well). I had it back in about 10 or so days after sending it in to them.

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    They said to send it in to be fixed but not really sure what I should do about it. Would this be a simple cheap fix at a local dealer so that I don't have to mail my P22 away? Thanks
    Just send it in.

Call them, and they'll explain everything you need to know.

For something like that, I might take it to a Gun Smith just for him to see. He might whip out a screwdriver and fix it on the spot or something.

Post imported post

How did you package it up? Did you just send the slide? Also what did you include with the pistol? How can I make sure that I get it back safely? I can't really prove ownership since it isn't registered (Virginia). I am just worried about something happening to it. I'll have to talk to my dad about it. What about shipping? If I pay there then will they pay back? Thanks

Post imported post

This is easy to fix using green Loc-Tite or a small steel punch. Any gunsmith can fix this in 5 minutes. If it were me, I'd fix it myself. Since it's you, take it to a gunsmith.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    How did you package it up? Did you just send the slide? Also what did you include with the pistol? How can I make sure that I get it back safely? I can't really prove ownership since it isn't registered (Virginia). I am just worried about something happening to it. I'll have to talk to my dad about it. What about shipping? If I pay there then will they pay back? Thanks
    Smith and Wesson's Customer Service actually rivals Springfields IMO.

Just give them a call. They are Very Friendly.

They'll even tell you how to pack it, and what to pack. (Gun only)

1-800-372-6454

Post imported post

I called S&W. Talked with a service rep. They sent me via email the shipping label, packing instructions, and the UPS center for my area to call for pickup.

Literally, all I had to do was put it in a box (per their instructions), seal it up, tape the RMA information and shipping label to the box, and call UPS.

I had more trouble with the UPS driver not wanting to give a receipt (instructions said to get one or don't ship). Ended up taking it to the center we called for pickup.

The whole process with S&W was completely painless. I called them after getting my gun back and thanked them for giving me such excellent service.

*edit*

Shipping was free. They sent me via email everything required except the box. No biggie there as I had several small boxes handy (computer parts stuff).

For my own peace of mind I photographed my firearm, included a copy of the receipt with the gun, and kept my original receipt with the firearm case.

The shipping legalities are taken care of for you. Very painless process.