• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi yall

tofubento

imported post

Hi, I am new to the site. Wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully meet others and exchange info about the Laws in this state.

Since I have been unable to find any LEO that knows of Gresham/Oregon state laws...its been a bit frustrating...they cant tell me what a law or ordinance is nor can they tell me how to find it.

Ive found alot of things via the wonder that is the internet.

:lol:

A small experience that prompted me to learn more :

an interesting bit...I was leaving redrobin with a friend of mine the other day and came upon 2 gresham Officers. I politely stopped them and asked them if I could ask them about ccws. They said yes, and I commented that I had mine on me, and wondered what would happen if my shirt/jacket blew open and some one saw it...the response " you would get in a lot of trouble for that, and i would arrest you"..I was a bit shocked...thanked the officer and left.

The thing that got me is, it was such a snap answer that...well I wanted to find out if he was correct or not. He may be an officer but he is still human. So far i havent found anything that says its illegal or punishable offense to have your ccw exposed...and if it is, wouldnt it carry over to being counted as an open carry?

I have a shoulder holster, most comfortable thing for me to use...so sometimes if its mad windy my overshirt can be blown around...hence the asking.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

LEO's are typically the WORST people to ask about laws. Many people on this board have read applicable laws over and over again and can probably give you a reasonable opinion...but if you want true legal advice ask a lawyer.

adamsesq

imported post

tofubento - welcome!

Open carry without a CHL permit is legal everywhere in Oregon with the exception of statutory listed off limits places. Read ORS 166.370 for the entire list but it does broadly include "public buildings." Smaller political subdivisions have the right to prohibit the carrying of loaded wepons and are allowed to define what loaded means; but they cannot prohibit you from carrying your weapon openly.

Once you have a CHL you are exempt from any local prohibition on loaded weapons and the list of prohibited places drops drastically (now you are basically prohibited in courts and jails - federal property is still covered under Federal Law.) Public buildings are no longer off limits to you. It makes NO difference whether you are concealing or open carrying as long as you have a CHL permit.

So the advice you got, as relayed here is inaccurate, you could not have been arrested because your weapon accidently was shown. We have no laws against "brandishing" or your weapon accidently being seen in Oregon. BUT BUT BUT BUT be aware that you still cannot act in a threatening manner with your weapon or you will have a whole 'nother set of problems. For example, you can walk into a Star Bucks with your weapon openly carried just fine, but if you have your weapon concealed under your jacket and you get in an argument with someone in there and in the course of that argument you open up your jacket to reveal the weapon you are seriously in trouble.

This is a general over view and not legal advice and not to be relied upon. As said, if you want legal advice, contact a lawyer. I hear there are some good one's out there. ;)

-adamsesq

tofubento

imported post

Thank you for the info...after reading alot of the laws/ordinance(s)...I was pretty sure the LEO was wrong. Thank you for confirming this, my major concern was if it was taken in a threatening manner...ie wind blowing it open.

lonnydub

imported post

Hi, I am new here as well. Also just got my CWP the other week. I live in Troutdale so I know what you mean by the wind. I have researched the local laws of Troutdale and Gresham along with other cities i'm in a travel through. Most of them mirror Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS). Portland and Beaverton to name a few are different, but like what others have said. Your CWP exempts you. Just be prepared as I am for when....Not "if" I get questioned and arrested. I can educate the LEO's at the station. They are just doing there job. Since we live in such a liberal part of Oregon there is a lot of gun propaganda that has made it's way into the law enforcement circles.

God Bless

SteveInAshand

imported post

WELCOME ;)

By the way cops never bother me and I am OC most of the time even tho I have a CWP.

Cops are human , they "usually " have more basic shooting training than civilians, not always but they should.

Many cops will treat civilians with guns as dangerous untrained knuckleheads and so look down on us as idiots.

To combat this I always look clean cut, presentable , professional , and have confidence in who I am , my basic rights, the basics of the law and what I need to do if I encounter "who ever".

Confidence is key, mild yet tough confidence.

Cops have a bit of supreme ego, they are paramilitary humans and as such live in a world of discipline , strait forward strength, rank, regiment and respect.

Many times cops live so isolated from the rest of us that they have a pack mentality, they can also end up being angry people who see all of us as suspects in an "us against them" view of life.

Cops look to see if people are "organized" The do an immediate "read:" of everyone.

In the military its called "squared away", they disrespect anyone of adult prime age who looks disorganized or un-confident and look down on you as a lessor rank human or social misfit.

They many times will imediatly look down on a man and loose respect for you if you dont know your s**t and lack confidence in your rights and know the law.

Its a subtle subconscious psychology that happens all the time were by if you seem "submissive" rather than "Dominant Alpha, humans ( specially cops ) who are Alpha will immediately dislike you and possibly overtly act dictatorial and disrespectful to you .

Many times its not a matter of the law, its a matter of human nature and subtle law of the jungle.

If you have a fear and a trembling when speaking to "authorities" of any kind its is a sign of internal weakness that needs to be brought up , exposed to yourself ,m resolved , exorcised and replaced with strength.

That is why OC is good it give you the practice to exorcise any weakness to false authority and gain strength in civil conflict, encounters and social isolation for the "assertion" of Your rights.

In OC terms "Carry On"

Best Regards
Steve