Thread: Federal Government Carry

Post imported post

I remember something from a while back but can't seem to remember exactly what it was. Who in the US Government can carry into DC besides secret service, police, and military? Just a question that has been on my mind for a while.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

A guy I know that is VSP says he can't carry in DC which really surprised me (he might be misinformed).
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    A guy I know that is VSP says he can't carry in DC which really surprised me (he might be misinformed).
    He's probably misinformed. According to the 2004 Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act. http://www.fop.net/legislative/issue...8/hr218faq.pdf

The law says I am exempt from the laws of “any State or any political subdivision
    thereof.” Does this mean the law is not effective in Washington, D.C., Puerto
    Revised 7/7/05 3
    Rico, or other U.S. territories?

No, the law applies in these places as well. The term “State” is defined in Chapter 44 of Title 18,
    which is the portion of the U.S. Code that the Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act amends,
    and the one that applies when interpreting this Act.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Misinformed....

As NOVA posted the HR 218 thing covers them in all states including DC

Post imported post

The District of Columbia is not a state.

They have no representation in Congress of Senate as do the states.

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    The District of Columbia is not a state.

They have no representation in Congress of Senate as do the states.

It doesn't matter. LEOSA applies just the same.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I remember something from a while back but can't seem to remember exactly what it was. Who in the US Government can carry into DC besides secret service, police, and military? Just a question that has been on my mind for a while.
    I would think the FBI, BATFE amongst a host of other agencies.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Yata hey
    In short ANY federal Enforcement agency that has sworn Agents, including many you may not be aware of, like EPA agents. Grapeshots is correct for those two and Homeland Security has a lot of agencies with armed agents. Marshal's service, Bureau of Prisons. There are a lot of armed security services that guard federal buildings that may go armed while on duty at the facility they guard.

Actually surprisingly most military are not allowed to carry unless they have a duty requirement to do so.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Yata hey
    In short ANY federal Enforcement agency that has sworn Agents, including many you may not be aware of, like EPA agents. Grapeshots is correct for those two and Homeland Security has a lot of agencies with armed agents. Marshal's service, Bureau of Prisons. There are a lot of armed security services that guard federal buildings that may go armed while on duty at the facility they guard.

Actually surprisingly most military are not allowed to carry unless they have a duty requirement to do so.
    The only military that I know of that carry within the D.C. limits are Marinesin and around8th&I, Marine Barracks Washington (Southeast DC). And as was said, it is only done while on duty guarding Marine Corps property in the area and the Generals living at 8th&I. And the Marines are OPEN CARRYING...yet surprisingly, I have not heard of any instances in recent history where some BG tried to disarm a single one of them

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

echo6tango wrote:
    ...SNIP
    And the Marines are OPEN CARRYING...yet surprisingly, I have not heard of any instances in recent history where some BG tried to disarm a single one of them
    LMAO

Never, NEVER, EVER, try to take a weapon from a motivated US Marine. Even the gangs in DC know that. The Marines I see every day LIVE by the old AT&T motto "Reach out and touch someone".
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Basically, everybody except law abiding citizens may carry in DC.

Post imported post

Toad wrote:
    Basically, everybody except law abiding citizens may carry in DC.
    you summed it up quite well.

Post imported post

echo6tango wrote:
    The only military that I know of that carry within the D.C. limits are Marines
    Boiling (Air Force)and the Naval yard (Navy)both have service personnel that carry while on duty.
    Along with civilian SP's which are armed.

[line]
    As others have stated, onlylaw abiding citizens are restricted inthe nations Capitol.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin